The PENON official thread
Dec 17, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #3,961 of 13,785
Dec 17, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #3,962 of 13,785
I’m all over the place. I thought I’d decided eventually in favor of the Aladdin. But listening tonight is making me reconsider. I’m getting a better grasp of what they do differently:

Bass/sub bass : Aladdin puts this at a pretty central “height”, behind everything so that as it comes though it is very immersive but also a little diffused. The Serial gives a slightly more signed edge to it, and puts it *under* whatever else is happening. This can sometimes feel less “open”, and a little compartmentslised, but it also makes things less dreamy and drifty.

Vocals: Serial has the best of what Penon brings to many of their tunings - mids that are full bodied and smooth. At times, I raise things a volume tick overall just to bring them a little more forward. That’s just preference, and not too strong of one that my mind woul wouldn’t adjust in a week. The Aladdin is beautiful for vocals, giving an angelic lift. It is a trade off though, something more weighty and physical vs something that floats and glows. Once more — I appreciate them both here. Example: Hana, in her self titled album.

Treble: I feel the Aladdin extends well, but always at levels that don’t threaten. You get a long spectrum of shimmer, and I have always been impressed at the detail in cymbal reproduction, you can here the atoms bounce around in the metal. However this long reaching but never too intense (in a tasteful way) can become a bit of a “wash” and a lot to process when things get crowded or cacophonous for example at the end of UNKLE’s No Where To Run / Bandits. The Serial is potentially a little too dark here, and this song ending demonstrated it well when switching - the Serial describes the cymbals in a understated way level and also rolls of earlier. If I hadn’t heard them back to back, this level of inclusion may well be perfectly acceptable for the overall mix, but in direct comparison, a fair bit seemed lost to the early dark.

Timbre: This is the one area where the Serial is definitely on top, and is mattering to me far more than I would have imagined. The Aladdin has great timbre. I wouldn’t say it sounds unnatural at all. But the contrast of the two shows just how some instruments should sound. I was listening to the album A Musical Banquet by Jordi Savall and Hesperion XX while I did some art work. And here’s the thing. I listen to very little baroque/classical overall. But this sitting made me realize I would listen to a lot more, and really start to get into it and be engaged with it with this timbre accuracy. This was the one thing this evening which is hugely swaying me. In comparison the horns on the Aladdin are missing their lower grunty body, and the strings start their sounds too softly. I don’t mean to sound like a classical connoisseur, but that’s the whole point, it sounded so much richer and better than I’m used to even with my utterly layman’s ears. I want to seek out more of a certain genre because of these earphones.

That’s all for now, my wife’s waiting for me. But a hugely competitive earphone at this price, I’m not sure if the 3DT with its caveats can stand up to the well rounded package this is, for most listeners.

I’m out of time to sell things we’ll be going to England in a couple of days to be with family, so I’ll have a longer chance to compare things before letting anything go.

Edit: because it’s always crucial to sound signature, just thought I’d add: using stock tips on the Aladdin, using some stubby double flange tips on the Serial - they add virtually no nozzle length while sealing all around, a bit like cut-down foams.

Wish I could have a set with a slider between the profiles/technicalities of both these sets. Different but both so good.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #3,963 of 13,785
I think the Serial is more sophisticated than the 3DT... I just got the Yulong DA1 dac/amp with seperate power conditioner (total $4K) today on tour, and I have my PWAudio Monile50s cable ($1K); so with all that performance coming into the serial, you would expect it's limitations to be revealed, alas, the Serial is rising to the occasion beautifully...Not even burned in yet and they sound fantastic!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #3,965 of 13,785
Finally joined the Serial club, ordered this morning - can't wait 🥳

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #3,966 of 13,785
I finally understand what an "analogue tonality" is...great texture too.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #3,967 of 13,785
I finally understand what an "analogue tonality" is...great texture too.

Welcome to the Penon house sound! Enjoy my friend :)

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #3,969 of 13,785
They’re great all rounders aren’t they?
They are. But I would say vocals, violin, viola, saxophone, and oboe are also standouts for the Serial. Penon and mids...

kool-aid-man-oh-yeah-gif-2.jpg

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #3,970 of 13,785
Finally joined the Serial club, ordered this morning - can't wait 🥳

This set will be very relevant in your collection - I read somewhere your dynamic driver preference...

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #3,971 of 13,785
Initial impressions of the Serial are very very positive...similiar to 3dt but the Serial seems to have better resolution and a bit more of a subbass prescence. Soundstage seems a bit wider too...gotta burn these in but out of box they sound excellent off my M8...Very generous and high quality carry case, accesories and leather pouch!

20211217_192705.jpg
Glad you’re fond of em. Let us know to what extent you hear differences among various gain adjustments please. Enjoy!

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #3,972 of 13,785
Timbre: This is the one area where the Serial is definitely on top, and is mattering to me far more than I would have imagined. The Aladdin has great timbre. I wouldn’t say it sounds unnatural at all. But the contrast of the two shows just how some instruments should sound. I was listening to the album A Musical Banquet by Jordi Savall and Hesperion XX while I did some art work. And here’s the thing. I listen to very little baroque/classical overall. But this sitting made me realize I would listen to a lot more, and really start to get into it and be engaged with it with this timbre accuracy. This was the one thing this evening which is hugely swaying me. In comparison the horns on the Aladdin are missing their lower grunty body, and the strings start their sounds too softly. I don’t mean to sound like a classical connoisseur, but that’s the whole point, it sounded so much richer and better than I’m used to even with my utterly layman’s ears. I want to seek out more of a certain genre because of these earphones.

That’s all for now, my wife’s waiting for me. But a hugely competitive earphone at this price, I’m not sure if the 3DT with its caveats can stand up to the well rounded package this is, for most listeners.

I’m out of time to sell things we’ll be going to England in a couple of days to be with family, so I’ll have a longer chance to compare things before letting anything go.

Edit: because it’s always crucial to sound signature, just thought I’d add: using stock tips on the Aladdin, using some stubby double flange tips on the Serial - they add virtually no nozzle length while sealing all around, a bit like cut-down foams.

Wish I could have a set with a slider between the profiles/technicalities of both these sets. Different but both so good.

Yes! Timbre is possibly the thing I love most about the Serial, just like the 3DT.

The 3DT made me listen to a lot more classical and jazz, for the sheer pleasure of hearing the instruments as well as the music itself. And now the Serial is doing that all over again. Case in point being how your comments made me reach for Jordi Savall (because, suggestible) and it resulted in one of those listening sessions that went on much longer than intended as he roared through the Brandenburgs because I stopped listening to the monitor and started listening to the music.

They are. But I would say vocals, violin, viola, saxophone, and oboe are also standouts for the Serial. Penon and mids...

kool-aid-man-oh-yeah-gif-2.jpg

Agree. The Serial wins on vocals, brass, strings and most other mid-centric instruments. And anything that calls for that tasty slab of meat sub bass.

I revisited my early Serial vs 3DT impressions and they mostly still stand - I love the Serial and it complements and trades punches with the 3DT but if I had to choose (and I wouldn’t want to), I’d still reach for the 3DT when attack matters more - like percussion, including piano. Also treble…

Treble: I feel the Aladdin extends well, but always at levels that don’t threaten. You get a long spectrum of shimmer, and I have always been impressed at the detail in cymbal reproduction, you can here the atoms bounce around in the metal. However this long reaching but never too intense (in a tasteful way) can become a bit of a “wash” and a lot to process when things get crowded or cacophonous for example at the end of UNKLE’s No Where To Run / Bandits. The Serial is potentially a little too dark here, and this song ending demonstrated it well when switching - the Serial describes the cymbals in a understated way level and also rolls of earlier. If I hadn’t heard them back to back, this level of inclusion may well be perfectly acceptable for the overall mix, but in direct comparison, a fair bit seemed lost to the early dark.

I haven’t heard the Aladdin but this is possibly the most tempting thing I’ve seen written about it yet. I’m such a sucker for hearing atoms bounce off cymbals.

And yes, agree about the Serial being a bit dark on top for my taste (though probably not for most other people’s) in that cymbals and other instruments that rely on top end shimmer can be a bit nondescript. It seems to be getting a little better with burn in (actual or brain burn in, who knows) but it’s why I think every little bit of silver in its cable helps. The stock cable is excellent though and the silver is literally the only thing I’d want to add.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #3,973 of 13,785
This set will be very relevant in your collection - I read somewhere your dynamic driver preference...

Yes I'm a huge fan of dynamic drivers and having a lot of fun exploring various types of tuning in different brands. Can't wait to hear my first Penon and 3 x DDs!

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #3,974 of 13,785
I’ve been patient with Serial in a way I would never be with an iem costing much more. Probably because I can afford the former, not so much the latter tho it hasn’t stopped me. Ugh.
I put them in and generally lose interest in reaching for something else.
They seem to readily compete with iems priced much higher, although I’m concerned my wm1a may be limiting factor power-wise. Nevertheless, on hi gain volume not exceeding low sixties.
Gonna soon try a PW cable I have with more silver.
Sub bass is a pleasant presence on Serial. Cheers

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #3,975 of 13,785
I’ve been patient with Serial in a way I would never be with an iem costing much more. Probably because I can afford the former, not so much the latter tho it hasn’t stopped me. Ugh.
I put them in and generally lose interest in reaching for something else.
They seem to readily compete with iems priced much higher, although I’m concerned my wm1a may be limiting factor power-wise. Nevertheless, on hi gain volume not exceeding low sixties.
Gonna soon try a PW cable I have with more silver.
Sub bass is a pleasant presence on Serial. Cheers
I absolutely adore my PWAudio Monile50s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back