The PENON official thread
Aug 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #3,016 of 14,160
I updated my impressions here about a week ago after more critical listening. I don't think it's perfect. But I just keep coming back to it. It has a musicality to it that every other IEMs I've tried cant reproduce. Something like the Aladdin sounds totally cold and sterile after listening to the Globe.

The staging really grew on me after I listened to it more. It not the widest but the positional imaging and depth are great imo (but I can only compare to what I've heard, no TOTLs). Plus there's just something so smooth about Sonion BAs.

I would like a bit more upper mid presence, detail, and treble extension. And then it would be really close to perfect. It looks like the Volt has all of that, and I'm hunting for a used one. Overall its a very cohesive presentation. A lot of other IEMs in this range sound like the manufacturers just stuck a bunch of good, technical drivers in a shell and left it at that (ex B2 Dusk) and forgot to make them SOUND good.
They (BA receivers) are the premium kind. I believe all the way to the shell materials are premium.
Have you tried to tip roll?

The Volts have made quite an challenging task, combine pleasantness (musicality) and technicalities. They're smooth, but detailed. There is NO, "WOW I'm amazed" on your first hour, or even the 1st day! Let it simmer, slowly but surely. I get my best sparkle and superlative bass, on top of the epic Mids, using the Sedna Earfit standard tips.
If you're coming from the Globe, this is not a next step. This is a Leap!
I'd like to simplify things, Combine ALL of the (4) IEMs strength, enlarge the scale of imaging and 3d holographic imaging, scale a la Full size premium priced headphone = the Volt...

Each release is unique, not repeating. Tuning of each pair is also unique
Sphere, 1 BA receiver. Neutral a little warm. a single BA tuning done right. Fantastic bass for a BA! very good controlled but extended, sparkly treble.
This remarkable pair can play EDM and classics equally well - for a BA!
Orb, 1 dd, 1BA receiver. Excellent Bass, warm engaging mids, smooth treble. The most analogue sounding in this list. Some might say the treble here too smooth.
For me, best in jazz, classic rock, vocals
Fan, 1 dd - Basshead iem. slight con, needs power to sing
Globe, 1 dd, 2 BA receivers. The most energetic pair in this list on top of Fan & Sphere. Scaling of imaging is slightly larger than Orb. Treble better than Orb.
This pair does all genre
Commonality : Excellent warm engaging mids, including the Fan - even the most recessed, to a certain degree, very good mids.
Tuned for long listening sessions
In a nutshell, The Globe is an improvement over the Orbs:
1. level of engagement, more energetic
2. Treble
3. more technical
4. a little more stage depth
There are some strengths unique on the Orbs. I love the Orbs since I had them from day 1. Still do. This goes to the Fan & Spheres, too. For me, the Globes
simply have another kind of presentation...

The Volts sit along side other TOTL in ear headphones, and they sit comfortably well...

Aug 24, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,017 of 14,160
Agree on all fronts with @ehjie here. Globe can be a tad bright if you are used to dark’ish signature.
I was coming from the W50 and the Aurisonics Kickers. Both L shape signature. The Orbs are the perfect upgrade. Quality bass. I can feel the bass as well, excellent mids and smooth treble...

Aug 24, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #3,018 of 14,160
Thank you very much for the music, Charlie...

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #3,019 of 14,160
I red some reviews of the Orb and it indeed seems like to fit the bill. Nice to see some comparison with the H40. What I red they are both great IEMs. One thing what concerns me is the fit... I need IEMs with a deeper insertion otherwise it will get loose especially in my right ear.

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #3,020 of 14,160
Agree on all fronts with @ehjie here. Globe can be a tad bright if you are used to dark’ish signature.

Cool, think I'm gonna start with the Orbs, then, and move on to the Globes if I feel like I need some more brightness.

I do definitely tend to prefer warm, bassy, dark signatures, though, so it sounds like the Orbs should be bangers.

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #3,021 of 14,160
Not going to lie, that Legend graph @ian91 posted looks quite tempting. That mid-bass bump :heart_eyes:

Its better to wait out a bit. @KickAssChewGum and @Dsnuts will have their sets very soon.
Penon releases are unique and it's a smart way how they do them. Each set, even the previous don't have any intention to supersede. With their respective price points, its nice to see, the next model will not make the previous set redundant.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/post-16505698

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/post-16523619

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #3,022 of 14,160
Cool, think I'm gonna start with the Orbs, then, and move on to the Globes if I feel like I need some more brightness.

I do definitely tend to prefer warm, bassy, dark signatures, though, so it sounds like the Orbs should be bangers.
If you were coming from the likes of 846, W50, aurisonics (2.5 & kickers), the Orb is the natural way to go.
Larger staging, better engaging mids.
The Aurisonics 2.0 is very similar (in tuning) to the Globe, but with better energy, larger imaging...

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #3,023 of 14,160
If you were coming from the likes of 846, W50, aurisonics (2.5 & kickers), the Orb is the natural way to go.
Larger staging, better engaging mids.
The Aurisonics 2.0 is very similar (in tuning) to the Globe, but with better energy, larger imaging...

Don't have any experience with those, unfortunately. Pretty new to the whole IEM thing, I only have the Blon BL-03s, the FiiO FH3s and the CA Honeydews. Really digging the Honeydews with drum and bass, jungle and grime recently, but they're very source-picky and really only sound great from the Qudelix 5ks. I'm hoping the Orbs would be satisfying on my desktop setup too (iFi Black Label) and with a wider range of genres.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #3,024 of 14,160
Don't have any experience with those, unfortunately. Pretty new to the whole IEM thing, I only have the Blon BL-03s, the FiiO FH3s and the CA Honeydews. Really digging the Honeydews with drum and bass, jungle and grime recently, but they're very source-picky and really only sound great from the Qudelix 5ks. I'm hoping the Orbs would be satisfying on my desktop setup too (iFi Black Label) and with a wider range of genres.
Penon Fan, basshead iem
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/head-fi-basshead-iem-thread-lists-page-1.761433/post-16426002

HoneyDew FRG
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/head-fi-basshead-iem-thread-lists-page-1.761433/post-16432440

Most probably you'll get better sub-bass on the CA honeydews, The Orb's strength is in the Mids. They're rich, full bodied and engaging, but at the same time smooth, having the impression of being relaxed sounding, The excellent mids provide the bridge for the very good bass and smooth treble.
Please note that some have found them too smooth.

Orb Rough fr graph
1629882494379.png

Orb on better cable
1629882613985.png

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #3,025 of 14,160

The Orb shouldn’t disappoint. :beyersmile:

Though I haven’t heard CA Honeydew, but read it’s a superb bassy set. In contrast, the Orb should give you a different kind of enjoyment as it is sub bass focused whereas Honeydew is mid-bass emphasized. If I were to characterized its properties, the Orb’s bass is dense, natural, textured and punches with authority.

Most of Penon’s in-ear have low impedance rating and love some good/clean power/current to shine. I think the Q5K should do great.

Not least, D&B sounds awesome with Orb as well as Hip/Trip Hop thanks to its gorgeous mids.

Have you ordered? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #3,027 of 14,160
Hahah, not quite yet. Still in the middle of buying loads of different tips and seeing what tip rolling does with the Honeydews, so the Orb will have to wait until Oct/Nov.

I want to get the orb too. I love the transparent shell and I also want to see how warm my tastes can go!

Keep us filled in with how you get on when the time comes :)

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #3,028 of 14,160
So I got the Legend in my ears as I am typing. OH BOY! . So far so good. But I was a bit disturbed DHL decided to just leave the package outside my door overnight. Thats lovely.

Gonna let them play out a bit before putting out any initial impressions. Stock cable is very nice. It is a thicker pure silver cable and matches extremely well with the stock sound of the Legend. Also got the Storm to try out. Lots to get into.

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #3,029 of 14,160
So I got the Legend in my ears as I am typing. OH BOY! . So far so good. But I was a bit disturbed DHL decided to just leave the package outside my door overnight. Thats lovely.

Gonna let them play out a bit before putting out any initial impressions. Stock cable is very nice. It is a thicker pure silver cable and matches extremely well with the stock sound of the Legend. Also got the Storm to try out. Lots to get into.

Wahoo! Post some pictures to slake my thirst / impatience. Only when you get a chance ofcourse!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back