The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #1,891 of 5,761
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #1,892 of 5,761
Already Read that months ago :)
Also, same question could go with DSD remastering, converting all PCM signals to their DSD creation, strange but tasty uh? Ahah S-Master HX is the stranger here uuhh, 'what kinda thing is this thing?!' lol
Sorry again, dunno what's happening while i'll just modify my posts..

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #1,893 of 5,761
It's not a mystery with DSD. It simply sounds better when it doesn't have to go through the SDM/SRC/multibit conversion process that it must go through in most chips that were designed primarily for processing PCM. FPGA DSD upsampling uses a 1bit sample that's then converted. Much better results in comparison to traditional PCM upsampling.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,895 of 5,761
My Focal Stellia sounds so much better after I connect it to the ZH1ES compares to my WM1Z. It’s an end game combo to me.
.... Well that makes everything costlier! LOL

What about the Z1R's hooked up directly to the WM1Z, (anybody with experience), decent sound, sufficient power?

Thinking that perhaps the (2) for now, adding the ZH1ES later...

Apr 15, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #1,896 of 5,761
Zeos reviewed the amp, sadly not with the Z1R to try it with.

He very hesitantly not excited about how it sounds (but then again he's more of a Powaaaaaa~! guy when reviewing amp stage, precisely the TA's Achilles heel)

But loves the build and care put into it.

He said "if it's $1K tho, it's a buy".

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,897 of 5,761

He very hesitantly not excited about how it sounds (but then again he's more of a Powaaaaaa~! guy when reviewing amp stage, precisely the TA's Achilles heel)

Yes... He doesn't seem very stoked about it does he ?

AND... this was a goal of mine to eventually get.

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #1,898 of 5,761
Yes... He doesn't seem very stoked about it does he ?

AND... this was a goal of mine to eventually get.

Good goal, stick to it

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #1,899 of 5,761
Good goal, stick to it

+1 ...... I think his cost complaints are limited to his pocket book constraints not the quality of the unit. In fact most of his comments appear to be based on his limited budget. Sony must not think much of his review skills or they would have offered to loan him review units.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 15, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,901 of 5,761
Get the WM1Z as well, or any other suggestions for a DAP?

Just seems like (as I read about those fortunate enough to have) the WM1Z, Z1R, and the ZH1ES Trifecta is pretty darn SWEET!

I use an Auralic Aries Mini as source for the TA as the storage capacity of the 1Z is way too small for my home rig but love the 1Z as my travel (not on the go) rig

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #1,902 of 5,761
Z... lol whatever. He said it was overbuilt in the comments and I knew right then and there he didn't appreciate the work that went into the ZH1. Maybe he's trying to use Audeze's or other hard to drive cans with it, it didn't have a lot of headroom with my LCD-2 when I had it.

As far as DSEE HX, I somewhat felt it made more of a difference on the PHA-3 than it does on the ZH1. The ZH1 is a more sophisticated sound to start with and I just leave all it's features on, they all sound good to me and are part of why I bought it. Sometimes I turn them off, but I usually end up with them all on eventually.

Listening to it with my new Meze Empyreans tonight. Like the Utopia it has a wonderful synergy with it and I can reach the full volume I need around -20 to -15 db on high gain, similar to the Utopia, maybe needing a slight bit more.

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,903 of 5,761

This is the same reviewer for the Gishelli Dac, that review was a total bore, so is this review if it can be called that. Oh it’s expensive, so is the RMS Queen Mary, the point? Gave up after 4 mins with the sticker rant. Hires audio sticker means something as well as 20-20k look it up.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #1,904 of 5,761
+1 ...... I think his cost complaints are limited to his pocket book constraints not the quality of the unit. In fact most of his comments appear to be based on his limited budget. Sony must not think much of his review skills or they would have offered to loan him review units.
Well OK the other hand Patron send him stuffs, do Sony even send Demo to anyone? I thought only dealers got them.
About the review itself, well~
He's not really iffed about the build, he loves it for its simplicity actually, what it can do, plugging 5 headphones at the same time, the remote, etc.

He's just not too cuffed with how underpowered he feels it is for the weight and heat it give off.

He's not really one to use IEM on desktop, and his lightest to drive Fullsize is the AD2000X. Heck he even commented, "plug in a Liquid spark to its RCA out and compare the A/B amp power on it".

For its sound. He ain't wowed by it, "it's. . Good", preferred his own THX789 to it.
DSEEHX, he said " try it out, on off for a couple hours, if you like the change, leave it on, if not, off", he much prefer a self adjustable EQ with clear technical term than the random DSP name like "string", or "acoustic" etc (like I also wonder what the heck does that naming mean, lol)

Well I know TA's Amp power is its Achilles heel, so I guess it's just not for him in the first place.

Overall I think he gave it quite a fair shake, he also shows basically all the quirk the amp has, in all its built, menu and settings.

Not that I'm really trying to shamelessly defend him, it's just I don't really see that vudeo has much of a bias, just a reviewer giving his opinion.

It's not even a bashing video, he snark at Chord's offerings much, much harder (poor Mojo and Qutest...)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #1,905 of 5,761
Well, I mean that's all fine. It's not the amp for everyone. There's a ton of great amps out there after all. Including tube amps.

As far as the amps power, I know that it can drive the Utopia, the Empyrean and the HD800 completely adequately and at safe levels for long periods of fatigue free listening....

The only time I noticed that I was close to maxing it out was with the LCD-2, which struggled to be as efficient as other headphones. And even then, I was able to get it amped, for me, well. So it might not be the best pick for say, an LCD-4z unless it's gotten more efficient (never had one).

I also have an HD600 at 300 ohms that has no issues with it, but I never use that headphone anymore for obvious reasons.

I am using it in balanced mode and high gain for everything but IEMs, so maybe it's single ended power is the issue for some ? Dunno.

I guess I've had other more powerful amps - I had a tube amp that I couldn't use the full range of the dial with (nothing past 12 o'clock) or it would be painful - not sure how useful that is in actual real life tho.

But I really question that it is not powerful enough. Especially since I know that it is great with some of the best cans out there.

Protect your hearing folks ! Don't listen at 100+ db for long periods, you WILL have problems when you get older ! Dont' continue to turn volume up after you have it at a level you feel is good.

Anyway, Z is not my style. He's got a big youtube following of younger people it seems like, I'm more of a Tyll or Currawong type person. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back