The PENON official thread
Sep 29, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #3,376 of 13,652
Great seeing more folks getting the Fan! Let us know what you think of it. :relaxed:
surely I will. But at the moment Iam testing the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 (getting a short session, my having mmcx issus), next will be the AAW A3H+. The Volt also arrived last week, then lets see when FAN arriving :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #3,377 of 13,652
Penon IEM, only to find out our forecast gave in to ISN
Are Penon and ISN under the same company but diff. brand?

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #3,378 of 13,652
Globe, a little lacking compared to both Orb and Fan.

Edit to add/to be more precise, perhaps it’s the note/edge definition that’s weaker that I perceived as lacking quantity, more of a it’s there but not quite there, could be a little more. Apology for not knowing a better descriptor for it.
More bass than the Globe!? I would not want that. I don’t perceive the FAN as having more or better bass than the Globe. I am using ePro Horns on both. The Globe doesn’t have “mid-bass slam”. Maybe that is what you (but not me) are missing?

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #3,379 of 13,652
surely I will. But at the moment Iam testing the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 (getting a short session, my having mmcx issus), next will be the AAW A3H+. The Volt also arrived last week, then lets see when FAN arriving :wink:

Don't give up on this pair easily. Wait till you reach past the 300 hour mark.
Got my pair May 2021.
Nowadays, I hear exacting amounts of est treble, a very hi-fi treble...

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #3,381 of 13,652
More bass than the Globe!? I would not want that. I don’t perceive the FAN as having more or better bass than the Globe. I am using ePro Horns on both. The Globe doesn’t have “mid-bass slam”. Maybe that is what you (but not me) are missing?
Same here, ePro on both. I don’t find the Fan having better bass than Globe, just the characteristic and perception of it having lesser quantity. Now I don’t mean by a ton, just minuscule nitpicking. The Orb is sub bass focus as well and it’s bass is definitely more in quantity.

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #3,382 of 13,652
Sep 29, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #3,384 of 13,652
yes, they get a special place. This should be my "Endgame" IEM
They are indeed! Holographic wide sound field.
Fits any genre.
Tuning is very hi-fi for me...

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #3,385 of 13,652
Are Penon and ISN under the same company but diff. brand?
No, they not in the same company. This is what I know.
ISN is an IEM designer / builder.
Penon distributes and sells ISN products as authorised stockist...

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #3,386 of 13,652
In my DD experience, from my previous and current collections, the dd upper treble can be bright, excessively bright.
But w/ Penon's CV, they are great @ controlling the top end.
I believe they can succeed just the same...
Exactly my thoughts. I wanted to get a DD IEM originally, but each one I saw was either too bright up top, v-shaped, or lacked technicals. If Penon can combine their house sound (but maybe a bit more balanced like the Legend) with a decently technical DD setup, they will have a real winner.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #3,387 of 13,652
Exactly my thoughts. I wanted to get a DD IEM originally, but each one I saw was either too bright up top, v-shaped, or lacked technicals. If Penon can combine their house sound (but maybe a bit more balanced like the Legend) with a decently technical DD setup, they will have a real winner.
Yes.
And it doesn't have to be with high grade cable, a decent cable will lower the price. Whoever wants to add also mid/high tier cable will just do it. But affordability will help it to be reachable and help it to sell better.
It might have helped if you could choose a cable combo with iem, so you could choose stock if you wanted or you could also have a discount on different cable options if you wanted to upgrade.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #3,388 of 13,652
Yeah, I'm not a big cable believer so I prefer if manufacturers save money and put it towards IEM R&D or reduce the total cost. I swap them with XINHS cables anyways. Speaking of which, the Legend pairs quite nicely with XINHS's 8-core copper-plated gold cable. And I find it more comfortable than the stock one.

IMG_20210929_232147.jpg

Having listened to the Legend daily for a couple weeks now, the only real criticisms I have is that the bass can be a bit soft (as is characteristic to BA drivers), and it could use ~2db in the mid/low treble for a bit more energy up top. Other than that, it's leagues above anything else I've listened to in all departments. Midrange tonality is superb -- it hits that sweet spot where both male and female vocals sound excellent without being too muddy or shouty. The 4 Sonion BAs work their magic and the midrange is rich and exceptionally smooth. I find the Legend to be very revealing of how a track is mastered. A lot of older metal tracks sound quite poor, but it shines with most everything else. Definitely a solid all-rounder and easy to listen to for long periods of time. If I had to rate it I'd give it a 4/5, and it's removed my desire to upgrade or try out anything else. Very happy overall, and I'm excited to see what else Penon releases in the future.

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #3,389 of 13,652
... A dd treble quality akin to z1r would be really nice

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3,390 of 13,652
Happy Holidays! Enjoy and stay safe...
01-05 October
1633004051386.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back