The PENON official thread
Dec 18, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #3,976 of 13,627
I’m all over the place. I thought I’d decided eventually in favor of the Aladdin. But listening tonight is making me reconsider. I’m getting a better grasp of what they do differently:

Bass/sub bass : Aladdin puts this at a pretty central “height”, behind everything so that as it comes though it is very immersive but also a little diffused. The Serial gives a slightly more signed edge to it, and puts it *under* whatever else is happening. This can sometimes feel less “open”, and a little compartmentslised, but it also makes things less dreamy and drifty.

Vocals: Serial has the best of what Penon brings to many of their tunings - mids that are full bodied and smooth. At times, I raise things a volume tick overall just to bring them a little more forward. That’s just preference, and not too strong of one that my mind woul wouldn’t adjust in a week. The Aladdin is beautiful for vocals, giving an angelic lift. It is a trade off though, something more weighty and physical vs something that floats and glows. Once more — I appreciate them both here. Example: Hana, in her self titled album.

Treble: I feel the Aladdin extends well, but always at levels that don’t threaten. You get a long spectrum of shimmer, and I have always been impressed at the detail in cymbal reproduction, you can here the atoms bounce around in the metal. However this long reaching but never too intense (in a tasteful way) can become a bit of a “wash” and a lot to process when things get crowded or cacophonous for example at the end of UNKLE’s No Where To Run / Bandits. The Serial is potentially a little too dark here, and this song ending demonstrated it well when switching - the Serial describes the cymbals in a understated way level and also rolls of earlier. If I hadn’t heard them back to back, this level of inclusion may well be perfectly acceptable for the overall mix, but in direct comparison, a fair bit seemed lost to the early dark.

Timbre: This is the one area where the Serial is definitely on top, and is mattering to me far more than I would have imagined. The Aladdin has great timbre. I wouldn’t say it sounds unnatural at all. But the contrast of the two shows just how some instruments should sound. I was listening to the album A Musical Banquet by Jordi Savall and Hesperion XX while I did some art work. And here’s the thing. I listen to very little baroque/classical overall. But this sitting made me realize I would listen to a lot more, and really start to get into it and be engaged with it with this timbre accuracy. This was the one thing this evening which is hugely swaying me. In comparison the horns on the Aladdin are missing their lower grunty body, and the strings start their sounds too softly. I don’t mean to sound like a classical connoisseur, but that’s the whole point, it sounded so much richer and better than I’m used to even with my utterly layman’s ears. I want to seek out more of a certain genre because of these earphones.

That’s all for now, my wife’s waiting for me. But a hugely competitive earphone at this price, I’m not sure if the 3DT with its caveats can stand up to the well rounded package this is, for most listeners.

I’m out of time to sell things we’ll be going to England in a couple of days to be with family, so I’ll have a longer chance to compare things before letting anything go.

Edit: because it’s always crucial to sound signature, just thought I’d add: using stock tips on the Aladdin, using some stubby double flange tips on the Serial - they add virtually no nozzle length while sealing all around, a bit like cut-down foams.

Wish I could have a set with a slider between the profiles/technicalities of both these sets. Different but both so good.
Epic post!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #3,977 of 13,627
Just spent some time with the serial on the Yulong DA1 and it's power conditioner, which I have here on tour....The Serials scaled up magnificantly; timbre, tonality, detail, layering, bass, cohesiveness, it all held together without breaking a sweat....

20211218_181852.jpg

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #3,978 of 13,627
This may change after burn-in, but for right now, the 3DT has a bit more clarity, it's not as dark sounding as the Serial, and the 3DT has a much wider soundstage IMO...

20211218_184544.jpg

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #3,979 of 13,627
listening to this Serial, it is great because it has much better resolution than the 3DT, and that was the one thing I didnt like about the 3dt...and I love the sub bass slam on the Serial. 3DT was mid bass slam... The Serial is much more sophisticated tuning than the 3dt...

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #3,980 of 13,627
listening to this Serial, it is great because it has much better resolution than the 3DT, and that was the one thing I didnt like about the 3dt...and I love the sub bass slam on the Serial. 3DT was mid bass slam... The Serial is much more sophisticated tuning than the 3dt...
Never heard the 3DT but definitely agree on the tuning being quite unusually refined for the price, but Penon has nailed it before with the Globe and Orb there is a pattern and kudos for all audiophile on a budget : so refreshing!

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #3,981 of 13,627
Just switched from Yellow Spinfit to JVC Spiral dots, and the soundstage opens up....

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #3,982 of 13,627
Just switched from Yellow Spinfit to JVC Spiral dots, and the soundstage opens up....

Bingo!

I will never miss an opportunity to buy more tips. It really is so important to find that right one for your preferences.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #3,983 of 13,627
Yes, my other observation is that the stock cable is excellent.

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #3,984 of 13,627
Bingo!

I will never miss an opportunity to buy more tips. It really is so important to find that right one for your preferences.
I tried a bunch of tips and came back to the green ones supplied by Penon. I think it is the first IEM I have ever used the supplied tips.

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #3,985 of 13,627
Yes, my other observation is that the stock cable is excellent.
That would be a big difference from the 3DT. UM gave a cable that I like the look and feel of but holds the earphones back from what they are capable of. The 3DT stock tips are a worse choice than the cable IMO.

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #3,987 of 13,627
Serial
Perfume Garden @ 7:52, played more than twice! I am simply awed at the Sub bass this set is rendering and that's just the bass! The Mids, superb as usual, and the treble!
:gs1000smile:

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #3,989 of 13,627
... and I stopped working! Just listening on the entire set! LOL
Oh man! What Fun!!! on the beach playing!
Very seldom I use punctuations, lol.
And they mean a lot...

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #3,990 of 13,627
My Serial shipped today with DHL Express - they might just land before Christmas 🤞
I hope you'll enjoy your Serial, and tuned according to your preference...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back