The PA2V2 Thread
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #631 of 752
Can someone please use this test to flatten their headphones without the pa2v2 and then flatten it again with the pa2v2 and post both EQ settings?
Thanks.

Link to flattening tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/647404/equal-loudness-eq-calibration-tones-for-foobar2000-winamp

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #633 of 752
Just got a PA2V2 today, and I'm confused/worried about recharging the unit.
His website instructions about recharging address using an AC adaptor, NOT the usb cable that it now comes with(at least to me)
He also mentions over-charging.
This is what I need to know:
1. From empty, how long to fully charge(I'm using usb cable-usb plug-power outlet)and how does one know when it's fully charged?
2. Mine came with ordered rechargable batteries but within six hours light went out and sound failed - so battery flat? Normal?
3. Now recharging but what if I forget/get distracted? What damage can over-charging do? This worries me as I'm used to recharging my Zo being a breeze(light goes out, won't overcharge)and this is for my dad, who, with the best will in the world, may forget and leave it too long. Why does it overcharge?
4. Is re-charging via usb cable into mains outlet analogous to using AC adaptor? ie, if I leave unit turned on whilst charging, will it NOT overcharge?

Hope somebody can advise. Waiting for reply from Gary but father here soon and I need to be able to tell him exactly what the picture is regarding re-charging this thing.

Many thanks.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #634 of 752
Seeing as it is now 9PM PST in Tornto...he might not be able to reply.

I don't recall over-charging  =\. 

rechargables are usually not shipped fully charged. They are stored at 30% power.
I am not sure about over-charging. I've probably left mine on to charge before.

The batteries can get warm as it just keeps supplying power. I believe it does not have a shut off circuit I think.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #636 of 752
I would not leave them on charge too long. Over time I believe it can degrade the battery. If you are not sure how much charge is remaining, either run them   until the audio gets weak, or charge it for 3 or 4 hours, That should be plenty.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #637 of 752
If worst comes to worst, use a wall charger.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #638 of 752
Welcome to PA2V2 world.

1. From empty, how long to fully charge(I'm using usb cable-usb plug-power outlet)and how does one know when it's fully charged?
A. You don't. And that is what we hope in the future release. I use external battery recharger and it has logic to shutdown when fully recharged so I don't know how long it should take from the usb cable or AC adapter the amp comes with.

2. Mine came with ordered rechargable batteries but within six hours light went out and sound failed - so battery flat? Normal?
A. Mine lasted for quite some time but it could just be a luck on how much battery was remaining when it was placed in your amp.
However, I did full recharge even before it drained. I used a battery charger instead of the one that came with the amp. I am not using this anymore(in my bag dusting) but it did go over 150 hours. My batteries are 2500mA each. After over around 150 hours, I just recharge because I don't know when it will die.

3. Now recharging but what if I forget/get distracted? What damage can over-charging do? This worries me as I'm used to recharging my Zo being a breeze(light goes out, won't overcharge)and this is for my dad, who, with the best will in the world, may forget and leave it too long. Why does it overcharge?
A. Because there is no logic integrated to the amp design. Maybe the developer did not think it was worth to add it based on how much more expensive it had to get.
But if you are like me, I don't mind opening up the case one a month to recharge the battery. Otherwise, just recharge for 12 hours while powered on and you should be good. Overcharging shortens the battery life. It shouldn't damage your amp unless the batteries get boiling hot and the heat damages the amp(?).

4. Is re-charging via usb cable into mains outlet analogous to using AC adaptor? ie, if I leave unit turned on whilst charging, will it NOT overcharge?
They do the same, usb port from your PC would have lower amperage so it can take more time to fully recharge, since we will not know if it is fully recharged, I would rather recommend using the AC adapter(while powered on!) and run it for 12 hours.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #639 of 752
thought I would pop in here to mention the battery life.

I have yet to charge mine, I think Gary did fully when he sent these two ( one for a gift ) and i was curious how long I have been using this so far without recharging.

My invoice is dated OCT 11 and i got this within a week after that date.
 it is now FEB 10.

Still going.
confused_face_2.gif
No antenna either so it's not running on earth harmonics for free.
 Amazing. Whenever i use it ( gain screws are adjusted to about 3/4 up inside also ) it is at least half on the volume if not more due to some demanding cans at times.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #640 of 752
i bought mine a while ago (#10675) and love it except..... I emailed Gary about getting one and boy does he reply fast! I thought about it for while and forgot all about it until I came here again. then I emailed again and placed my order. Got confirm super fast again (does he sleep by his computer? lol). Same time i ordered a Fiio L3 LOD for it to use with my itouch/ipod

both came and when I tried it out, loved it.. but after a few days, I couldnt get any sound out of one side of my earphones. Tried different pair of earphones and same thing. hmm Got on amazon again and ordered another LOD, this time a L9 since I'd rather have the L-shaped style. I was hoping it was the LOD that was defective.

New lod came and again, no sound out of the one side of my earphones BUT, if you shake your earphone plug or the LOD cable, the sound would come out. I finally figured it was a defective amp so I emailed Gary and... no reply. Waited a while and emailed again about getting it fixed and... no reply. Oh well, it was a "cheap" amp and if you move the cables just right, it works fine.

only other negative I can say about this amp ( i still love it) is if you bump it around, the battery inside comes loose. I thought my battery finally drained (battery life is amazing) and plugged it in to charge up. After hour or two, it didnt play. When I opened it up, duh the battery came out of the holder.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #641 of 752
Gary gets busy and sometimes e-mails do disappear. People don't seem to realize this and often get bad luck when it comes to servicing.

Just give him another shout out. He semes like a really good guy of all the times i've talked to him. Bummer your amp is not working. Maybe it got damaged in shipping?.

Have you tried replacing the batteries?.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #642 of 752
Gary is a GREAT guy.

Although my headfi journey has moved passed the little PA2V2, would totally give any updated/more sophisticated designs a try.

The battery life is truly FANTASTIC.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #643 of 752
ill give the battery swap a try and figured out why they pop out, boy is that spring strong!! no skimping there. and if i ever can find it, ill send him another email.
surprised nobody noticed my rubber band lol

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #645 of 752
Gary has a new look to his website, and also updated  with all the pictures sent to him since amp #10,000 <- that is crazy thinking about one guy responsible for that much enjoyment.

The new pics are pretty cool, mine's in there.  I'm sure a lot of yours are too judging by some of the headphones shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back