The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Dec 27, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #2,456 of 2,629
Dec 27, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #2,457 of 2,629
I need to log in here more, am missing good recommendations! After plonking for Susvara a couple years ago and spending money on building a gym at Rancho Bulboso, I've been avoiding temptation of buying anything new, though I did pre-order the HEAVYs.

So as usual, here's my year-end lists!

Fester’s Lucky 13: 2022 Year-End Summary​

https://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-22

Mocking Krampus by Margaryta Yermolayeva. Buy this or her other amazing art at https://www.etsy.com/shop/RytasArtWorld?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=895922100.

Heavy Metal

ironflame-where-1024x1014.jpg

There are four prolific, talented individuals who are responsible for a startling percentage of the best heavy metal of the past decade — Chris Black, Trevor William Church, Nate Garrett and Andrew D’Cagna. It would take a paragraph just to mention all the bands they’ve been involved with, but the star of the hour is D’Cagna, who told me one night in 2016 about a new little side project he recorded pretty much by himself of traditional heavy metal. What was meant to be a one-off is now on album number four, which shows Ironflame getting better and better, and has earned them the credentials to be considered top tier alongside Khemmis, TOWER, Spirit Adrift, Haunt, Sumerlands, Eternal Champion and High Spirits. With an assist on solos by Quinn Lucas (Icarus Witch, who D’Cagna also sings with) and Jesse Scott, his musicianship is impeccable, and his vocal performance is especially impressive. If Bruce Dickinson does retire from Iron Maiden, D’Cagna could handle the job no problem. Better catch him in small clubs while you still can, just in case. | Bandcamp

Bubbling under: Black Capricorn, Conan, Riders Of Rohan, Acid Witch, Famyne, Dark Forest, Monasterium, Cauchemar, Grandier, Eye Of Doom, Friends Of Hell, Riot City, Venator, Spirit Adrift, Savage Master, Scorpions, Saxon, Spirits Of Fire, Las Cruces. | More.
  1. Messa – Close (Svart) | Italy | Bandcamp
  2. Sumerlands – Dreamkiller (Relapse) | USA | Bandcamp
  3. Ironflame – Where Madness Dwells (High Roller) | USA | Bandcamp
  4. Haunt – Windows of Your Heart (Shadow Kingdom) | USA | Bandcamp
  5. Bergfried – Romantik I EP (Erech Leleth) | UK | Bandcamp
  6. Spell – Tragic Magic (Bad Omen) | Canada | Bandcamp
  7. WARLUNG – Vulture’s Paradise (Heavy Psych) | USA | Bandcamp
  8. Emissary – Emissary EP (Emissary) | Finland | Bandcamp
  9. Sahg – Born Demon (Drakkar) | Norway | Buy
  10. Early Moods – Early Moods (RidingEasy) | USA | Bandcamp
  11. Candlemass – Sweet Evil Sun (Napalm) | UK | Buy
  12. Peth – Merchant Of Death (Peth) | USA | Bandcamp
  13. Sonja – Loud Arriver (Cruz Del Sur) | USA | Bandcamp
Stoner/Desert/Fuzz

ufomammut-fenice-1024x1024.jpg

I’m still fuming about two recent histories of doom and heavy music that failed to mention Italian cosmic doom psych sludge behemoths Ufomammut even in passing. I won’t even mention the titles of the books because they’re garbage for their omissions. Their ninth (if you only count the majestic installments of 2012’s Oro: Opus Alter & Priumum as a double album) album vindicates my outrage, sealing their status as one of the most important heavy bands of the 21st century. Coming in at a succinct six songs in just over 38 minutes (despite “Duat” breaking the 10 minute barrier), Fenice is a change of pace from the sprawling, sometimes bordering on unwieldy albums. There’s also a shift in the production, with more dynamics and space in the tracks, so when the densely packed sludge overdrive switches on, it’s impact is all the more visceral. Five years is a pretty common gap between albums these days, but apparently the band was on hiatus for a bit, after losing drummer Vita. With new stickman Levre in place, they do a great job in approximating the aural equivalent of a phoenix, a flaming space phoenix, of course, emerging from the sun and directing it’s baleful gaze at the doomed Earth. | Bandcamp

Bubbling under: Foot, Ruby The Hatchet, Tentacula, Devil’s Witches, Abrams, Weddings, WARLUNG, Sahg, Mammoth Volume, Humanotone, Holy Witch, Fuzz Meadows, Naxatras, Mister Earthbound. | More
  1. Vitskär Süden – The Faceless King (Ripple) | USA | Bandcamp
  2. Dune Sea – Orbital Distortion (All Good Clean) | Norway
  3. Messa – Close (Svart) | Italy | Bandcamp
  4. Ufomammut – Fenice (Neurot) | Italy | Bandcamp
  5. Ian Blurton’s Future Now – Second Skin (Pajama Party/Seeing Red) | Canada | Bandcamp
  6. Glass Hammer – At the Gate (Glass Hammer) | USA | Bandcamp
  7. Wo Fat – The Singularity (Ripple) | USA | Bandcamp
  8. Dead Meadow – Force Form Free (Blues Funeral) | USA | Bandcamp
  9. Besvärjelsen – Atlas (Magnetic Eye) | Sweden | Bandcamp
  10. King Buffalo – Regenerator (Stickman) | USA | Bandcamp
  11. My Sleeping Karma – Atma (Napalm) | Austria | Bandcamp
  12. Los Palms – Skeleton Ranch (Fuzz Club) | Australia | Bandcamp
  13. Ecstatic Vision – Elusive Mojo (Heavy Psych) | USA | Bandcamp
Doom

glass-hammer-at-1024x1024.jpg

This Chattanooga, TN band has released over 20 albums since 1993. I was a latecomer, the first full length I heard was Valkyrie (2016), one of their top tier entries of Glass Hammer’s symphonic prog. There’s an ever-revolving roster of vocalists and musicians who contribute to the project, with Steve Babb as the key songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. The band got some attention for featuring Jon Davison in the 10s, who became Yes’ vocalist in 2014. They got my attention with the second installment of their Skallagrim trilogy, Into the Breach (2021). Two things stood out for me — the additional vocalist Hannah Pryor, and a sharp turn into toward stoner metal and doom. First installment The Dreaming City (2020) dabbled in it, but was still very keyboard heavy (courtesy of Fred Schendel), lending to a kind of space rockin’ 70s Rush vibe at times. At the Gate completes the trilogy, but those who follow the lyrics closely will get a different story than what’s fleshed out in Skallagrim: In the Vales of Pagarna (Book 1), which Babb published earlier in the year. I haven’t read it all yet, but it seems that Part II was their heaviest ever in order to properly accompany perhaps some battle scenes in the sword and sorcery/romance tale. On Part III they circle back to the symphonic prog they’re most known for, with just some occasional heavy riffs along the lines of the first album. Anyone who says there aren’t any current ambitious event albums and immersive epics need to hear all three of these. | Bandcamp

Bubbling under: Candlemass, Peth, Black Math Horseman, Black Capricorn, Conan, Grave Bathers, Alunah, Telekinetic Yeti, Acid Witch, Famyne, Witchfinder, Witchsnake, Cauchemar. | More.
  2. Ufomammut – Fenice (Neurot) | Italy | Bandcamp
  3. Glass Hammer – At the Gate (Glass Hammer) | USA | Bandcamp
  4. Besvärjelsen – Atlas (Magnetic Eye) | Sweden | Bandcamp
  5. Avatarium – Death, Where Is Your Sting (AFM) | Sweden | Buy
  6. The Otolith – Folium Limina (Blues Funeral) | USA | Bandcamp
  7. The Necromancers – Where the Void Rose (Necromancers) | France | Bandcamp
  8. Devil’s Witches – In All Her Forms (Majestic Mountain) | UK | Bandcamp
  9. Mark Urselli’s SteppenDoom – SteppenDoom (Magnetic Eye) | USA/UK | Bandcamp
  10. Weddings – Book of Spells (StoneFree) | Austria | Bandcamp
  11. Sahg – Born Demon (Drakkar) | Norway | Buy
  12. Early Moods – Early Moods (RidingEasy) | USA | Bandcamp
  13. Amon Acid – Cosmogony (Regain) | UK | Bandcamp

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #2,458 of 2,629
Some good discoveries, you should participate in the Doom Charts if you haven't already!
Oh, that is a dream. Like, that's the summit I'm working towards. Been thinking about you lately, dude. Great to hear from you!

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #2,459 of 2,629
I need to log in here more, am missing good recommendations! After plonking for Susvara a couple years ago and spending money on building a gym at Rancho Bulboso, I've been avoiding temptation of buying anything new, though I did pre-order the HEAVYs.

So as usual, here's my year-end lists!

Fester’s Lucky 13: 2022 Year-End Summary​

https://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-22

Mocking Krampus by Margaryta Yermolayeva. Buy this or her other amazing art at https://www.etsy.com/shop/RytasArtWorld?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=895922100.

Heavy Metal

ironflame-where-1024x1014.jpg

There are four prolific, talented individuals who are responsible for a startling percentage of the best heavy metal of the past decade — Chris Black, Trevor William Church, Nate Garrett and Andrew D’Cagna. It would take a paragraph just to mention all the bands they’ve been involved with, but the star of the hour is D’Cagna, who told me one night in 2016 about a new little side project he recorded pretty much by himself of traditional heavy metal. What was meant to be a one-off is now on album number four, which shows Ironflame getting better and better, and has earned them the credentials to be considered top tier alongside Khemmis, TOWER, Spirit Adrift, Haunt, Sumerlands, Eternal Champion and High Spirits. With an assist on solos by Quinn Lucas (Icarus Witch, who D’Cagna also sings with) and Jesse Scott, his musicianship is impeccable, and his vocal performance is especially impressive. If Bruce Dickinson does retire from Iron Maiden, D’Cagna could handle the job no problem. Better catch him in small clubs while you still can, just in case. | Bandcamp

Bubbling under: Black Capricorn, Conan, Riders Of Rohan, Acid Witch, Famyne, Dark Forest, Monasterium, Cauchemar, Grandier, Eye Of Doom, Friends Of Hell, Riot City, Venator, Spirit Adrift, Savage Master, Scorpions, Saxon, Spirits Of Fire, Las Cruces. | More.
  2. Sumerlands – Dreamkiller (Relapse) | USA | Bandcamp
  3. Ironflame – Where Madness Dwells (High Roller) | USA | Bandcamp
  4. Haunt – Windows of Your Heart (Shadow Kingdom) | USA | Bandcamp
  5. Bergfried – Romantik I EP (Erech Leleth) | UK | Bandcamp
  6. Spell – Tragic Magic (Bad Omen) | Canada | Bandcamp
  7. WARLUNG – Vulture’s Paradise (Heavy Psych) | USA | Bandcamp
  8. Emissary – Emissary EP (Emissary) | Finland | Bandcamp
  9. Sahg – Born Demon (Drakkar) | Norway | Buy
  10. Early Moods – Early Moods (RidingEasy) | USA | Bandcamp
  11. Candlemass – Sweet Evil Sun (Napalm) | UK | Buy
  12. Peth – Merchant Of Death (Peth) | USA | Bandcamp
  13. Sonja – Loud Arriver (Cruz Del Sur) | USA | Bandcamp
Stoner/Desert/Fuzz

ufomammut-fenice-1024x1024.jpg

I’m still fuming about two recent histories of doom and heavy music that failed to mention Italian cosmic doom psych sludge behemoths Ufomammut even in passing. I won’t even mention the titles of the books because they’re garbage for their omissions. Their ninth (if you only count the majestic installments of 2012’s Oro: Opus Alter & Priumum as a double album) album vindicates my outrage, sealing their status as one of the most important heavy bands of the 21st century. Coming in at a succinct six songs in just over 38 minutes (despite “Duat” breaking the 10 minute barrier), Fenice is a change of pace from the sprawling, sometimes bordering on unwieldy albums. There’s also a shift in the production, with more dynamics and space in the tracks, so when the densely packed sludge overdrive switches on, it’s impact is all the more visceral. Five years is a pretty common gap between albums these days, but apparently the band was on hiatus for a bit, after losing drummer Vita. With new stickman Levre in place, they do a great job in approximating the aural equivalent of a phoenix, a flaming space phoenix, of course, emerging from the sun and directing it’s baleful gaze at the doomed Earth. | Bandcamp

Bubbling under: Foot, Ruby The Hatchet, Tentacula, Devil’s Witches, Abrams, Weddings, WARLUNG, Sahg, Mammoth Volume, Humanotone, Holy Witch, Fuzz Meadows, Naxatras, Mister Earthbound. | More
  1. Vitskär Süden – The Faceless King (Ripple) | USA | Bandcamp
  2. Dune Sea – Orbital Distortion (All Good Clean) | Norway
  3. Messa – Close (Svart) | Italy | Bandcamp
  4. Ufomammut – Fenice (Neurot) | Italy | Bandcamp
  5. Ian Blurton’s Future Now – Second Skin (Pajama Party/Seeing Red) | Canada | Bandcamp
  6. Glass Hammer – At the Gate (Glass Hammer) | USA | Bandcamp
  7. Wo Fat – The Singularity (Ripple) | USA | Bandcamp
  8. Dead Meadow – Force Form Free (Blues Funeral) | USA | Bandcamp
  9. Besvärjelsen – Atlas (Magnetic Eye) | Sweden | Bandcamp
  10. King Buffalo – Regenerator (Stickman) | USA | Bandcamp
  11. My Sleeping Karma – Atma (Napalm) | Austria | Bandcamp
  12. Los Palms – Skeleton Ranch (Fuzz Club) | Australia | Bandcamp
  13. Ecstatic Vision – Elusive Mojo (Heavy Psych) | USA | Bandcamp
Doom

glass-hammer-at-1024x1024.jpg

This Chattanooga, TN band has released over 20 albums since 1993. I was a latecomer, the first full length I heard was Valkyrie (2016), one of their top tier entries of Glass Hammer’s symphonic prog. There’s an ever-revolving roster of vocalists and musicians who contribute to the project, with Steve Babb as the key songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. The band got some attention for featuring Jon Davison in the 10s, who became Yes’ vocalist in 2014. They got my attention with the second installment of their Skallagrim trilogy, Into the Breach (2021). Two things stood out for me — the additional vocalist Hannah Pryor, and a sharp turn into toward stoner metal and doom. First installment The Dreaming City (2020) dabbled in it, but was still very keyboard heavy (courtesy of Fred Schendel), lending to a kind of space rockin’ 70s Rush vibe at times. At the Gate completes the trilogy, but those who follow the lyrics closely will get a different story than what’s fleshed out in Skallagrim: In the Vales of Pagarna (Book 1), which Babb published earlier in the year. I haven’t read it all yet, but it seems that Part II was their heaviest ever in order to properly accompany perhaps some battle scenes in the sword and sorcery/romance tale. On Part III they circle back to the symphonic prog they’re most known for, with just some occasional heavy riffs along the lines of the first album. Anyone who says there aren’t any current ambitious event albums and immersive epics need to hear all three of these. | Bandcamp

Bubbling under: Candlemass, Peth, Black Math Horseman, Black Capricorn, Conan, Grave Bathers, Alunah, Telekinetic Yeti, Acid Witch, Famyne, Witchfinder, Witchsnake, Cauchemar. | More.
  2. Ufomammut – Fenice (Neurot) | Italy | Bandcamp
  3. Glass Hammer – At the Gate (Glass Hammer) | USA | Bandcamp
  4. Besvärjelsen – Atlas (Magnetic Eye) | Sweden | Bandcamp
  5. Avatarium – Death, Where Is Your Sting (AFM) | Sweden | Buy
  6. The Otolith – Folium Limina (Blues Funeral) | USA | Bandcamp
  7. The Necromancers – Where the Void Rose (Necromancers) | France | Bandcamp
  8. Devil’s Witches – In All Her Forms (Majestic Mountain) | UK | Bandcamp
  9. Mark Urselli’s SteppenDoom – SteppenDoom (Magnetic Eye) | USA/UK | Bandcamp
  10. Weddings – Book of Spells (StoneFree) | Austria | Bandcamp
  11. Sahg – Born Demon (Drakkar) | Norway | Buy
  12. Early Moods – Early Moods (RidingEasy) | USA | Bandcamp
  13. Amon Acid – Cosmogony (Regain) | UK | Bandcamp
Dude! Awesome to see you!

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #2,460 of 2,629

Users who are viewing this thread

Back