The Opamp thread
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #631 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your understanding.

On the subject of LME49720HA I recently ordered a set of 5 and Brown Dog adapters to use in comparison to my current favorite LM4562NA. If there is any significant improvement I will be delighted.

I missed this reply, but as I said above if you already like the sound of the LM4562 (some do, some don't) then I think you will love the 720HA
One of my customers that had a stock amp borrowed the "HA" version for a day and came back stating that he "NEEDS" that. He said the sonic improvement was unmatchable in anything related to his speaker setup. His example was $10,000 cables that made 1/4 the improvement of the 49860 to 49720HA swap.

The one thing that keeps getting ignored is the application, people give generalized results of how a certain op-amp sounds as if it will sound like that in every device it is plugged into. That is simply not the case and should be taken into consideration.

The analogy would be that every headphone (HD650, HF2 etc) will maintain the exact same sound regardless of the source it is plugged into. I'm sure we all know that is simply not the case. The total package must be considered. When people praise or bash a headphone they typically state what amp was used.
So when people praise or bash an op-amp the application is just as important as the results. And very meaningless without it.

just my rant
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #632 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by exhonerated /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You haven't said much (or anything) about the sound of this OPA1611 yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem, I should also receive them soon.

Try the LT1677 and LT1678...

You are correct and I applogize but it would be like reviewing HD-800's when your source is a fisher price walkman. It simply does not fit the application and the results would not be accurate.

The comments that you can take from my experience are the dead quiet noise floor. Atleast in my amp where input bias currents were taken into account. This op-amp has a lower noise floor than the LME49720HA which is already very good.

The detail is also VERY good, I would call it to a good sounding AD8620. It has the same level of detail but is much smoother and nicer to listen to atleast with the HD650's.

There is something off about the overall balance, perhaps my amp compensates for problems with the LME's and the 1611 just doesn't work in my circuit.

I think in the near future there will be some amps/cards/whatever that benifit greatly from this op-amp. I don't think it's the new best thing out there. But I do think it's great for the price and will shine in the right application.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #635 of 7,383
Hi rwaudio,
Any chance you would have the opA221 on adaptor to compare with the opa1611? Skeptics say that opa1611 is just a lower grade opa221.....could that be true?
I wonder if opa2134 and opa2132 are like that too......

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #636 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by exhonerated /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can't sound like the OPA211, because its numbers are different.

what if the model numbers are chosen randomly? does that break your numerology theory altogether?
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #637 of 7,383
Damn it, i made an order with nationals but didn't know you could get the samples completely free if you use emails other than gmail and hotmail.
I used gmx mail and its completely free you dont even have to pay for shipping and handling.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #639 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluto2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi rwaudio,
Any chance you would have the opA221 on adaptor to compare with the opa1611? Skeptics say that opa1611 is just a lower grade opa221.....could that be true?
I wonder if opa2134 and opa2132 are like that too......

Hello Pluto2,

I do have some 2211's that I mounted (in my setup I have one dual op-amp per channel) I could compare the two and see if I can tell the difference.
That would be two 2211's vs four 1611's so not entirely direct, but pretty darn close. Is there a headphone from my sig that you would prefer the comparison based on?

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #640 of 7,383
I received the LT1678IS8 today, mounted them on a BD adapter, and installed them in my Peridot DAC. I let them burn in for around 2 hours before having a listen. Very nice! Deep bass, good impact, forward mids, extended yet smooth highs. The detail is incredible.

I need to give these a couple days, but I think I may have found something to beat the LT1057.

I also mounted an LME49720HA on a BD adapter and tried it. I need to give it more time, but I wasn't immediately impressed with it as I was with the LT1678. There is just something about these LT opamps.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back