The Opamp thread
Jan 16, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #5,521 of 7,383
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this audio and electronics stuffs and I just bought a Walnut V2 player. Are there any suggestion on what kind of opamp that I should take to "upgrade"(not uograde, just change the soundsig a little bit) my Walnut V2?

Thanks!

U might want to check out the Walnut thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828315/walnut-hi-fi-v2-wav-mp3-player-by-wt-screenless-budget-killer-combo-dap-amp/1125#post_13157889

Cant remb when but they were talking abt it not too long ago

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #5,522 of 7,383
U might want to check out the Walnut thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828315/walnut-hi-fi-v2-wav-mp3-player-by-wt-screenless-budget-killer-combo-dap-amp/1125#post_13157889

Cant remb when but they were talking abt it not too long ago

Wow thanks! Didn't realize about that thread, just go straight to this opamp section. Really appreciate it 
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #5,523 of 7,383
  Wow thanks! Didn't realize about that thread, just go straight to this opamp section. Really appreciate it 
biggrin.gif

No worries bruh, welcome to the Walnut club! :D

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #5,524 of 7,383
Hi guys, am looking to get a cheap portable amp to bring around with my Benjie S5 and chanced upon the Bluebird U3 Mini. What attracts me is its looks (much better than the Topping NX1A) and its available at almost the same price on AE.

So my question is since i can opamp roll with the amp (stock OPA264), can i say all 8 pins audio opamp will work with it? Or is there anything i have to take note of? (Sry i am a real noob on electronics and circuits)

Thanks!

I heard the Bluebird U3 mini was a bit iffy for QC. I'm taking a chance on the new Bluebird U6-PLUS ( the new solid alu. billet machined one) for my IEMs as the specific OPA2604 it ships with goes great with my IEMs on my PB2 balanced amp ( 4x 604s).

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #5,525 of 7,383

I heard the Bluebird U3 mini was a bit iffy for QC. I'm taking a chance on the new Bluebird U6-PLUS ( the new solid alu. billet machined one) for my IEMs as the specific OPA2604 it ships with goes great with my IEMs on my PB2 balanced amp ( 4x 604s).

Ahh icic. Not much can be looked up on the Bluebird. Shall look around more before i pull the trigger :D

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #5,526 of 7,383
So, I have a bit of an interesting request for help..

I have recently finished a pair of (Open) Alpha Prime headphones and have been powering them with a simple CMOY built around a 5218A opamp  (just the best sounding opamp I had laying around).

My initial plan was to just start rolling opamps, as well as design a more advanced amp myself.  However, I have started to feel that my health is simply going to get in the way of this and time is an issue.  This project has been mainly myself, but I have been working on it with my Dad, who has been given a relatively short time to.. live. It has been a truly wonderful way to spend time together, and Id like to see it to fruition.

Between our health issues, I have instead been trying to find a solution that will be as cheap as possible and as good as possible right off the bat. I tend to prefer the warmer sound of tubes, but I think resources might be too short to really make that happen. So, I have been trying to do research on existing amp schematics as well as trying to find the opamps that will fit best.  This has turned into a bit of an exercise in frustration as there are so many resources.  Normally, Id love that, but in this situation it is simply not ideal. Frankly, I seem to be a bit too scattered overall to drill through it.

Down to business, could someone help direct me towards not just a great sounding design, but the opamps that would work best for the input and output stages?  Anything over ~$10 a piece is really, really stretching it so ICs like the MUSES02, Burson, etc. are simply out.  Of course I am looking for a good, warm sound, but this project has more meaning than that too.

I have most general parts on hand, but specifics will need to be purchased.  That should help keep costs down, but it certainly doesn't open it up enough to get the more expensive pieces out there. Despite all this, I think we can come up with something that is pretty darn good, but I find myself in need of a bit of help to find the right direction.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #5,527 of 7,383

I have recently finished a pair of (Open) Alpha Prime headphones and have been powering them with a simple CMOY built around a 5218A opamp  (just the best sounding opamp I had laying around).

My initial plan was to just start rolling opamps, as well as design a more advanced amp myself.  However, I have started to feel that my health is simply going to get in the way of this and time is an issue.  This project has been mainly myself, but I have been working on it with my Dad, who has been given a relatively short time to.. live. It has been a truly wonderful way to spend time together, and Id like to see it to fruition.

Between our health issues, I have instead been trying to find a solution that will be as cheap as possible and as good as possible right off the bat. I tend to prefer the warmer sound of tubes, but I think resources might be too short to really make that happen. So, I have been trying to do research on existing amp schematics as well as trying to find the opamps that will fit best.  This has turned into a bit of an exercise in frustration as there are so many resources.  Normally, Id love that, but in this situation it is simply not ideal. Frankly, I seem to be a bit too scattered overall to drill through it.

Down to business, could someone help direct me towards not just a great sounding design, but the opamps that would work best for the input and output stages?  Anything over ~$10 a piece is really, really stretching it so ICs like the MUSES02, Burson, etc. are simply out.  Of course I am looking for a good, warm sound, but this project has more meaning than that too.

I have most general parts on hand, but specifics will need to be purchased.  That should help keep costs down, but it certainly doesn't open it up enough to get the more expensive pieces out there. Despite all this, I think we can come up with something that is pretty darn good, but I find myself in need of a bit of help to find the right direction.

I would recommend a non-TI branded NE5532. Really any of other brands but TI have better QC and therefore better sound quality. A nice 5532 is not far off from the tone of a nice 6N30p tube imo. Good luck on your build. I don't think the 5532 will disappoint in the slightest.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #5,529 of 7,383

My initial plan was to just start rolling opamps, as well as design a more advanced amp myself. 
[...]

MUSES8820, but also MUSES8920 if you want to spend money to get both.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #5,530 of 7,383

​The NE5532 is actually one of my current picks, but Im glad to hear that it at least mimics a tube-type sound.  I have to say I really like the price on it, and alongside the MUSES, its really in the lead for final choice.

Some of the other "leaders" are the cheaper MUSES (I like the name... and yes that's silly), AD8397, LME49720, OPA1611, and OPA1688.  I looked into the LME49990, but cant seem to find it readily in stock. I haven't actually heard any of them though, and I don't like that (everyone here probably understands that one!)

I missed saying it, but I'm looking to spend $25-$30 total on all stages, so I'm not INCREDIBLY limited.  It just rules out some.  Ive honestly had some trouble thinking straight recently, so please bear with me :).  On my end, I'm hoping my experience and equipment can compensate for current issues when it comes to actual construction.  Auto-pilot and muscle memory has saved me quite a bit as of late, but sometimes it has not.

In the end, I kind of feel I would be pretty happy with any of these picks, but I'm also struggling to find a design to either clone or use as a foundation. I already know I'm not up to doing anything from scratch, but circuits like the CMOY just aren't quite up to snuff.  I think some more quality can be achieved, but I also want something a bit more involved so we can work through it. I'm currently just leaning towards adapting Walt Jung design, but I'm also hopeful for some more recent alternatives.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #5,531 of 7,383
@raoultrifan

Have you had any experience with the 8832?

I have definitely been looking at the MUSES intently, but at basically double the price of everything else in the running, that gives me pause.  My need to tinker is still in play, and if I take the MUSES out of my cart, I can get the AD8397, LME49720, NE5532, OPA1611, and OPA1688 for <$20. That might still require another shopping "trip" a week or two down the line, but I think that's doable.

I still have to get pads for my modded Fostex, though I'm strongly debating keeping the stock ones (as much as I dislike them) in order to open up a bit more opportunity in this realm of things.

ETA:  Looks like quoting is the way to go, rather than clicking reply!

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #5,532 of 7,383
If you like tubes then stuff like the OPA2228 (note its only really stable above gains of 5, not unity stable and fussy about compensation caps, etc.) and OPA1602 are worth a consideration. The 2228 has a rich tube-a-like mid-range but the bass and treble are much more solid state sounding while the 1602 is mellow and neutral slightly rolled off towards the top and bottom.

Personally I wouldn't say the OPA1611 or 1612 and OPA1688 are really for someone who like tubes as in my experience they have a slightly bright and energetic sound.

Topology wise I'd either look at O2 variants or something like the PPA - both are possible to simplify significantly with great sound if you want i.e. miss out the power management circuit on the O2 if its entirely desktop wired in if you want to keep it simpler.

While the O2 type setup is pretty hard to beat without going super high end my current favourite is actually a 4 channel (active ground) setup that is similar to the PPA but omits the outer loop and buffer using AD8066 op amps (as its setup for "balanced" output it uses separate isolated power supplies for each left and right channel).

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #5,533 of 7,383

LME49990 + BUF634P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back