The PENON official thread
Sep 2, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #3,151 of 13,721
The only thundering Subbass I heard was monarch and honeydew in iems , maybe one day I will have a z1r to try , speakers somehow I still prefer for Subbass idk why
This has like a good 15 db or more boost in midbass and subass from baseline in mids WOW !!!!
I think you've got it wrong here. Judging by the Major Axis and Minor Axis, I believe the major is 10 dB and minor is 2 dB. In that case the boost is around 8-9 dB at around 80-90 Hz. And I think to maintain proper balance that's the ideal amount. 15 dB boost would be too damn much.

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #3,152 of 13,721
It's certainly not messing around and clearly Penon is happy to eschew the sterility seen in some of the TOTL flagships. The 4 woofers can move some serious air on tracks by Lorn and in other electronic music.

I'm going to listen to some OST today, including Bladerunner 2049 and Tenet and I'll be listening out for the subbass carefully.
For chekcing some serious subbass, listen to this: The Dark Knight OST - Why So Serious? (03:25 onwards). Thank me later :wink:

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #3,153 of 13,721
For chekcing some serious subbass, listen to this: The Dark Knight OST - Why So Serious? (03:25 onwards). Thank me later :wink:
Well I do like it too ,any thing will do there It gives you a good feel, but best thing there is to see how deep it goes with which iem/headphone/ yes my ears 🤣 entire track though especially is really good

And the graph yeah I took the bassline from the mids , must have forgotten to mention it !!
Thanks for letting me know edit : I took the gaps as 5db each between two horizontal lines hmm 🤔 indexing is hence imp 😐
Now I know why I got scolded when I made graphs in maths class. 🤣

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #3,154 of 13,721

Oh don't you worry - that's another go-to track for subbass. What a movie too!

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #3,155 of 13,721
1630575376876.png

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #3,156 of 13,721

The Legend does this ambient track especially well. There's subbass beating like a heart for most of the track and there's great extension on display.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #3,157 of 13,721

The Legend does this ambient track especially well. There's subbass beating like a heart for most of the track and there's great extension on display.

Pulsating indeed! I can feel it.
They're caressing my ears right now...
#Ambient_Post_Rock_Shoegaze_fTw

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #3,158 of 13,721
Listening in 020 or 120 is the best way to go for OST and ambient to my ear. I can listen to this all day - pure joy. Unless you're feeling especially indulgent and you want pounding bass in which case 123 is the drug of choice. The bass in the 0 position is very tastefully done and reminds me of the Isabellae. Things are well rounded and it plays into the technicalities a bit better. Space and imaging is more appreciable.

The Legend is full of drama and heart. I'm recharging my M8 multiple times a day to continue listening!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #3,159 of 13,721
My chime, pls try the entire album...
Folder.png

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #3,160 of 13,721
Penon's definition of smooth, warm & technical (but not boring)...
1630577787152.png

Bravo!

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #3,161 of 13,721
Penon's definition of smooth, warm & technical (but not boring)...
1630577787152.png
Bravo!

It's taken me more than a year to find my preferred sound signature but it's exactly that. Penon know how to have fun and show emotion in their tunings but do it with some control and thought.

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #3,164 of 13,721
The Legend is all-BA? How's the bass? I'm not sure I'd call myself a basshead, but I do need at least a bit of tactile bass impact.

Yeah, this was my reservation going into the Legend. Bass timbre and bass impact.

With low frequency switch in the 0 position body and presence is great for instrumental and bringing out more texture. Turn the switch to the on position and you're treated to what I would say is great impact and incredible sub presence. It is different from DD bass but I think that's inevitable. The impact is there but its onset isn't as defined as DD. It has not got in the way of my enjoyment at all at this point and both percussion of world music and metal has enough kick in the low end.

Edit: as you can see from my signature, I like DDs...alot. So I was pleasantly suprised to say the least.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #3,165 of 13,721
Yeah, this was my reservation going into the Legend. Bass timbre and bass impact.

With low frequency switch in the 0 position body and presence is great for instrumental and bringing out more texture. Turn the switch to the on position and you're treated to what I would say is great impact and incredible sub presence. It is different from DD bass but I think that's inevitable. The impact is there but its onset isn't as defined as DD. It has not got in the way of my enjoyment at all at this point and both percussion of world music and metal has enough kick in the low end.

Edit: as you can see from my signature, I like DDs...alot. So I was pleasantly suprised to say the least.

Cool, that sounds promising! For once I actually have a couple of test songs in mind if you're willing to take a few minutes to check them out:

Starting from around 1:40, that fast drum-like beating that sort of travels around the soundstage has a really pleasing tactile feel to it on my headphones. Is it there on the Legend?

This one has plenty of enjoyably rumbly sub-bass, throughout the song but very clearly right after 0:40, for example. Not a TON, but it's definitely there. Feel any rumble with the IEMs?

EDIT: Actually, since I've been listening to so much grime recently, here's a bonus round:

The very beginning has a lot of rumble for me. How does it sound/feel on the Legend?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back