The PENON official thread
Jan 11, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #1,651 of 13,875
You're gonna have a very good time w/ this album on the Fans...
1610362923484.png

from double bass pedal details (i.e.enter sandman)
all the way up to the struggle w/i
lols...

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #1,652 of 13,875
Re: vs. Orbs
The Mids on the Fans are on the neutral side, not thin, not thick, simply neutral.
Forwardness, very similar to the Spheres.
The presence range more energetic. Hi hats, crashes abound and very audible, but - not overdoing it.
Sub bass same Orb DNA.
Layering, Instrument separation are as good as the Orbs...
Thanks for the impression.

Don't like forwardness that much unfortunately.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #1,653 of 13,875
You're gonna have a very good time w/ this album on the Fans...

from double bass pedal details (i.e.enter sandman)
all the way up to the struggle w/i
lols...
What is the cable like? Is the "Fan" very dry and airy or is there any organic musical richness? Thank you friend.

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #1,655 of 13,875
What is the cable like? Is the "Fan" very dry and airy or is there any organic musical richness? Thank you friend.

The Cables are really soft and non microphonic
They are airy, but Not dry. i tried Agnes' "fuel to fire" no dryness at all.
Instrument separation is very good.
The mids tuning is organically neutral, less of the rich, warmth tone as the Orbs...

IMG_20210111_160314.jpg

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #1,656 of 13,875
How would you describe the Volt versus the MEST/Monarch?
They’re very different. The Volt is a warm, full sounding IEM. It has an organic sound. Very natural. It needs a lot of time to open up, as it initially sounds a bit dark, but ultimately isn’t.

The MEST is VERY airy sounding, with a treble emphasis. The bass is fast and detailed, but is sub bass biased, and quite a bit less in quantity. Both IEMs are very detailed, but the MEST seems more overtly detailed, but at the cost of naturalness, as the treble doesn’t sound realistic at times.

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #1,657 of 13,875
The mids tuning is organically neutral, less of the rich, warmth tone as the Orbs...

IMG_20210111_160314.jpg
Thank you. Have pressed the button....the offer is too good to refuse.

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #1,658 of 13,875
Would you describe the sound signature of the Fans? V-shaped, L-shaped?

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #1,659 of 13,875

IMG_20210111_160314.jpg
How would compare this against like say kanas pro or other single DD iems

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #1,660 of 13,875
Would you describe the sound signature of the Fans? V-shaped, L-shaped?

U shaped. Mids are clear, clean, Details that are within the mid range region are very audible.

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #1,661 of 13,875
Thank you. Have pressed the button....the offer is too good to refuse.
Lols
This is an exciting pair.
Even if you have other IEMs in general, other Penon in ears in particular, this is a totally different tuning...

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,662 of 13,875
How would compare this against like say kanas pro or other single DD iems

I could travel, a fellow headfier does have that, but
My locale still have some travel restrictions. I have to cross border, about 300 mi.
Normally (pre-cvd), I do this on a weekly basis, but now, the hassles outweigh our benefits...

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #1,663 of 13,875
I could travel, a fellow headfier does have that, but
My locale still have some travel restrictions. I have to cross border, about 300 mi.
Normally (pre-cvd), I do this on a weekly basis, but now, the hassles outweigh our benefits...
It's fine brother no need to do that in this pandemic stay home and stay safe 👍

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #1,665 of 13,875
Sounds interesting and I love the look of the Fans.

Any comparison between the Fans and the Orbs, ISN H40 and FiiO FH3?

Orb's midrange sounds vivid and more lush, more forward, and definitely of higher resolution. Thickness of overall body, especially the midrange, is better. Weight of notes also exceeds on the Orb. Bass articulation, bass details, midbass body goes to Orb as well. Fan's midrange has thinner lower section, a bit more forward in the upper section without having sibilance. Treble feels more airy on the Fan than Orb's, also has more sparkle and presence, albeit being a little bit thin sounding in comparison and also has that plasticky sound as others call it. The Fan edges the Orb in terms of soundstage width, IMO. Orb excels more on depth and height on the other hand.

ISN H40 also sounds higher in resolution having a more natural treble tonality due to it's far better driver configuration. Midbass of H40 also has way more thump even than Orb's.

The closest and the more fair comparison would be the ISN D02 having the same driver configuration. Fan OOTB, I can already say that it edges the D02 in many areas. I'll go on detail with that soon as I haven't fully immersed myself on listening to the Fan.

Haven't heard the FH3 yet so I can't comment on that.

Sounds interesting and I love the look of the Fans.

Loving the look as well. Gorgeous stabwood+resin finish with its box made of woven material, having a traditional Asian fabric pattern. Just gorgeous.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back