The Opamp thread
Sep 4, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #661 of 7,383
I like to use my helping hands Amazon.com: Xacto X75170 X-tra Hands with Magnifier: Home Improvement to hold the chip in position on the adapter. I use a pair of tweezers to place the chip and then carefully place it in the clip. I have some quad eutectic but I haven't used it yet. For now it's just plain old kester.

Things have changed on the opamp front. I soldered in a bunch of russian petp http://cgi.ebay.com/0-047uF-160V-5-P...d=p3286.c0.m14 bypass caps in my zero and it is a much different animal now. I'm still running the 797b/1361 dac/amp combo but I think I'm going to have to test out everything all over again. I still have some time to play around with opamps. I just got my ems tracking number from susan at audio-gd for my hdams. I'm having way to much fun with this, even for a geek like myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #662 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like to use my helping hands Amazon.com: Xacto X75170 X-tra Hands with Magnifier: Home Improvement to hold the chip in position on the adapter. I use a pair of tweezers to place the chip and then carefully place it in the clip. I have some quad eutectic but I haven't used it yet. For now it's just plain old kester.

That magnifier looks like it could come in handy. I'm at the age where I find my eyesight starting to deteriorate
tongue.gif

And I certainly know how to use a pair of tweezers. Being an entomologist, I've dissected out the various mouthparts of insects less than a millimeter long. But that's using a stereo microscope with professional grade watchmaker tweezers.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #663 of 7,383
can't you reuse browndog's? they don't seem to be for single use?!

I've just received my LT1677/1678, so I guess I'm not on LT's blacklist just yet...it's just that it's taking them forever to source some LT1057 to send me(DIP8 have become a rare commodity I was told
redface.gif
)

and my Arietta w/ its 4xLT1363(or 4xLM6171 stock) has arrived too
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #664 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That magnifier looks like it could come in handy. I'm at the age where I find my eyesight starting to deteriorate
tongue.gif

And I certainly know how to use a pair of tweezers. Being an entomologist, I've dissected out the various mouthparts of insects less than a millimeter long. But that's using a stereo microscope with professional grade watchmaker tweezers.

Use whatever makes your job easier. I have a set of those helping hands but I don't use them as much as you would think for this job. I am thinking of buying a jewellers loop for close inspection. Alternately, I may go with a USB micro and use that for close inspection.
They seem smaller then they are as once you get your technique going right and using the proper tools you can do them with little trouble.
The dual Soic8 to Dip8 are a bit hard as depending on the adapter you have to solder the pins between other pins.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #665 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't you reuse browndog's? they don't seem to be for single use?!

I've just received my LT1677/1678, so I guess I'm not on LT's blacklist just yet...it's just that it's taking them forever to source some LT1057 to send me(DIP8 have become a rare commodity I was told
redface.gif
)

and my Arietta w/ its 4xLT1363(or 4xLM6171 stock) has arrived too
tongue.gif

They are adapters, you solder on the chip and that is it. they are "re-usable in that you can remove and use them in whatever circuit you want.
If your talking about de-soldering and soldering on new opamps. Not recommended as they can be quite fragile and chances are you might pull off 1 or more of the pads. It is easier to just buy new ones.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #667 of 7,383
Got samples from LT today comes in nice static bag and protection, LT1208.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dang, it looks dead easy from the video tutorials!

I've got some LM4562MA that will be used as guinea pigs I think
evil_smiley.gif

What video tutorials?

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #668 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dual op-amps are often intended as differential amplifiers of a single signal, and in those cases the crosstalk is something you don't care for. Only cheapest DACs and CD players make use of one dual op-amp for both channels, in normal cases it's a separate chip or chips for each channel.

In CA DacMagic there are four N5532 used as differential amps for balanced outputs and two OP275 as buffers for unbalanced outputs.

Any suggestions/recommendations for upgrading those 4 + 2 opamps?

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #672 of 7,383
I have an OPA2134PA laying around. Is it worth it to pop it into my Beresford? I have NE5532 in the line stage and THS4032CD in the HP out. Anyone know what kind of changes it would bring about?

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #673 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an OPA2134PA laying around. Is it worth it to pop it into my Beresford? I have NE5532 in the line stage and THS4032CD in the HP out. Anyone know what kind of changes it would bring about?

Try it out. Many would say the OPA2134 is an improvment. Try it out and see if it sounds good with what you have.

A Opamps can get to be a bit of hobby...

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #674 of 7,383
I'm looking for an opamp configuration on my iBasso P3 (no plus) that would kinda give a warm sound, for use with my Livewires Triples (very sensitive I would think, and I've had problems with sound leaking at zero on the volume knob and some buzzing sound when using the AD8397, but it's not unbearable bad but I'd prefer to have opamps which don't have that buzzing sound if you guys know what causes it.

So yup any suggestions on warm sounding opamps for the P3? Oh and I'd prefer to keep as much details and preferably increase the soundstage if possible!

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #675 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsatia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an opamp configuration on my iBasso P3 (no plus) that would kinda give a warm sound, for use with my Livewires Triples (very sensitive I would think, and I've had problems with sound leaking at zero on the volume knob and some buzzing sound when using the AD8397, but it's not unbearable bad but I'd prefer to have opamps which don't have that buzzing sound if you guys know what causes it.

So yup any suggestions on warm sounding opamps for the P3? Oh and I'd prefer to keep as much details and preferably increase the soundstage if possible!

I like the OPA637's in my P3 for sure (won't work in my P3+). If you don't have the 637's I'd go for the following which is what I also run in my P3+

LT1677's in L/R (I prefer Class A)
Buf634 in Buffer Sockets (Hi-C)
LME47910's in G/V

Super detailed, high resolution but no glare just real hifi sound with my JH13's
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back