The Opamp thread
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #6,227 of 7,383
AFAIK those are two singles into one dual, like two NE5534 to work as if it was an NE5532. Is that what you mean?
I think the link posted was 2 dual chips to turn into more power and become a better 1 dual chip? Am I confused?

Where do I find a product like that where the 2 single opamps to 1 dual are going up like a high rise instead of laying down like a road?

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #6,228 of 7,383
Well, only the seller can answer those questions, but pairing two chips to increase the output current would be a much more specific thing than using two single chips to replace a dual one.

But I may be wrong, of course.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #6,231 of 7,383
MUSES02 is very application specific like output stages (not sure about gain stages, because it didn't fair well for me)
MUSES01 outclasses all the OPAMPs when used in I/V stage of a DAC or an AMP(especially DAC)

MUSES01 is something collectible and not a normal opamp. It sounds damm clean
MUSES02 is a warm opamp and if not paired well, can turn muddy.

Hope this clear your doubts on MUSES02

Is it also safe to assume,
MUSES01 have larger soundstage, more detail, better top end sound, but less bass ?
MUSES02 have smaller soundstage, less detail, more warm in the mid and low, more bass ?

Plus you can use MUSES01 everywhere I/V, Gain, Buffer while MUSES02 is more limited in where you can ideally use them?

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #6,232 of 7,383
From what is sounds like Muses 01 has a bump in the midrange levels to then extend to upper flat detailed highs and with that you can even add resistance to make it sound clearer, but if you can run a cpu through it that is when it really shines. Your right though muses 01 does get interesting when it's pare'd with ditto's. Muses 02 sounds cold and also extended onto the highs(best amp for bridging ne5532p).

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #6,233 of 7,383
It's all in the datasheet, more than in our objective listening tests. :)
Output sound is more related to surrounding components, PCB quality and design and PSU's ripple and noise, then to the op-amp itself.
MUSES01 is designed with I/V converter, MUSES02 more for use as voltage-gain, LPF or buffer, but MUSES01 works fine in other stages too.
The most important thing when rolling op-amps is to test for oscillations an how square and sine signals look like; this is the only way to check for op-amp compatibility with the circuit (unless the op-amp is recommended by device manufacturer).

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #6,234 of 7,383
It's all in the datasheet, more than in our objective listening tests. :)
Output sound is more related to surrounding components, PCB quality and design and PSU's ripple and noise, then to the op-amp itself.
MUSES01 is designed with I/V converter, MUSES02 more for use as voltage-gain, LPF or buffer, but MUSES01 works fine in other stages too.
The most important thing when rolling op-amps is to test for oscillations an how square and sine signals look like; this is the only way to check for op-amp compatibility with the circuit (unless the op-amp is recommended by device manufacturer).

Hello,
I reading this thread for modifying my car audio equipment.
I already changed 14 pieces of OPA-275 op-amp inside my Zapco ASP-X4 electronic Xover with MUSES01 and the different is night and day, in term of detail, imaging, and soundstage. It's a 4 way active x-over but I only use 2 way, that is why
I only replaced 14 pieces (7 op-amp for Tweeter and 7 op-amp for Midbass channel). I do feel that the bass freq is lower with MUSES01, that I need to have lower gain setting for the tweeter channel to match the midbass channel.
I always wonder whether using the MUSES02 for the midbass channel would make the midbass sounds better... but after reading so many review, I see that only very very few people have disappointment with MUSES01, while almost half of MUSES02 user is not too happy with the MUSES02...

My next project is to replace 11 pieces of MUSES8920 inside my Sony RSX-GS9 head unit which have ESS Sabre32 ES9018S DAC.
My plan is to just replace all MUSES8920 with MUSES01 since they are both JFET... but there is always this feeling... what if the MUSES02 make the bass sounds better... what is I use the MUSES02 for the rear channel and also for the subwoofer channel. (I use the rear channel to feed the midbass channel on the Zapco ASP-X4 electronic xover)... The tweeter(front channel) will always be MUSES01...

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #6,236 of 7,383
I'm a relative newbie at rolling opamps, and I have just a few quick questions:

Anybody have any experience buying amps from the ebay seller "plccenter"? I was specifically looking at this listing

A couple years back I bought a pair of LME49990MA on a single DIP8 from frugalphile for use with my Xonar DS sound card (only has a single opamp socket). Unfortunately I've only just discovered yesterday that the opamp used for the left audio channel has distortion that sounds like clipping or a blown speaker when Windows 7's volume slider is set to 50% or greater (50% is quiet with speakers but is absolutely defensing with my go-to Monoprice 9963 IEMs). And yes, this left-channel distortion issue does not occur with the stock NE5532 opamp nor with the LME49990MA used for the right audio channel.

Considering that the LME49990 is discontinued, is there really anything I can do? Or am I going to be stuck with needing to keep the volume below 50% (only really an issue with speakers) if I don't want to use a completely different model of opamp altogether?

If I'm left with no choice but to use a different model of opamp, then are there any suggestions for someone that really enjoyed the LME49990? (as long as such an opamp is a drop-in compatible replacement that is :p).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #6,237 of 7,383
AD797 seems authentic, either NOS or second hand.
Be mindful that it’s single, so you will need x2 on a single to dual adapter (Chinese Seller’s often have it backwards, dual to single).
I had similar issue with one of higher grade LM opamps, but it works fine in another circuit, go figure.
There’s a bunch of good yet timbrally different opamps out there, but it also depends on the function socketed opamp performs in your soundcard. As far as duals go AD8066 is awesome, AD826 has articulated bass, AD8620 is a bit softer and warmer, unlike AD8599, which is sharp and modern sounding.
I don’t think it’s even possible to pick up the right one from descriptions, too many variables. I have favourite opamp-earphones combos, so use different opamps for different headphones to squeeze that elusive 5% extra synergy.
Hope it helps.

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #6,238 of 7,383
I've missed the VSSOP train altogether, what other opamps apart from 1692 would be worth a shot please?

2*OPA1688 is da bomb on the output of O2 for that matter, 0.000 DC offset and super strong BA$$

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #6,239 of 7,383
533359bfa6d2c43e615697685349867b.gif

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #6,240 of 7,383
Hey my xd-05 xduuo with burson v5i-d just blew out for some reason. wasnt on high gain or anything, my headphones are fine. Anyways can anyone recommend something to replace this? Don't know whats good these days.

Did you use any other opamps yet? I just got my Burson V5i-d but it just goes into protect mode on my XD-05.. trying to see if theres any amps similar or better than the Burson..if you get anything you like let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back