The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 7, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,861 of 5,761
So, still anybody can't answer if TA-ZH1ES works with Dsee hx and DSDre on optical? And if i can ask, it sound good with optical toslink? Even Sony didn't answered me :O

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #1,862 of 5,761
Do you guys use a power conditioner for TA-ZH1ES? Which, cheap one or expensive one? Do you think can improve to clean the TA-ZH1ES, and preventing damaging for thunders or anyway some sovrattensions? Do you think in 150-500 price range i could improve sound and/or prevent damage for sovrattension? Thanks

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,864 of 5,761
So, still anybody can't answer if TA-ZH1ES works with Dsee hx and DSDre on optical? And if i can ask, it sound good with optical toslink? Even Sony didn't answered me :O

I am pretty sure that those features are available on all inputs as long as the source is PCM. If the source is DSD, then neither of these are active. I dont know if DSD can go over toslink tho. I use USB. I have an optical cable and I think my old macbook as optical out so I’ll try when I get home for you if I can find the cable. Again, for most purposes tho, I feel that USB is the most sensible option.

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,865 of 5,761
Do you guys use a power conditioner for TA-ZH1ES? Which, cheap one or expensive one? Do you think can improve to clean the TA-ZH1ES, and preventing damaging for thunders or anyway some sovrattensions? Do you think in 150-500 price range i could improve sound and/or prevent damage for sovrattension? Thanks

I imagine it might have benefits. It would be the last thing I upgraded in any system. Headphones first, then cables and filters, then power after the amp.

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #1,866 of 5,761
does anybody know how this compares to the Hugo 2? I'm thinking about selling my Hugo 2 and going for a balanced desktop set up.
Never heard the Hugo 2 but something i’ve always wondered. I’ve heard it described as more analytical, like a laser on the sound, whereas to my ears the ZH1 is laid back and somewhat warm sounding as dacs go. Definately not sharp like Sabres are.

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,867 of 5,761
Never heard the Hugo 2 but something i’ve always wondered. I’ve heard it described as more analytical, like a laser on the sound, whereas to my ears the ZH1 is laid back and somewhat warm sounding as dacs go. Definately not sharp like Sabres are.
Yes its very analytical and has exquisite detail, its also not warm at all. The filters however don't really do much besides X PHD which adds some space and soundstage but I don't think it does it very well, at least with my LCD 4zs and focal Utopias I've used on this amp

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #1,868 of 5,761
I am pretty sure that those features are available on all inputs as long as the source is PCM. If the source is DSD, then neither of these are active. I dont know if DSD can go over toslink tho. I use USB. I have an optical cable and I think my old macbook as optical out so I’ll try when I get home for you if I can find the cable. Again, for most purposes tho, I feel that USB is the most sensible option.
I'll be really grateful if you'll try with optical, on game console if you have and can, with Dsee hx and DSDremastering, to see if those amazings functions work even on Optical toslink
I had to ask Sony two times, first, they miscomprended my question, telling me it works in optical. I did know that, it have an optical input! And second, they tell it works with Dsee hx and DSDremastered, wow, what a news. But they didn't tell me if Dsee hx and DSDremastering works with optical, so i asked again.

They responded me - With reference to your communication we cannot guarantee or guarantee functionality on models not yet released.

However we can forward your observation to improve the quality of our products.
(In Italian..) LOL What kinda joke is this? TA-ZH1ES was is out by 2016, do you call this a support? I have no words, Sony Italian support 5-6 Times I needed support they missed so bad everytime i asked, they so bad, that they are easily the World's worst support ever, maybe the worst support-not support ever :S

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,869 of 5,761
Yes its very analytical and has exquisite detail, its also not warm at all. The filters however don't really do much besides X PHD which adds some space and soundstage but I don't think it does it very well, at least with my LCD 4zs and focal Utopias I've used on this amp
The 4Z and Utopia will pair well with the TA-ZH1ES if you are looking to go balanced on it. In a perfect world, I would suggest using the Hugo 2 rca into the TA-ZH1ES so you could get the Dac of the H2 and the amp of the TA-ZH1ES but that would be quite a bit of money.

I'll be really grateful if you'll try with optical, on game console if you have, with Dsee hx and DSDremastering
I had to ask Sony two times, first, they miscomprended my question, telling me it works in optical. I did know that, it have an optical input! And second, they tell it works with Dsee hx and DSDremastered, wow, what a news. But they didn't tell me if Dsee hx and DSDremastering works with optical, so i asked again.

They responded me - With reference to your communication we cannot guarantee or guarantee functionality on models not yet released.

(In Italian..) LOL What kinda joke is this? TA-ZH1ES was is out by 2016, do you call this a support? I have no words, Sony Italian support 5-6 Times I needed support they missed so bad everytime i asked, they so bad, that they are easily the World's worst support ever, maybe the worst support-not support ever :S
Sony is a big company, I have definitely been bounced around the Sony support line before finding the right guy in USA who could help me with the NW-WM1Z question.

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,870 of 5,761
The 4Z and Utopia will pair well with the TA-ZH1ES if you are looking to go balanced on it. In a perfect world, I would suggest using the Hugo 2 rca into the TA-ZH1ES so you could get the Dac of the H2 and the amp of the TA-ZH1ES but that would be quite a bit of money.

wouldn't it defeat the purpose of a balanced out if the Hugo's dac is not balanced? The Hugo cannot be used as a pure dac anyways, I'm also experimenting right now if an DAC even matters. I've heard arguments on both sides I just want to be sure.

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #1,871 of 5,761
The 4Z and Utopia will pair well with the TA-ZH1ES if you are looking to go balanced on it. In a perfect world, I would suggest using the Hugo 2 rca into the TA-ZH1ES so you could get the Dac of the H2 and the amp of the TA-ZH1ES but that would be quite a bit of money..

wouldn't it defeat the purpose of a balanced out if the Hugo's dac is not balanced? The Hugo cannot be used as a pure dac anyways, I'm also experimenting right now if an DAC even matters. I've heard arguments on both sides I just want to be sure

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #1,872 of 5,761
wouldn't it defeat the purpose of a balanced out if the Hugo's dac is not balanced? The Hugo cannot be used as a pure dac anyways, I'm also experimenting right now if an DAC even matters. I've heard arguments on both sides I just want to be sure
You would still be getting the benefit of the Balanced amp of the Sony. Individual amps driving each channel giving you better channel separation, bigger soundstage, more power than single ended, and a slight gain. I am a big fan of the Chord dacs at a personal level.

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #1,873 of 5,761
I'll be really grateful if you'll try with optical, on game console if you have and can, with Dsee hx and DSDremastering, to see if those amazings functions work even on Optical toslink

I run optical from my tv to the Sony and I assume both features work as the indicator lights on the front are on. Just be aware the dsee only works up to 48khz and 24 bits

7C3959CC-500B-4958-89E6-558140D1FF55.jpeg

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,874 of 5,761
I imagine it might have benefits. It would be the last thing I upgraded in any system. Headphones first, then cables and filters, then power after the amp.
I run optical from my tv to the Sony and I assume both features work as the indicator lights on the front are on. Just be aware the dsee only works up to 48khz and 24 bits

Nice, i need to be sure about it, otherwise probably i will not get TA-ZH1ES, ehm, do you need differences with Dsee and DSDre with optical like it is on usb ? It sound good? tradyblix i would really glad if you try yourself when you can :)

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,875 of 5,761
Nice, i need to be sure about it, otherwise probably i will not get TA-ZH1ES, ehm, do you need differences with Dsee and DSDre with optical like it is on usb ? It sound good? tradyblix i would really glad if you try yourself when you can :)

I just set it up when I got the amp 2 years ago, have never done any critical listening to detect the effect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back