The PA2V2 Thread
Feb 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #241 of 752

Quote:
Of course I have :)

The Alessandro doesnt need much amping and does not benefit much from it. Still, it does benefit from bypassing the horrible internal amp on the ipod.
The same thing that happens with the dt880 happens with the k701 which is nowhere near 600 ohms. The pa2v2 just does not have the balls to drive them properly and you hear it the moment you put them on.
I have not done enough testing with the orthos...

Anyway, that is why I think it's not a good starter amp. A good starter amp should at least hint at what a good amp/headphone combo can do. I am then thinking along the lines of the new fiio amp for example, which seems to fit this description (havent heard it though). The pa2v2 is a nice addition to your ipod and iems but I think people will be massively disappointed when they try their full size headphones with it.

Not to be arguementative but the headphones you are pairing with the pa2v2 are rather difficult to drive, ones that require strong amplification to drive properly.  It is rather unrealistic to expect an entry-level portable amp to be able to drive those(DT880 600 Ohm, K701) headphones properly.  Remember most users who use starter amps are pairing them with "starter" headphones, headphones that are easier to drive, ones that are in higher sensitivity so they really do benefit from the amplification the pa2v2 provides.  Even my headphones(k240, SRH440) benefit when pairing them with Fiio's E5 and that is an amp with less output than the pa2v2.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #242 of 752
I would say starter headphones, I'd just say lower impedance. Most grado's are 32 om's and I wouldn't call them Introductory headphones. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #243 of 752

Quote:
Not to be arguementative but the headphones you are pairing with the pa2v2 are rather difficult to drive, ones that require strong amplification to drive properly.  It is rather unrealistic to expect an entry-level portable amp to be able to drive those(DT880 600 Ohm, K701) headphones properly.  Remember most users who use starter amps are pairing them with "starter" headphones, headphones that are easier to drive, ones that are in higher sensitivity so they really do benefit from the amplification the pa2v2 provides.  Even my headphones(k240, SRH400) benefit when pairing them with Fiio's E5 and that is an amp with less output than the pa2v2.

It is absolutely true that the K701 and DT880 are thirsty for power, but both are nothing too special, imo. Whenever someone wants a more delicate and audiophile sound 99% he will chose one from the usual high-fi suspects: DT880, K701, HD6x0. Only with those kind of cans I think amping comes to play a bigger part. You can amp a pair of MS-1s, HD595s, AD700s and think they sound better amped, but is it necessary for them to be amped? From my experience, no. Now, the DT880, K701 and HD6x0, really need amping to a) get to acceptable volumes and b) reach their full potential. The PA2v2 fails to amp two of those "starter headphones".

In its defence it is of course aimed at portable cans and not full size audiophile phones like the three I mentioned. Like I said, as such it is a nice device to bypass the nasty Apple amp and upgrade your portable sound. But it is a shame it fails to amp the headphones that really need it.

Perhaps you are right, though. Perhaps I wanted my PA2v2 to do more than a portable is capable of... 
redface.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #244 of 752
Those cans you picked certainly are harder to drive. D2000, Pro 900, several Grados, all are driven easily. I'm not sure I would consider any of the headphones you talked about as starter headphones, specially those 600 Ohm ones and K701.

And at this time, amping is just something that's a part of the whole headphone listening experience
wink.gif

Anyway, maybe Gary should have some info on his site about which headphones work better with his amp.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #245 of 752
32 ohm's is the best area, but up to 36 are acceptable. Everything above that is kinda a no go.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #246 of 752
It's not just about impedance, but also power itself. PA2V2 can handle HD25-II which is 70Ohm, or Ultrasone DJ1 Pro which are 64. But just like the whole thing of DT770 80Ohm being harder to drive than the 250Ohm version, something similar occurs here.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #247 of 752

Quote:
32 ohm's is the best area, but up to 36 are acceptable. Everything above that is kinda a no go.

This has nothing to do with how much ohm the drivers are, really. Most drivers used for speakers don't even come near that 32ohm. :wink:

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #248 of 752
baah well I read that somewhere

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #249 of 752
It's true and a shame, really. Some people believe the higher the ohmage, the harder it is to drive the headphones.

For instance, when you compare the DT880 250 vs the DT880 600, then you will find that the 600ohmer really isn't harder to drive (or: anything that can power the 250R, can power the 600R).

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #250 of 752
I have paired up my PA2V2 with my Pro 900s and it sounds great. Keep in mind of course that this is all my first audiophile grade gear. I am currently using a Clip+ (rockboxed) as my source. The amp has seriously improved the sound in all areas of the spectrum but most definitely the bass. I love the warm, organic sound of the PA2V2.

By the way I love this website. It's made of pure win.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #251 of 752
inddeed. thanks

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #252 of 752
i do love this amp, but a word of caution. last week i was walking my dog while listening to headphones and there was a sketchy drunk guy up ahead of me; so i turned down the volume on the pa2v2, but instead of turning it down, i turned it up and quickly (for some reason i had the ipod/amp reversed in my pocket vs. the way i usually have it). i think it seriously damaged my ears, i can still hear, but i've had this plugged feeling in my ear(s) for 5 days now, it's gotten much better in my left ear, but my right it still noticeably plugged. the exposure was only for a second or two, but coming out of my ipod > LOD > pa2v2 > ATH-M50s it was a shock.

my normal listening volume with LOD > pa2v2 only about 30% (still pretty loud), i'm afraid i may have jacked it up to at least double.

if you use this amp on similar settings i highly recommend turning gain down inside the unit (turn two blue plastic screws counterclockwise), so that even at full volume you won't blow out your eardrums like i did.

i am noticing things slowing getting better, and i have done tests with different songs, frequency sweeps, ear vs. ear, but it's hard to know how well your hearing was before. has anyone ever has something similar like this happen? if so how long does this plugged feeling last? and what's causing it?

p.s. i don't have major ringing in the ears or anything, just a plugged feeling. tia

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #253 of 752
I'm sorry about your ears, but each set of headphones is different, and require different gain settings. Anyway, most users seem to have a better experience with higher gain values in general.

But being cautious about high volumes apply to just about any sound equipment.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #255 of 752
Have they recovered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back