The PENON official thread
Aug 13, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #482 of 13,652
That's how much I appreciate their sound and even if I have spent a lot more money in the past for a pair of Iems I believe that ISN H40 soundwise could easily fit into the 400$ to 500$ category
that's quite easy.
was thinking of >usd.900, to power up the cans im referring to require a hefty amp to power them.
Then there's the portability...

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #483 of 13,652
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #484 of 13,652
These comments, coming from you, is a true testament huh? We've had/have good mids/vocals in our stable of iems.

Say folks, which of the two (this+isn) is more forgiving of less ideal rock recordings? Looking for a beater cause my precious gems need to stay home. Tia
H40 is more forgiving I believe...

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #485 of 13,652
Indeed...... You have a point here....
Nevertheless I thought it would not be a fair comparison for the orbs man.....
That's because H40 is my all time favorite iem (since the first listen straight out of the box) and believe me, if I was to say in public what I feel between those two....
Well..... It would end up like promoting H40 against the Orbs....
That's mainly the reason why I choosed not to bring up or even mention H40's performance compared to the Orb's
I completely adore H40's signature and I wouldn't changed that not even for far more expensive or brand name Iems....
Not a chance....
THE Orbs are a gem indeed for what they are capable of doing with their two driver implementation but I really thought mainly because of my love and addiction of the H40 sound, that a comparison between them would eventually discourage most of the readers there in buying the Orbs when those could easily get H40 for less money..... That is the only truth.... :thinking:
Anyways.... to answer your question (always IMHO) H40 feels like getting two 3-way speakers stucked in your ears
There is a certain "wow" factor in there, with expanded Soundstage and much more weight in each and every note
Smooth as velvet, vast as an ocean, the kind of sound that grabs your heart and soul forever...just like a serein does
A total all-rounder....
That's how much I appreciate their sound and even if I have spent a lot more money in the past for a pair of Iems I believe that ISN H40 soundwise could easily fit into the 400$ to 500$ category

Thanks for the honesty. I don't disagree with your thoughts on both of these IEMs. I also felt the same when I first tried the H40. The wow factor was definitely there. I didn't expect that from a $200+ IEM. As for the Orb, the initial listen wasn't as good, but the more I listened the more I appreciated its advantages versus the H40. For the config, it's not a fair comparison. But for the price point, they're almost the same, hence the comparisons left and right. I feel like you're getting more value from the H40 with its driver configuration and sound quality, but this is not to say that the Orb doesn't give good value for money. I don't feel like I was duped on buying the latter, as its bass and vocals are both satisfying to listen to all day long. I would say that owning both would pretty much end the hunt for a better IEM, at least for my preferred sound.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #486 of 13,652
Thanks for the honesty. I don't disagree with your thoughts on both of these IEMs. I also felt the same when I first tried the H40. The wow factor was definitely there. I didn't expect that from a $200+ IEM. As for the Orb, the initial listen wasn't as good, but the more I listened the more I appreciated its advantages versus the H40. For the config, it's not a fair comparison. But for the price point, they're almost the same, hence the comparisons left and right. I feel like you're getting more value from the H40 with its driver configuration and sound quality, but this is not to say that the Orb doesn't give good value for money. I don't feel like I was duped on buying the latter, as its bass and vocals are both satisfying to listen to all day long. I would say that owning both would pretty much end the hunt for a better IEM, at least for my preferred sound.
[/QUO I agree. I can totally see why the Orbs would be better for some people. They have definitely grown on me. They sound like a more rounded Starfields to my ears. What is great is that they are two iems that have kinda slipped under the radar that are great for those who can't afford the Andromedas,Solaris and Sony ZIR of this world. In these times of recession diminishing returns are more apt than ever. If you buy both of these gems you can't really go wrong. Totally different signatures with something for everyone

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #487 of 13,652
Here’s the Orb's pitch – response
ü The use of medical grade resin material, light and beautiful, comfortable to wear, no strange feeling in contact with the skin. – They’re smooth to the skin & to the touch
ü Made by hand, the earphone shell is solid and more durable – there’s actually some heft to them, truly solid build
ü Exclusive customization,10mm dynamic driver, graphite fiber silk paper dome soft, grainless overhanging diaphragm, long-stroke, high-sensitivity surging bass. – NO flex, the sound reproduction scream quality materials
ü Brass is processed by precision lathe, the size is accurate to 0.1㎜, and the surface is specially treated to prevent oxidation. Compared with stamping parts, the cost is higher. And the sound is especially improved in the low and middle frequencies. – I believe 1 reason the clear shells were selected for the owner to behold its innards & to reflect the quality of the Mids, to my ears, they're clean & clear. The 2 pin connectors have some “snap” to it
:gs1000smile:
I had a tip re: the H40 from 19-01-20, i sincerely believe it's a great in ear! Then came along the Orb, also a very hot tip. Then the Sphere.
I did not pass up for the last 2 sets.
The Sphere has a fantastic 3d imaging & holography i did not come to expect @ this price point! & from a really small pair of shells!
The Sphere has that high degree of being analytical w/o being boring.
Whilst the Orb, is something very special to my ears, i started this hobby from cassette tapes, then vinyl.
The Orbs are natural sounding to my ears. They can go slow or swing fast. The level of engagement is enough to keep my foot tapping by the time i pass the half hour or so. Staging & holo is ofc larger on the Orbs.

ALL 3 are fantastic in ears. They sound great, the value ratio of all 3 are extremely high. All are winners, most especially if you decide to up your cables...
:beerchug:

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #488 of 13,652
Hope your wish come true.... cause this is one tricky hobby and easily one can end up begging for money from friends and relatives.....
As for H40 goes all that i really meant back there was that eventually H40's signature is obviously my all time favorite and the implementation on these monitors is nothing but fantastic as well... Cheers man....

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #489 of 13,652
Hope your wish come true.... cause this is one tricky hobby and easily one can end up begging for money from friends and relatives.....
As for H40 goes all that i really meant back there was that eventually H40's signature is obviously my all time favorite and the implementation on these monitors is nothing but fantastic as well... Cheers man....

Sorry if this is derailing the thread, just want to respond regarding the H40. I found this from the thread:

"If the H40 fits you well, you have no inner ear issues and you enjoy the relaxed detail of the H40, you should be happy. Although, if you want an IEM with a better fit (much smaller), no inner ear suction issues, much cleaner presentation, better instrument separation, faster/tighter bass, and better detail, the FH3 is IEM for you. They do have generally similar FR, but the FH3 has smoother yet still detailed treble. The H40 treble is a tad more abrasive."

If this happens to be true, then I'll have a different target partner for my Orb.

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #490 of 13,652
Sorry if this is derailing the thread, just want to respond regarding the H40. I found this from the thread:

"If the H40 fits you well, you have no inner ear issues and you enjoy the relaxed detail of the H40, you should be happy. Although, if you want an IEM with a better fit (much smaller), no inner ear suction issues, much cleaner presentation, better instrument separation, faster/tighter bass, and better detail, the FH3 is IEM for you. They do have generally similar FR, but the FH3 has smoother yet still detailed treble. The H40 treble is a tad more abrasive."

If this happens to be true, then I'll have a different target partner for my Orb.
Do not know bro...
Haven't heard FH3
Either way, I find H40s treble to be perfect, smooth as velvet without any annoying peak very natural and extended as well....

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #491 of 13,652
Do not know bro...
Haven't heard FH3
Either way, I find H40s treble to be perfect, smooth as velvet without any annoying peak very natural and extended as well....
Me too ! Never heard of the f3. It's all subjective. As alexandros said if you're not careful you can end up bankrupt. Find something you love and stick with it. The endless search for endgame is expensive and futile. The H40 in an affordable price range is very difficult to beat in my eyes .Everyone's mileage differs. If you live by the rule you'll be able to pay your bills !

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #492 of 13,652
I feel you, guys. I'm in no rush to get another IEM. Just got curious with the FH3 being compared to H40. My initial plan was to have both Orb and H40 that's why I'm considering it. No rush though.

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #493 of 13,652
I feel you, guys. I'm in no rush to get another IEM. Just got curious with the FH3 being compared to H40. My initial plan was to have both Orb and H40 that's why I'm considering it. No rush though.
I think you mean the fh5 ? Fiio ! ... You can't go wrong with either. I prefer the H40 many prefer the orbs. Simple! Both render vocals very well. They have different signatures. Worth your while getting both if you can afford them

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #494 of 13,652
I think you mean the fh5 ? Fiio ! ... You can't go wrong with either. I prefer the H40 many prefer the orbs. Simple! Both render vocals very well. They have different signatures. Worth your while getting both if you can afford them

FH3, not the FH5. I was browsing on another thread here and found some intriguing discussions from another forum, specifically this one right here: FH3 vs H40

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #495 of 13,652
FH3, not the FH5. I was browsing on another thread here and found some intriguing discussions from another forum, specifically this one right here: FH3 vs H40
Ok. They are the new fiio iem . I have the fh7 which are very very good. Read reviews and pull the trigger on whatever suits your sound profile bro. Best of luck 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back