The Opamp thread
Feb 15, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #5,551 of 7,383
  I've been running the single sparko's SS3601 in a Neco Soundlab V4 Dual Loving every minute but sparko's state "+/- 6V to +/- 18V supply voltage range" while the V4 is a 20V. I'm not going to roll any more opamp's in the V4 so do I ask the amps maker to reduce the supply voltage to 18V to be within the sparko's range?

Cool, another portable amp that can use the SS3601.  Joy!

Try contacting Sparkos first, to see if 20V is actually too high.  (He probably will tell you it's too high, but maybe his specs have a safety margin.)

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #5,554 of 7,383
Hi Guys,

I promised a review of the Burson V5 a long time ago, and finally here it is!

My dac (I call it The MonsterDAC - thanks to @motberg ) is based on AK4495SEQ from diyinhk.
To be honest, the name is not correct because this isn't a DAC but a networkplayer, based on Raspberry Pi3 with PicorePlayer.....

My starting point was to get the best out of the diyinhk AK4495SEQ implementation.
Of course, all starts with choosing an enclosure. I found this one very appealing, a 430x350x60mm 6kg full aluminium housing.
Since I wanted the DAC and FIFO II (including DUAL XO II board) as much as possible isolated from transformer vibrations,
I did choose for a wooden sub-chassis for all R-Cores, PSU's and EMI/RFI filters. All R-Cores are fully mounted in rubber onto the
wooden subchassis to prevent transferring the (minimal) vibrations the R-cores produce. Also DAC and FIFO II kit are fully mounted in rubber,
thus completely isolated from transformer and other vibrations.

I did choose R-Core transformers with electrostatic shield and copper outer shield for best performance.

Further, wooden subchassis, aluminium parts and RPI are fully covered and shielded with copper, which is connected to ground.

The DAC PCB is heavily modified, for example with much bigger cap values, especially for VREF, has ALL powerlines seperately fed etc.
All powerlines have a dedicated 0.8uV ultra low noise PSU (LT3042) with EMI/RFI filter on board, all PSU's have a dedicated R-Core,
and all R-cores have a dedicated EMI/RFI filter.

All EMI/RFI filters for DAC, FIFO II kit and RPI are connected to another, bigger EMI/RFI filter which keeps all digitall stuff seperated from analog stage.
Analog stage has it's own EMI/RFI filter (and, of course R-Core and 0.8uV PSU's) which is connected to mains before the bigger EMI/RFI filter for all digital stuff.
This way it keeps PSRR at the highest possible value.

DAC is fed thru I2S from Ian's FIFO II kit.

At first I used LME49720HA (MIL-SPEC metal can which DOES sound different from plastic version) and compared it with Burson Audio SS V5i
http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread/5325#post_12799851

Burson Audio SS V5i clearly was the winner! Very good sounding opamp which comes close to discrete outputstage in my opinion, so I used V5i for a while.

I couldn't resist to compare Burson Audio SS V5i with a low cost Chinese discrete FET output stage:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread/5325#post_12802191

At first, after burn-in, it sounded better, soundstage was very wide and deep, but after a while all went worse, bass was overstressed which killed the overall tonality.
To me it sounded kind of dull. Finally I went back to V5i and again was very pleased with it's performance 
bigsmile_face.gif

I kept it this way for a long time but finally replaced Burson Audio SS V5i with V5 for reviewing, as promised 
wink_face.gif

After burn-in time, about 150 hours, it immediately sounded a lot better than the V5i. They, V5i and V5, both have same sound characteristics.
The presentation is very musical, mellow, lots of detail and room information, no hint of harshness.

V5 presents it in a way I never heard before, (that is, except with my own build discrete Class-A - build with Ferranti Mosfets - output stages).
Vocals and instruments are very natural sounding, lifelike, many recordings gave me gooseflesh. The overall presentation is just amazing, the field of depth,
the ability to present accurate layers, the wideness of the soundstage (it's much bigger than my listening room, in width, depth and height),
blackness around voices and instruments, it's just breathtaking!

Also, all funny 3D and Phase gimmicks, which are present in many recordings, such as sounds BEHIND or LEFT or RIGHT from you, now really are stunning.
For example, I have a recording from some of the Telarc sample cd's (sorry, not sure which one it is) in which there is an arrow shot from behind the speakers
into the left side of the room, this now REALLY sounds as if it hits just next to me, on the left side, while before it was somewhere in the middle of the left wall.....

In my design Burson Audio SS V5 doesn't get too hot, to me it feels a few degrees above body temperature, maybe about 45 degree Celcius.

Sadly I made a mistake and asked Burson for 2x Dual version while I meant to use 2x Single for which I wanted to use seperate PSU lines.
Good thing is, this will keep some room for improvement and something to wish for 
wink_face.gif

Verdict:

If you have a high quality DAC, networkplayer, preamp, source device, bufferstage or whatever kind of opamp based outputstage, try the Burson V5 discrete opamps,
you will be pleasently be surprised on how these devices (can) perform (depending on your design)! To me they are a keeper 
wink_face.gif

I never tried the bigger V4 version, maybe that is something to keep in mind too 
wink_face.gif

Note:

If you plan to buy and use V5, you probably better contact Burson first in relation to unity gain and power consumption needed within the design of your device.

Last but definitely NOT least:

Many, many thanks to @SS-Audio Charles from Burson who provided the V5 samples and made it possible for me to review the grand SS V5! 
beerchug.gif

Regards,
Alex

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #5,555 of 7,383
Wow how many red V5 are there? Yes The Red V5 made my Oldies MHDT Paradisea 3 TD1545A NOS DAC into a beast but yours a monster:grinning:

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #5,557 of 7,383
I only see 1 V5 (top right on the 1st and 2nd pic, on the right on the 3rd). You are probably mistaken the caps for V5s.

Haha i guess so:grinning:

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #5,558 of 7,383
So I just received my newest review samples from Burson Audio!!!

They sent me replacement V5-OPA and V5i op amps, allowing me to run all V5-OPA's in the ZXR Front L/R op amp locations finally!

They also sent me their new Cable+ (RCA-to-RCA) that actually utilizes the V5i op-amp to turn every RCA signal into line level. So far my impressions are highly impressed when compared with Canare L-4E6S (Star Quad) & Mogami 2534 (Quad) (all w/ Neutrik Rean connections), which by most, are considered the upper tier of premium cables with respect to the cables actually inside the cable and not the name on the jacket. You definitely pay for Mogami and Canare names, but nothing like the dumb "Monster Cables" you used to always see at Best Buy.

Since the Cable+ uses a V5i it applies to this thread, kind of, lol. I thought you all would like to check it out if you haven't already.

I have mostly been using the Cable+ with my Aune T1 setup listed below and my Audeze EL-8s due to the ease of which I can swap and use one ear with one type (etc.).

I will be doing a full review of the Cable+ technology and more on the V5-series besides the review listed below my signature. This time however I have an entire lab full of tools including a lab grade 30V/5A DC PSU, Weller WESD51, SMD Hot Air Re-worker etc. The main gadget I will be using this go round on reviews will be the Digilent Analog Discovery2 and the accessories I will be using with it like TI's Analog System Lab Kit PRO rig that allows easy testing of any op-amp in a variety of ways. I will be able to give SNR, floor noise, THD, etc. readings from the Analog Discovery2 (20Mhz 2ch. scope + waveform gen + multi-meter + GPIO digital header for expansion boards).

I am excited about what this round of reviews is going to bring, but it's going to take me a good while to do it due to the time constraints of being a Jr in Electrical Engineering.

(Note: I am an independent reviewer and receive no financial compensation from Burson or any other company)

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #5,559 of 7,383

Also, all funny 3D and Phase gimmicks, which are present in many recordings, such as sounds BEHIND or LEFT or RIGHT from you, now really are stunning.
For example, I have a recording from some of the Telarc sample cd's (sorry, not sure which one it is) in which there is an arrow shot from behind the speakers
into the left side of the room, this now REALLY sounds as if it hits just next to me, on the left side, while before it was somewhere in the middle of the left wall.....

In my design Burson Audio SS V5 doesn't get too hot, to me it feels a few degrees above body temperature, maybe about 45 degree Celcius.

Sadly I made a mistake and asked Burson for 2x Dual version while I meant to use 2x Single for which I wanted to use seperate PSU lines.
Good thing is, this will keep some room for improvement and something to wish for 
wink_face.gif

Verdict:

If you have a high quality DAC, networkplayer, preamp, source device, bufferstage or whatever kind of opamp based outputstage, try the Burson V5 discrete opamps,
you will be pleasently be surprised on how these devices (can) perform (depending on your design)! To me they are a keeper 
wink_face.gif

I never tried the bigger V4 version, maybe that is something to keep in mind too 
wink_face.gif

I have the Telerc CD and it's called "The Great Fantasy Album" from the mid 90's.  The arrows track is from track 5 "Splitting hairs".

The V4 sound great in amplifiers.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #5,560 of 7,383
Wow how many red V5 are there? Yes The Red V5 made my Oldies MHDT Paradisea 3 TD1545A NOS DAC into a beast but yours a monster:grinning:

Yes, my beast is a monster, hahahaha, but it only does have ONE V5d, all the other red things you see are WIMA caps 
wink_face.gif

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #5,561 of 7,383

wink_face.gif

Verdict:

wink_face.gif

wink_face.gif

I have the Telerc CD and it's called "The Great Fantasy Album" from the mid 90's.  The arrows track is from track 5 "Splitting hairs".

The V4 sound great in amplifiers.

Thanks for your kind response 
wink_face.gif
 Yeah, the mid nineties, good times then 
bigsmile_face.gif
 I had one of the first cd players in that time, sounding horrible, hahahaha

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #5,562 of 7,383
Anyone know what the number and sometimes number/letter code bottom right on MUSES chips signifies...batch number/grade of chip etc ?
http://www.njr.com/MUSES/series/MUSES02.html

It seems there are many different codes on the MUSES 02 chip seller photos depending on the source.
Giving China sources a pass, just too cheap to be true.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #5,563 of 7,383

It seems there are many different codes on the MUSES 02 chip seller photos depending on the source.
Giving China sources a pass, just too cheap to be true.

I noticed that too and also passed on quite a few cheaper listings.

EDIT: No idea what the codes mean and figure its better to get them from a confirmed (by many in this thread at least) genuine source.

Looks like Mouser has them back in stock (they were out last time I bothered to check). Not a huge price difference and I only need one since neither the V5i nor Sparkos fit inside my portable amp.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #5,565 of 7,383
Tmall do have the muses02 listed (even muses03, but no one has bought it yet though.) If I'm not wrong only registered "store" (or in this case company?) with certification can sell stuff on Tmall (unlike taobao which is essentially Chinese ebay). Their listing is cheaper than the asked 50 bucks from mouser (at least in my case where on may cost me about 26-27$ for one. Though currently I'm using the sparkos one so I have little incentive to try other non discrete solutions, maybe I will asked around in my community to see if they have a muses02 that I can try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back