The PENON official thread
Aug 14, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #2,941 of 13,652
The Globes absolutely sound like something I’d enjoy a lot, too. Maybe I’ll give them a try later in the year, after my wallet has recovered from my most recent shopping spree.

Would be interested in hearing actual comparisons between the Volt and the Globe too. Those graphs are like.. pretty much identical.

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #2,942 of 13,652
The Globes absolutely sound like something I’d enjoy a lot, too. Maybe I’ll give them a try later in the year, after my wallet has recovered from my most recent shopping spree.

Would be interested in hearing actual comparisons between the Volt and the Globe too. Those graphs are like.. pretty much identical.

They're quickly stealing my heart, while the Aladdins steal my head/brain. Male vocals are excellent and full of body and weight. I haven't heard many IEMs that excel at male vocals...

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #2,943 of 13,652
My Globes arrived today and I've put a few hours into them. Huge thank you again to @ehjie and @KickAssChewGum , whose strong recommendations convinced me to buy these. Also @Dsnuts for the fantastic review.

Weaknesses:
  • Look, I'm by no means a detail freak. But the Globes have the detail of something you'd expect to find in the ~150-200$ range. It's right on the border of where it could start to negatively impact my listening experience. This is my main criticism of the Globe, even though I really like it. The flip side is that these are the most forgiving IEMs for poorly mastered tracks that I've listened to yet.
  • Sub-bass is at the upper limits of my tolerance. It's mostly controlled with the correct tips. Never had something this sub-bassy before so there's probably just some brain burn-in required.
  • This is not an issue to me but the treble has just a hint of BA timbre.

I've been on a hunt for an IEM with my preferred sound signature for a while now. The Globe gets me ~80% of the way to my ""endgame"" (haha good one), closer than any other IEM I've owned thus far.
Re: the Globes - "My tiptoes are in the flagship lounge" - I mentioned this before somewhere here, @H T T knows this feeling as well...

To the folks who have owned both the Globe and the Volt: I'm strongly considering getting one, but it is a considerable investment and I would like to ask some questions about the differences between the two IEMs. Any input would be appreciated. Compared to the Globe, does the Volt:
  1. Have increased clarity and detail, comparable to other IEMs around the 800$ price bracket - Yes, on this price level you should be expecting this as academic
  2. Maintain the excellent, warm midrange and smooth treble - Yes. 4 ests covering the trebles give you very audible detailed, extended smooth response
  3. Have a more refined bass response - Yes. I hear floor standing level bass. On bass highlighted tracks, add a sub-woofer. Actually better bass even on a usd.2,400 set
  4. Have better imaging - Yes, scale is also larger this time, comparable to a usd.2,999 full size headphone - as well as very close to its tuning, Warm, smooth, very technical
  5. Perform at least ~20-25% better overall (If you absolutely had to quantify the differences, although I know this is incredibly subjective) - Yes, this is academic as well.

Thanks for coming to my HEAD Talk!
Please refer to my response above
Further to the above:

I'd strongly recommend this
https://penonaudio.com/penon-totem-adapter-cable.html
1628922939714.png

Congrats on your Globes. If you're chasing after a True end of Game set, prefer the Penon house sound, which is basically, Warm, bass-boost, full bodied mids, extended smooth treble. I'd be more than happy to recommend you the Volts.
Tuned for very long listening sessions. You'll rediscover your favorite albums. You'll simply enjoy your Music!
In my set, this is THE ONLY PAIR that is very forgiving even on the worst recorded modern albums, worst re-mastered album. Even Rhino, et al, not excepted here.
Even on that consequence, I still Hear excellent sound re-production, very hi-fi, very realistic, from bass, to mids all the way up to the treble. You'll love the very realistic cymbals crash here.
The Sound field is very out of head, wider than most full size headphones, very immersive. Energetic. I even tried on some very fast Death metal tracks. They keep up amazingly well! Gives order to chaos.

How about sharing a couple of your personal tracks. let me audition on the Volt...

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #2,944 of 13,652
My Globes arrived today and I've put a few hours into them. Huge thank you again to @ehjie and @KickAssChewGum , whose strong recommendations convinced me to buy these. Also @Dsnuts for the fantastic review.

Here's my initial impressions:

1d483ff005560e576b2bf92831374434.gif

Jokes aside, I'm happy with them and strongly considering buying some Volts because I like them so much.

These definitely require large-bore tips. Out of the box I tried my beloved Final E Clears and the bass was far too boomy. The included e-Pro tips toned it down enough while not sacrificing any clarity. Sedna regulars and Spiral dots were a very close second.

Strengths:
  • I can't emphasize enough how incredible the midrange tonality is on these. I could write an entire post about it. Zero sacrifices made here, unlike many popular IEMs. Warm, smooth, and musical. Male vocals have just the right amount of weight in the lower midrange to sound rich, and female vocals are energetic but never shouty. Just the right amount of airiness. Zero plasticky BA timbre (Sonion magic?). Exceptional. 👌
  • Minimal to no bass bleed into the midrange. Again, no sacrifices made. Definitely more sub-bass focused but mid-bass presence is just right. Decent kick/punch.
  • Completely smooth treble. No peaks or sibilance. On the softer, gentler side.
  • Soundstage fits the profile of "warm, smooth, rich" quite well. Close enough to allow for intimate vocals, but not congested. Guitar strings sound like they are outside the ear. Imaging is decent, as expected at this price.
  • ZERO listening fatigue, mental or physical. I can put these in my ears and totally forget about them and relax.
  • Has a very full "wall of sound" feeling similar to when I listen to my HD650. No other IEM has replicated this.

Weaknesses:
  • Look, I'm by no means a detail freak. But the Globes have the detail of something you'd expect to find in the ~150-200$ range. It's right on the border of where it could start to negatively impact my listening experience. This is my main criticism of the Globe, even though I really like it. The flip side is that these are the most forgiving IEMs for poorly mastered tracks that I've listened to yet.
  • Sub-bass is at the upper limits of my tolerance. It's mostly controlled with the correct tips. Never had something this sub-bassy before so there's probably just some brain burn-in required.
  • This is not an issue to me but the treble has just a hint of BA timbre.

I've been on a hunt for an IEM with my preferred sound signature for a while now. The Globe gets me ~80% of the way to my ""endgame"" (haha good one), closer than any other IEM I've owned thus far.

To the folks who have owned both the Globe and the Volt: I'm strongly considering getting one, but it is a considerable investment and I would like to ask some questions about the differences between the two IEMs. Any input would be appreciated. Compared to the Globe, does the Volt:
  1. Have increased clarity and detail, comparable to other IEMs around the 800$ price bracket
  2. Maintain the excellent, warm midrange and smooth treble
  3. Have a more refined bass response
  4. Have better imaging
  5. Perform at least ~20-25% better overall (If you absolutely had to quantify the differences, although I know this is incredibly subjective)

Thanks for coming to my HEAD Talk!

Thank you for the Trust...
:beerchug:

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #2,945 of 13,652

I've tried a decent number of mid-fi IEMs over the past couple months and none of truly "wowed me". It always felt like something was missing from each one and that if I stuck with any of them I would only be settling. Even really solid IEMs like Blessing 2 Dusk , IER-M7, Isabellae.

No such compromise with the Globes. It perfects the rich, warm, musical sound signature that I had been looking for. I can nit-pick tiny things but these really are excellent for the price. Props to Penon for tuning an IEM this well.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #2,946 of 13,652
I've tried a decent number of mid-fi IEMs over the past couple months and none of truly "wowed me". It always felt like something was missing from each one and that if I stuck with any of them I would only be settling. Even really solid IEMs like Blessing 2 Dusk , IER-M7, Isabellae.

No such compromise with the Globes. It perfects the rich, warm, musical sound signature that I had been looking for. I can nit-pick tiny things but these really are excellent for the price. Props to Penon for tuning an IEM this well.

Well, dang. I guess I'll have to get the Globes too, then!

How's the comfort? They look pretty dang chunky. I only have the somewhat chunky Fiio FH3s for reference. My ears start getting a bit sore if I wear those for more than an hour, but I think it's one of the sharp corners pushing into... some part of my ear rather than the size itself that's the issue.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #2,947 of 13,652

How's the comfort? They look pretty dang chunky. I only have the somewhat chunky Fiio FH3s for reference. My ears start getting a bit sore if I wear those for more than an hour, but I think it's one of the sharp corners pushing into... some part of my ear rather than the size itself that's the issue.

Globes are some of the smallest & most form-fitting IEMs I have. Doubt you will have an issue.

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #2,948 of 13,652

They have a very smooth surface on the shells, nothing that could be sharp. They are also very light so they stay in easily. Zero issues with comfort. I'd describe the shell size as medium-small, should be quite a bit narrower than the FH3s just by googling them.

The only other IEM I've owned with a similar shape was the Dusks, and I found those to be painful to wear. Those had a larger nozzle, were heavier, and had a larger shell.

IMG_20210814_023616.jpg

IMG_20210814_023525.jpg

Measurements in cm, of course.

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #2,949 of 13,652

Opposite of Chunky, the smallest shell profile in the Penon range...

the range.png

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #2,951 of 13,652
Hi guys, haven't posted in a while. Could anyone share more detailed comparisons between the ISN H40 and the Penon Globe? I'm quite curious to the comparison as I'd been meaning to own an ISN H40 for a while, but am intrigued by the comments on how they sound similar. Especially in the soundstage, which was what impressed me most when I heard the ISN H40

Thanks!

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #2,952 of 13,652
They're quickly stealing my heart, while the Aladdins steal my head/brain. Male vocals are excellent and full of body and weight. I haven't heard many IEMs that excel at male vocals...
Infected Mushroom sounds absolutely WILD on these with how deep the bass goes.

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #2,953 of 13,652

Next level ADSR/PRAT, Clarity, energy, separation on the Volts
On top of the Penon house sound
Fun+Technical =
1628931088285.png
also may be referred to as Bliss :)

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #2,954 of 13,652

Thanks for the prompt. I hadn't started onto my electronic music with the Globe. I've just been enjoying the sultry vocals.

Listening to Infected Mushroom really helps highlight the bass response. It's deep and has a really fast onset/offset to keep up with the speed of IM.

Edit: Running through the tracks I'm most familiar with of Infected Mushroom, namely Ani Mevushal, I'm The Supervisor and Cities of the Future. I think I can safely say this is the most fun I've had with those songs. The stage, detail, speed and imaging to ensure the tracks don't fall into the choatic. A bass response that's at once deep, powerful and snappy but doesn't overshadow male vocals.

Top stuff!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #2,955 of 13,652
Hi guys, haven't posted in a while. Could anyone share more detailed comparisons between the ISN H40 and the Penon Globe? I'm quite curious to the comparison as I'd been meaning to own an ISN H40 for a while, but am intrigued by the comments on how they sound similar. Especially in the soundstage, which was what impressed me most when I heard the ISN H40

Thanks!
I posted a brief comparison in my H40 review (link in sig). Let me know if you have more detailed questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back