The PENON official thread
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #3,166 of 13,721
Cool, that sounds promising! For once I actually have a couple of test songs in mind if you're willing to take a few minutes to check them out:

Starting from around 1:40, that fast drum-like beating that sort of travels around the soundstage has a really pleasing tactile feel to it on my headphones. Is it there on the Legend?

This one has plenty of enjoyably rumbly sub-bass, throughout the song but very clearly right after 0:40, for example. Not a TON, but it's definitely there. Feel any rumble with the IEMs?

EDIT: Actually, since I've been listening to so much grime recently, here's a bonus round:

The very beginning has a lot of rumble for me. How does it sound/feel on the Legend?

Oh boy. Tool. My favourite band. I saw them live on their 10,000 days tour. I'll give that a listen - a track I know very well - and report back.

Also familiar with Lorn.

Give me a moment!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #3,167 of 13,721
Tool - Chocolate Chip Trip

1st pass - 020 (atmosphere enhanced) - tactility at 1:40 present, drums satisfying throughout.
2nd pass - 023 (low Hz enhanced) - tactility at 1:40 increased, gong hits and bass drum with a meatier body.

In both passes, even without the high Hz switch in the on position the cymbals are expertly done with plenty of detail and natural resonance that's not cut short or drawn out too far.

I hadn't listened to Tool with the Legend before your request. As a proud member of the Tool army I'm not left wanting more. In fact, I've struggled to find a set that can do metal (more specifically, Tool) well enough for my tastes and that's led to a drastic change in my music listening habits over the past year from metal to world music and jazz. As an example, with most of my sets there is usually not enough body or authority in the low end to convey Careys presence on the drums, or simply too little or too much energy uptop that either dulls electric strings and cymbal crashes or makes things much too fatiguing for enjoyable listening. The second issue I've had is finding a set with the technicalities to handle the layering and dynamics of most metal music. The all BA setup has no issue here. The Legend does Tool better than any set I've tried (including Traillii that lacked the body in the mids I was after) and will probably see me listening to more of my old libary.

Lorn - Acid Rain

1st pass - 020 - I hear a soft but perceptable rumble here at 0:40, non-fatiguing and still atmospheric.
2nd pass - 023 - rumble present.

My usual test track of Lorns for subbass rumble is DRAWN OUT LIKE AN ACHE. The subbass is palpable in this track and undeniable on 023. However, again not fatiguing, it holds detail and supports the mids with a good degree of balance. What stands out with Lorns music on the Legend is the atmosphere and spherical staging, you're deep in there within the music. It's not the deepest stage but there's enough space to avoid congestion. Again another reason why this set is incredible for enjoying ambient or electronic music.

Aitch x AJ Tracey - Rain

1 pass - 023 - subbass there, excellent vocal clarity, enjoyable listen, don't think there is exaggerated sub on that track but it's there giving the whole track low end body.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #3,168 of 13,721
Listening in 020 or 120 is the best way to go for OST and ambient to my ear. I can listen to this all day - pure joy. Unless you're feeling especially indulgent and you want pounding bass in which case 123 is the drug of choice. The bass in the 0 position is very tastefully done and reminds me of the Isabellae. Things are well rounded and it plays into the technicalities a bit better. Space and imaging is more appreciable.

The Legend is full of drama and heart. I'm recharging my M8 multiple times a day to continue listening!
That’s some intense track testing with multiple recharges! :muscle:
Penon's definition of smooth, warm & technical (but not boring)...

Bravo!
I think that is precisely why we are all here. :ksc75smile:
It's taken me more than a year to find my preferred sound signature but it's exactly that. Penon know how to have fun and show emotion in their tunings but do it with some control and thought.
It all started with the Orb for me and henceforth became my preferred brand since. I doubt I’ll ever ventured anywhere near Volts + Totem or Legend + Storm territory but sincerely hope the folks at Penon will come out with more outstanding mid-ranger in the near future.

As for the Legend, I think it’ll play extremely well with works by 9 Lazy 9.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #3,169 of 13,721
It all started with the Orb for me and henceforth became my preferred brand since. I doubt I’ll ever ventured anywhere near Volts + Totem or Legend + Storm territory but sincerely hope the folks at Penon will come out with more outstanding mid-ranger in the near future.

I hope you're in a position to hear one of their flagships one day. I'm using the Legend with the Penon Flow (stock cable) - which is now available on the Penon website it seems. A very good match to bring out the detail from top to bottom.

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #3,171 of 13,721
Tool - Chocolate Chip Trip

1st pass - 020 (atmosphere enhanced) - tactility at 1:40 present, drums satisfying throughout.
2nd pass - 023 (low Hz enhanced) - tactility at 1:40 increased, gong hits and bass drum with a meatier body.

In both passes, even without the high Hz switch in the on position the cymbals are expertly done with plenty of detail and natural resonance that's not cut short or drawn out too far.

I hadn't listened to Tool with the Legend before your request. As a proud member of the Tool army I'm not left wanting more. In fact, I've struggled to find a set that can do metal (more specifically, Tool) well enough for my tastes and that's led to a drastic change in my music listening habits over the past year from metal to world music and jazz. As an example, with most of my sets there is usually not enough body or authority in the low end to convey Careys presence on the drums, or simply too little or too much energy uptop that either dulls electric strings and cymbal crashes or makes things much too fatiguing for enjoyable listening. The second issue I've had is finding a set with the technicalities to handle the layering and dynamics of most metal music. The all BA setup has no issue here. The Legend does Tool better than any set I've tried (including Traillii that lacked the body in the mids I was after) and will probably see me listening to more of my old libary.

Lorn - Acid Rain

1st pass - 020 - I hear a soft but perceptable rumble here at 0:40, non-fatiguing and still atmospheric.
2nd pass - 023 - rumble present.

My usual test track of Lorns for subbass rumble is DRAWN OUT LIKE AN ACHE. The subbass is palpable in this track and undeniable on 023. However, again not fatiguing, it holds detail and supports the mids with a good degree of balance. What stands out with Lorns music on the Legend is the atmosphere and spherical staging, you're deep in there within the music. It's not the deepest stage but there's enough space to avoid congestion. Again another reason why this set is incredible for enjoying ambient or electronic music.

Aitch x AJ Tracey - Rain

1 pass - 023 - subbass there, excellent vocal clarity, enjoyable listen, don't think there is exaggerated sub on that track but it's there giving the whole track low end body.

Dang, that's a very detailed response. Thanks a ton for checking the songs out!

The Legend sounds very promising indeed. I'm gonna give the Orb and/or Globe a try soon (like I keep saying lol) and if I like the Penon house sound, I'm definitely gonna have to consider the Legends too. Would be cool to own a clearly higher end (and end game for me) pair of IEMs too. The Penon engineers seem to consider emotional engagement and musicality important factors and I'm inclined to agree.

Also--how's the isolation? Since it doesn't have any dynamic drivers, I guess it wouldn't need any vents?

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #3,172 of 13,721
Dang, that's a very detailed response. Thanks a ton for checking the songs out!

The Legend sounds very promising indeed. I'm gonna give the Orb and/or Globe a try soon (like I keep saying lol) and if I like the Penon house sound, I'm definitely gonna have to consider the Legends too. Would be cool to own a clearly higher end (and end game for me) pair of IEMs too. The Penon engineers seem to consider emotional engagement and musicality important factors and I'm inclined to agree.

Also--how's the isolation? Since it doesn't have any dynamic drivers, I guess it wouldn't need any vents?

You're welcome, I should be thanking you for putting me back onto Tool. The progression from Globe to Legend is quite natural and several steps up in all domains.

There is a small vent but isolation is above average compared to my other sets.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #3,173 of 13,721
Listening in 020 or 120 is the best way to go for OST and ambient to my ear. I can listen to this all day - pure joy. Unless you're feeling especially indulgent and you want pounding bass in which case 123 is the drug of choice. The bass in the 0 position is very tastefully done and reminds me of the Isabellae. Things are well rounded and it plays into the technicalities a bit better. Space and imaging is more appreciable.

The Legend is full of drama and heart. I'm recharging my M8 multiple times a day to continue listening!
I think I’m leaning towards the 020 configuration for most genres.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #3,175 of 13,721
One thing I most enjoyed about the Globe was the spacious, spherical soundstage with excellent instrument placement. Other IEMs I've tried have been wider, but none have recreated that same depth. Does the Legend maintain or expand upon that feeling?

Also, how is the pressure buildup? I've had issues with some BA setups before and I'm curious if the vent on the Legend would remedy that.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #3,176 of 13,721
One thing I most enjoyed about the Globe was the spacious, spherical soundstage with excellent instrument placement. Other IEMs I've tried have been wider, but none have recreated that same depth. Does the Legend maintain or expand upon that feeling?

Also, how is the pressure buildup? I've had issues with some BA setups before and I'm curious if the vent on the Legend would remedy that.
Comparisons made on 020.

It's very hard to compare these psychoacoustics but I think the Legend remains as spherical but expands stage depth and does a better job of forward projection of space, which I'm always struggling to perceive. Instrument placement is just as coherent. Imaging is more dimensional. Some elements of the presentation are intimate just by virtue of the tuning. It's not a set that puts you far from the action.

I don't have any issues with pressure build up. Spending most of the day with them in. Can only assume the vents are doing their job well.

Edit: forgot to state the obvious - moving from the Globe to the Legend is stark in nearly all aspects. Much greater detail and life to the presentation on the Legend.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #3,177 of 13,721
I took the official Penon graphs for the Globe and Legend (switches configs 000 + 123) and overlaid them on top of each other. I find it helpful to visually compare frequency responses. This is assuming they used the same measuring equipment each time, though. Normalized at 1k.

Legend+Globe.PNG

My takeaway is that the bass switch is going to have the biggest affect on the overall sound. In my opinion, the 0 bass switch looks the most appealing, as it might be a bit thick and V-shaped with it turned on.

Really tempted to pick one of these up. Seems like the Legend addressed my main concerns with the Globe/Volt's frequency responses, and no other brand I've tried has such engaging tuning approaches.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #3,178 of 13,721
I took the official Penon graphs for the Globe and Legend (switches configs 000 + 123) and overlaid them on top of each other. I find it helpful to visually compare frequency responses. This is assuming they used the same measuring equipment each time, though. Normalized at 1k.

Legend+Globe.PNG

My takeaway is that the bass switch is going to have the biggest affect on the overall sound. In my opinion, the 0 bass switch looks the most appealing, as it might be a bit thick and V-shaped with it turned on.

Really tempted to pick one of these up. Seems like the Legend addressed my main concerns with the Globe/Volt's frequency responses, and no other brand I've tried has such engaging tuning approaches.
You will not be disappointed by the Legend. It’s the @Penon house sound on steroids and the stock cable, the Flow, is actually very good too.

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #3,179 of 13,721
My takeaway is that the bass switch is going to have the biggest affect on the overall sound.

This is certainly what I hear - a big difference when you touch switch 3.

Thanks for overlaying them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back