The Opamp thread
Sep 6, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #676 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsatia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an opamp configuration on my iBasso P3 (no plus) that would kinda give a warm sound, for use with my Livewires Triples (very sensitive I would think, and I've had problems with sound leaking at zero on the volume knob and some buzzing sound when using the AD8397, but it's not unbearable bad but I'd prefer to have opamps which don't have that buzzing sound if you guys know what causes it.

So yup any suggestions on warm sounding opamps for the P3? Oh and I'd prefer to keep as much details and preferably increase the soundstage if possible!

I agree with Spud as the 637s can give some great sound provided they have the right circuit.
Burr Browns may have a warmer signature that might suit you a bit better.
Testing is the way to find out..

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #677 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Testing is the way to find out..

x2

And it's madatory when you have a P3 or P3+
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #679 of 7,383
Hmm do those companies give their samples internationally? Opamps really aren't cheap for me (just a student heh) and I live in Singapore, so I'm not sure if I can get samples? But thanks for the suggestions, I don't have ANY of the opamps you mentioned though :p I have an AD8066, AD8397, AD845, OPA2132 in addition to the standard ones given with the P3. I'll try going for the SpudHarris combination first and see if I can pick up a 637 too
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #681 of 7,383
It's addictive though and with so many combinations I'm rolling all the time in search for the 'holy grail' combo. At present I'm stuck between LT1357's or 1677's both being superb but I think the 1357's are slightly more involving and musical. I like both with the same Buffer and G/V chipset.

634 Hi-C Buffers
LME49710's (G/V)

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #683 of 7,383
I tried, once again, Majkel's suggestion of OP27s by popping a couple of OP27G in my Compass. Wonderful! Not as mushy as the 627s, not as flat and dull as the 49720 and the mids are perfect. The only problem is, I can't see anything but rather expensive OP27A/C online at TI. Any thoughts?

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #684 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried, once again, Majkel's suggestion of OP27s by popping a couple of OP27G in my Compass. Wonderful! Not as mushy as the 627s, not as flat and dull as the 49720 and the mids are perfect. The only problem is, I can't see anything but rather expensive OP27A/C online at TI. Any thoughts?

Are you refering to these->OP27

Are you looking for something a bit more cost effective in this family?

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #685 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's addictive though and with so many combinations I'm rolling all the time in search for the 'holy grail' combo. At present I'm stuck between LT1357's or 1677's both being superb but I think the 1357's are slightly more involving and musical. I like both with the same Buffer and G/V chipset.

634 Hi-C Buffers
LME49710's (G/V)

Grr I can't seem to find the LME49710 on farnell, and I don't know where else I can get opamps from (without excessive shipping costs). Any other recommendations for opamps or places which I can get opamps from?

How would I know if the 634 I'm looking at is a Hi-C one? Is this a 634 Hi-C buffer? This.

And damn the 637's are REALLY costly, don't think I'll get them yet
frown.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #686 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsatia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grr I can't seem to find the LME49710 on farnell, and I don't know where else I can get opamps from (without excessive shipping costs). Any other recommendations for opamps or places which I can get opamps from?

How would I know if the 634 I'm looking at is a Hi-C one? Is this a 634 Hi-C buffer? This.

And damn the 637's are REALLY costly, don't think I'll get them yet
frown.gif

Ideally you should get these type. You'll need a TO99 to DIP 'Browndog' or similar adapter.

The 634 Buffers are the standard DIP version on an adapter with a resistor (can't remember the value) between pins 1 & 4. Improvement in sound but runs batteries down quicker.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #688 of 7,383
this company is selling HUGE adapters: SIVAVA - SOIC8 (with socket 150 mil.) to DIP8 Adapter \ Universal & Willem EPROM Programmer

I was hoping that they'd be solderless, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

and when we talk about op-amps, it's good to take our headphones FR in account I think...the LME serie was totally unbearable for me trebles-wise on my Manufaktur DT770/600Ω, which is sibilant to death to begin w/
rolleyes.gif

but my cd1k(same drivers as cd3k) has a much much more laid back frequency response...bass is not boomy, sounstage is HUGE, trebles are just very relaxed....I'll have to think about it, but I don't need an extreme soundstage op-amp anymore, neither a very bassy either..I'll mount the LME49722 on adapters I think
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #689 of 7,383
Quote:

Ideally you should get these type. You'll need a TO99 to DIP 'Browndog' or similar adapter.

The 634 Buffers are the standard DIP version on an adapter with a resistor (can't remember the value) between pins 1 & 4. Improvement in sound but runs batteries down quicker.

Ah right, any idea how I'd get my hands on them cause I'm not too handy with my soldering skills yet heh
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #690 of 7,383
Quote:

In the circuit your talking about do you require single channel units?
As the LME49710HA are single channel. Browndog has TO-99 to DIP8 adapters, do you use these for the LME49710?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back