The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 10, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,876 of 5,761
The 4Z and Utopia will pair well with the TA-ZH1ES if you are looking to go balanced on it. In a perfect world, I would suggest using the Hugo 2 rca into the TA-ZH1ES so you could get the Dac of the H2 and the amp of the TA-ZH1ES but that would be quite a bit of money.

Sony is a big company, I have definitely been bounced around the Sony support line before finding the right guy in USA who could help me with the NW-WM1Z question.
I heard the TA-ZH1ES has a very very good dac and the amp was not so good instead.. Did you tried it? You think amp is better?
But god if Sony support suck, such a big company and 0 support value.. 0!!

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,877 of 5,761
I heard the TA-ZH1ES has a very very good dac and the amp was not so good instead.. Did you tried it? You think amp is better?
I like the Dac on the Sony TA-ZH1ES, it is by no means a bad dac. Definitely a warmer sound than the Hugo 2.

Apr 10, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,878 of 5,761

I find the Sony to be a better total solution than my previous setup which was the dac in my Audiolab cd player going balanced into a RudiStor RPX-100 quad mono fully balanced amp so both the dac part and the amp part are very good

Apr 10, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,879 of 5,761
I find the Sony to be a better total solution than my previous setup which was the dac in my Audiolab cd player going balanced into a RudiStor RPX-100 quad mono fully balanced amp so both the dac part and the amp part are very good
I'm sold
I just need to make sure Optical Toslink works fine with DSEE HX and DSD Remastering :) And if sounds good in it.

Apr 10, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #1,880 of 5,761
I'm sold
I just need to make sure Optical Toslink works fine with DSEE HX and DSD Remastering :) And if sounds good in it.
It does. Same way it works on the UDA-1. It's just a filter your enabling. It works on all inputs. Personally I think it's one of the most worthless things Sony continually hypes in their hifi marketing.

Apr 10, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,881 of 5,761
It does. Same way it works on the UDA-1. It's just a filter your enabling. It works on all inputs. Personally I think it's one of the most worthless things Sony continually hypes in their hifi marketing.
Tried? You can certify me that? I also hope that sound with toslink and dsee and mostly DSDremastering don't lag/retard too much, because i will use mostly for gaming on new and olds Playstations, with DSEE and DSDre on games will be a dream come true :)
Well, it depends mostly how you like upsampled sound, i do really like it.. I didn't tried DSD remastering Engine but they talk nice, i did tried native DSD, will be interesting how singleplayer gaming will sound with DSDre lol
Why i say lol
This is no joke stuff
:p

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #1,882 of 5,761
Tried? You can certify me that? I also hope that sound with toslink and dsee and mostly DSDremastering don't lag/retard too much, because i will use mostly for gaming on new and olds Playstations, with DSEE and DSDre on games will be a dream come true :)
Well, it depends mostly how you like upsampled sound, i do really like it.. I didn't tried DSD remastering Engine but they talk nice, i did tried native DSD, will be interesting how singleplayer gaming will sound with DSDre lol
Why i say lol
This is no joke stuff
:p
DSD remastering is just more marketing speak. It's a FPGA dac that upsamples in DSD if you so choose. That's how it works, which is why doing DSD upsampling on the source end is counterintuitive to using a DSD upsampling DAC. This is just how the PS Audio Direcstream and DSJ work only with them the DSD upsampling is built-in so even your PCM gets upsampled.

I will give you this though, never seen someone care SO much about the filters almost everyone ends up ignoring lol

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,883 of 5,761
DSD remastering is just more marketing speak. It's a FPGA dac that upsamples in DSD if you so choose. That's how it works, which is why doing DSD upsampling on the source end is counterintuitive to using a DSD upsampling DAC. This is just how the PS Audio Direcstream and DSJ work only with them the DSD upsampling is built-in so even your PCM gets upsampled.

I will give you this though, never seen someone care SO much about the filters almost everyone ends up ignoring lol
I care about upsampling because i think is sounds better, and i think that should be the future standard, like the 'revolutionary' HDR remastering on tv's by Sony, and their chip and bla bla..
To you those 'filters' could count as: just waste of money/0/almost 0/little.. To me I care about, and it's amazing that i could do Upsampling to dsd on the fly playing old Playstations 2 and 3 (Yes, i'm an appassionate gamer) Just that, i associate Sony as bringing the future but hey, don't listen the words in this phrase ;p

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #1,884 of 5,761
Ops i replied without purpose my previous post, can't delete this, sorry..

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,885 of 5,761
I think you missed my point cause I have DSD upsampling DAC's and think they're better than PCM dacs for sure. I've just never found filters particularly useful and Sony has a history of marketing gimmicky features like that (DSEE has been their gimmick for a decade).

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #1,886 of 5,761
I think you missed my point cause I have DSD upsampling DAC's and think they're better than PCM dacs for sure. I've just never found filters particularly useful and Sony has a history of marketing gimmicky features like that (DSEE has been their gimmick for a decade).
Yeah i heard that you like that found the DSD upsampling from dac's good actually, good to hear, i was just generalizing before, sorry to not point that :p And you never seen any other person to care about those 'filters' because.. It's real, because i really care about them, would be the only way to play old console in toslink optical :xf_eek: with upsampled audio, years ago was unthinkable, as i said i really like 'upsampled audio hi-res' audio and i got almost all Sony stuff, my Xperia maybe can work as hi-res audio player without Spending money on walkman (I don't really know if walkman's got better sound quality to connect the Amp vs PC or smartphones, but my foobar2000 is buzzling a little, i just hope with Xperia or sony hi-res audio player will work nice and without buzz), anyway i don't buy the TA-ZH1ES for music, well it's nice to have some music, but i'll use mostly for gaming, i could probably be the first to buy that for gaming purpose ahah
And yeah, Dsee hx and DSDre filters also really work as a marketing specs, work as their business..
Anyway i only heard great things about this amp, and, his main streght could probably be is durability, Sony is known for that, TA-ZH1ES seems not excepcion, i think even in 10-15 years this amp will work perfectly.. And maybe something like THX 789 and SMSL D1 dac could fall after short years? Maybe that already happened to someone..
:)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,887 of 5,761
DSD Remastering as Sony calls it is not a filter. Let's be clear about that. Filters shape the sound. DSD upsampling is a completely different way of converting the audio, not just a filter.

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #1,888 of 5,761
DSD Remastering as Sony calls it is not a filter. Let's be clear about that. Filters shape the sound. DSD upsampling is a completely different way of converting the audio, not just a filter.
Ok fine, but DSEE HX as i know is an upsampler too, it brings up to 384khz/32bit, how would you call it? It's a technology/function that apply filters to make it happen, like dsd i think.. Hope to be on the right way ahah :) Well i could be wrong too, because i don't get how the Dsee hx can work together with DSDre, is they can

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,889 of 5,761

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,890 of 5,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back