The PA2V2 Thread
May 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #271 of 752

Quote:
it would be so great if Gary could find a way to maintain quality while fitting it into a slimmer form factor.

on a side note, does anyone find themselves stealing broccoli bands from the grocery store? (to keep the pa2v2 attached securely to an ipod)

So THAT'S what they're called. I...suddenly have to go grocery shopping.

May 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #276 of 752
I just got my amp in today. I tried it through AC only at first since I don't have my Eneloops yet, and there was some terrible, terrible sound. I guess AC sound isn't that great, and without batteries it's worse.

I'm using some alkalines for the time being. The sound is much cleaner than AC power without batteries but there's still a lot of buzzing, which Gary told me is normal as the alkalines are extra voltage... I also need to change the gain as it's way too loud right now with my IEM's, but I'm not sure what to do.

Can't wait for the Eneloops!

May 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #278 of 752

Quote:
I just got my amp in today. I tried it through AC only at first since I don't have my Eneloops yet, and there was some terrible, terrible sound. I guess AC sound isn't that great, and without batteries it's worse.

I'm using some alkalines for the time being. The sound is much cleaner than AC power without batteries but there's still a lot of buzzing, which Gary told me is normal as the alkalines are extra voltage... I also need to change the gain as it's way too loud right now with my IEM's, but I'm not sure what to do.

Can't wait for the Eneloops!

NEVER use alkaline batteries. PA2V2 is meant to work with rechargeables only, and they should be inserted in the amp all the time, as they act as a noise filter, specially when using the amp through AC. When I got it the first time, I also thought there was something wrong with the amp, but I contacted Gary and he told me that rechargeable batteries are essential for a proper amp usage.

May 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #280 of 752

Quote:
NEVER use alkaline batteries. PA2V2 is meant to work with rechargeables only, and they should be inserted in the amp all the time, as they act as a noise filter, specially when using the amp through AC. When I got it the first time, I also thought there was something wrong with the amp, but I contacted Gary and he told me that rechargeable batteries are essential for a proper amp usage.

What do the rechargeables do that make the amp sound better? Don't rechargeable AA batteries provide the same voltage as alkaline batteries?

May 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #281 of 752

Quote:
What do the rechargeables do that make the amp sound better? Don't rechargeable AA batteries provide the same voltage as alkaline batteries?

Rechargeable batteries don't make the amp sound better, they make the amp sound right. You should have read the instructions on Gary's site, he explicitely says that it's rechargeable batteries that are to be used. Alkaline batteries have higher voltages that just aren't suited for the amp. So the solution is simple, put a pair of rechargeables and you'll be all set. It's a night and day difference.

May 13, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #282 of 752

Quote:
Quote:

Rechargeable batteries don't make the amp sound better, they make the amp sound right. You should have read the instructions on Gary's site, he explicitely says that it's rechargeable batteries that are to be used. Alkaline batteries have higher voltages that just aren't suited for the amp. So the solution is simple, put a pair of rechargeables and you'll be all set. It's a night and day difference.

Qualitative comments and hyperbole aside:
http://www.electric-avenues.com/pa2_instructions.html

Required voltage = 2.4 V (or 2x 1.2 V)
Alkaline/"regular" AA battery voltage = 1.5 V per battery

May 13, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #283 of 752

Quote:
Qualitative comments and hyperbole aside:
http://www.electric-avenues.com/pa2_instructions.html

Required voltage = 2.4 V (or 2x 1.2 V)
Alkaline/"regular" AA battery voltage = 1.5 V per battery

He asked in qualitative terms, I responded in kind
wink.gif

But the accurate response is there.

May 13, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #284 of 752
Well before I even put the alkalines in I emailed Gary asking if it would harm the amp. He said the amp would be fine, just wouldn't work optimally.

No matter, I got my rechargeables in the mail. The amp sounds amazing now.

May 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #285 of 752
just got my PA2V2 yesterday - i'm impressed!

i'm using it with my SR80s and when comparing it to my custom cmoy, i think it's true that the PA2V2 sounds warmer and perhaps lacks a tiny amount of the sparkle of my cmoy (my brother who built the cmoy for me swears its components rival any $500 amp). 

when using my SR225s, my first thoughts were that the PA2V2 sounded a little too muddy in the mids. however, with the 80s this difference is negligible. since getting my 225s i have always felt that the 80s are still the more 'punchy' and fun headphones and the PA2V2 plays to these strengths of the 80s, particularly with rock music.

compared to using the 80s unamped on my clip, it's only a subtle difference but i think the bass has better presence, is more rounded and better controlled with the presence of the PA2V2. i could easily listen to the clip without the amp but given the choice i would take it every time.

i think i will continue to use my cmoy at home with the SR225s for 'serious' listening, as technically its sound is superior. the cmoy is also just too cumbersome to lug around. meanwhile, the design of the PA2V2 is flawless; all the buttons and inputs are neatly on the front of the amp, so it could easily slide into a jeans pocket and still be accessible without the risk of flicking the power switch off. i think i'll be using it exclusively with the 80s, particularly when i'm out and about.

by the way, i seriously don't understand some of the people in the other threads who have said they wish this amp was SMALLER...the thing is tiny. it's comparable to a packet of cigarettes. basically...you can't possibly go wrong with this amp for $60. it's worth the price alone just to be able to play with such a neat little device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back