The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Oct 25, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #1,696 of 5,761
hi guys,
I remember someone here said this amp sound just so so when using usb. However, he was not sure it might that his ipad/macbook had problem.
So, had anyone using it using usb and listen through headphone?

Please let me know.
thankyou.

There are many ways to get music into the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP. All the ways sound incredible and are easy as pie to get going. The Sony dock is one of the best regarded ways. One member found a site where they disassembled the dock showing the helpful circuitry. We may be in the realm of placebo or my hearing can't distinguish the difference using the DAPs or a computer?

Truthfully though using regular USB cables it may just sound slightly better using the dock. The included mini-USB joins the 1A/1Z to the side of the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP unit. There is also a small additional connection but it serves as physical support for the tiny USB plug.The side connection is regarded as the third best route. The second way is to connect using a regular USB cable with the dongle and Sony DAP, in two weeks I get a AudioQuest Carbon which may make a difference? But the USB cable can be used with the dongle from the bottom of the DAP, or regular USB from a computer to the TA amp in the rear.

The dock has mini USB to go computer in or through, and a full size USB out to the TA amp. In the picture I'm using a mini USB to hook up a Macbook Air to the 1Z using it as a DAC.

But using a Sony DAP or a computer seems to sound the same so far?

So rumor has it that the dock and Sony DAP with AudioQuest Carbon is the way to go. One thing I can verify is the Toslink SPDIF RCA going in from a CD transport is miles below using the computer or dock. Don't know why this would be but it's noticeable side by side. So your best ripping your CDs to the computer or loading the DAPs with files. This is quite the statement from me as I have thought CDs in a transport were better than computer audio up until the TA amp arrived.

dock.jpg

dock 2.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #1,697 of 5,761
The main reason for the TA-ZH1ES was for its ability to accept DSD256 on USB, and use the line out to a pre-amp. The HP section was a nice bonus. To have a good shot at USB input, from a Mac mini output, was no go Joe. Far too rough a diamond. Added an ifi microUSB3.0, this smoothed the rough edges out, but not completely. Tried a Xeon computer with usb extender, was a lot better, but did not compare with a rotating CD/SACD from this player.

OK, canned that approach, and used the RCA Line out from the pre-amp to the line in and used the various outputs on either HD800S or HD820. Getting closer. Something is still not right, still that bland non engaging sound, is it the DSD treatment on the line in, had it set to DSD128, DSEE HX was off did very little. On the HD800S, used the XLR4 out on the HD820 the standard 1/4in TRS.

Last night made a lengthy comparison between the SE headphone output from an Accuphase C-2420 pre-amp to the Sony and found a vast difference between the two, with the pre-amp a lot more drive (with a +10db boost in volume to compensate for the 'high' impedance of the Sennheiser). The pre-amp has an immediate presence of authority that the Sony could not match. I could listen to the pre-amp for a long time with ease, the Sony was only a few minutes and the sound became boring and fatiguing.

What the Sony is good at though is accepting the coax input from a BD player with movies, thumbs up there, but for music, it's not for me. YMMV.

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,698 of 5,761
The main reason for the TA-ZH1ES was for its ability to accept DSD256 on USB, and use the line out to a pre-amp. The HP section was a nice bonus. To have a good shot at USB input, from a Mac mini output, was no go Joe. Far too rough a diamond. Added an ifi microUSB3.0, this smoothed the rough edges out, but not completely. Tried a Xeon computer with usb extender, was a lot better, but did not compare with a rotating CD/SACD from this player.

OK, canned that approach, and used the RCA Line out from the pre-amp to the line in and used the various outputs on either HD800S or HD820. Getting closer. Something is still not right, still that bland non engaging sound, is it the DSD treatment on the line in, had it set to DSD128, DSEE HX was off did very little. On the HD800S, used the XLR4 out on the HD820 the standard 1/4in TRS.

Last night made a lengthy comparison between the SE headphone output from an Accuphase C-2420 pre-amp to the Sony and found a vast difference between the two, with the pre-amp a lot more drive (with a +10db boost in volume to compensate for the 'high' impedance of the Sennheiser). The pre-amp has an immediate presence of authority that the Sony could not match. I could listen to the pre-amp for a long time with ease, the Sony was only a few minutes and the sound became boring and fatiguing.

What the Sony is good at though is accepting the coax input from a BD player with movies, thumbs up there, but for music, it's not for me. YMMV.

The bypass of computer input has been my MO for years. What........... doing away with dirty and unstable USB digital signals. So what your saying with the Accuphase makes complete sense to me. Actually I thought getting DAPs as a file server was a way for me to bypass computers all together. But in my system the computer sounds good going into the TA? I had to climb down from my anti-computer audio soapbox............all those rants...you know.

So when you hooked up the Accuphase as a transport you obtained better results with the DSD up-sampling lowered?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #1,699 of 5,761
The bypass of computer input has been my MO for years. What........... doing away with dirty and unstable USB digital signals. So what your saying with the Accuphase makes complete sense to me. Actually I thought getting DAPs as a file server was a way for me to bypass computers all together. But in my system the computer sounds good going into the TA? I had to climb down from my anti-computer audio soapbox............all those rants...you know.

So when you hooked up the Accuphase as a transport you obtained better results with the DSD up-sampling off?

The joy of USB is its bandwidth, like DSD1024(!), at the expense of containing or reflecting the noise back to the source which is not easy. I've tried iGalvanic and Intona with very limited effect plus many other method$, so have given up on computer derived playback to try and match CD/SACD and relegate it to the class of radio and I won't be disappointing....

Far as I am aware, the Sony converts the RCA analog in to DSD or PCM (not sure), so it's never a straight wire with gain. Not too sure why they did this, perhaps there's too much digital noise for the analog inputs to reject noise?

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #1,700 of 5,761
The joy of USB is its bandwidth, like DSD1024(!), at the expense of containing or reflecting the noise back to the source which is not easy. I've tried iGalvanic and Intona with very limited effect plus many other method$, so have given up on computer derived playback to try and match CD/SACD and relegate it to the class of radio and I won't be disappointing....

Far as I am aware, the Sony converts the RCA analog in to DSD or PCM (not sure), so it's never a straight wire with gain. Not too sure why they did this, perhaps there's too much digital noise for the analog inputs to reject noise?

They convert to dsd. The reason is that everything inside happens in the digital domain. I’m very happy with the Auralic Aries Mini via usb as source

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #1,701 of 5,761

I don’t have your SACD/CD player, also it sounds like your only using the TA as a preamp? But every system is different as well as each person is looking for something in the signature.

For years and years I’ve hated computer audio. Something about the timing in Foobar2000 before WASAPI was set up. And.........it set up a phobia in my mind that the timing was not right. CDs off a transport sounded correct, computers no.

And I’m not using speakers nor other amplifiers, just some headphones with the TA. So the original question about computers sounding off on the TA could absolutely be true. But again, this all comes down to the convoluted timing issues; which you bypass pretty much with a CD player.

I just seemed to get good authority and detail from the TA, so I started to forget about my USB timing placebo/anti placebo issues.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,704 of 5,761
Guys, i just wanted to look at the manual to the TA & decided to look on their site. ( Sony U.K. ) & the TA isn't showing. ( I could have sworn there was an "amplifier" section, but can't see that either ?? ) Strange, perhaps updating that page ??

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,705 of 5,761
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,707 of 5,761
Thanks for that, but interesting ( or not interesting ! ) that the product page - headphone amplifier page isn't showing.....i think i've got too much time to think ! lol

Just buy one and you will not have to read about them.

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,709 of 5,761
Thanks for that, but interesting ( or not interesting ! ) that the product page - headphone amplifier page isn't showing.....i think i've got too much time to think ! lol

Yes you are right, there is something strange happening 0n Sony.co.uk website.

The TA, SONY MDRZ1R and 2 premium NW WALKMANS are all gone. Also the Z1R now has 1-3month wait on Amazon website = selling direct and fulfilled by Amazon. The other strange thing is the TA just went up from £1,499 to £1,640 from Amazon.co.uk = sold/fulfilled via Amazon.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #1,710 of 5,761
I've been the proud owner of one since July 24th, 2018. ( I just couldn't be bothered to get up & get the manual ! lol )

I’ve never read the manual either. With the remote and top buttons it’s easy. Probably the ease of use is my favorite aspect besides the sound........uh and the looks.......uh ... and the construction...and the feel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back