The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Oct 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,666 of 5,747
How many of you have the TA paired with the Z1R ? Thinking of buying the Z1R, but have bever spent this kind of money on headphones before.....i'd never bought anything so expensive, until i purchased my TA. ( Don't regret that purchase, at all, but don't want to pay even more for headphones, to be disappointed in any way. )

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #1,667 of 5,747
How many of you have the TA paired with the Z1R ? Thinking of buying the Z1R, but have bever spent this kind of money on headphones before.....i'd never bought anything so expensive, until i purchased my TA. ( Don't regret that purchase, at all, but don't want to pay even more for headphones, to be disappointed in any way. )

I would go with the HD800 instead of the Z1R unless you want a closed headphones. To my ears, the TA-ZH1ES is a better match to the HD-800 compared to the Z1R. My HD800 has a HDR modded and recabled with Moon-Audio Black Dragon.

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #1,668 of 5,747

I have the pair and love it but would say that you should audition the Z1R before buying as it has a very different sound sig that is rather polarising

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,670 of 5,747
^ ^ ^

Thanks guys, for your feedback. I can't audition any headphones, unfortunately. ( I'm basically housebound. )

I've read a fair bit of positive feedback for the Z1R's, but i guess that's probably the same for the HD800, too !

They are both amazing but very different phones

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,671 of 5,747
Experienced TA-ZH1ES users which Headphone output gives the best sound i have one on order and also ordering headphones so need to know the best suited cable plugs?
Thanks.

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,672 of 5,747

I have both headphones and it would depend on the type of music you listen too predominately as well. I find the HD800 (not the S version) excellent with really well recorded music - good dynamic range, it excels with classical and jazz. The Sony is a better all rounder in that it is more forgiving with low fi recordings such as edm, pop etc. The HD800 is more realistic, detailed and on some recordings bright and or sterile. The Z1R is warmer, less detailed, still a very good headphone. Remember the HD800 is open and the Z1R is closed, so if your listening environment is noisy the Z1R will have an advantage.
I would try before you buy as you are concerned about the cost. Ah I see you can’t- well that’s hard then because I have no idea what kind of music you like.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,673 of 5,747
I would get the HD800S version.

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,674 of 5,747
I have both headphones and it would depend on the type of music you listen too predominately as well. I find the HD800 (not the S version) excellent with really well recorded music - good dynamic range, it excels with classical and jazz. The Sony is a better all rounder in that it is more forgiving with low fi recordings such as edm, pop etc. The HD800 is more realistic, detailed and on some recordings bright and or sterile. The Z1R is warmer, less detailed, still a very good headphone. Remember the HD800 is open and the Z1R is closed, so if your listening environment is noisy the Z1R will have an advantage.
I would try before you buy as you are concerned about the cost. Ah I see you can’t- well that’s hard then because I have no idea what kind of music you like.

Thanks for your feedback. I listen to all kinds of music. What i love about the TA, that every music genre i've listened to, has been so good, amazing, at it's best & i want a headphone that will give me the wow factor. ( Just like the TA. ) The Z1R as an all rounder, sounds promising & what i'm probably veering to ?

( My music collection is mainly pop & rock. )

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,675 of 5,747
The TA and Z1R sound best using a balanced connection and an all copper cable. The stock cable is silver plated and to me had less bass impact and made the highs harsh. If you can go for it, the Kimber AXIOS Cu is a great cable. As it restored the bass impact and smoothed out the highs. Otherwise I would look at the Sony Kimber or another pure copper cable.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #1,676 of 5,747
The TA and Z1R sound best using a balanced connection and an all copper cable. The stock cable is silver plated and to me had less bass impact and made the highs harsh. If you can go for it, the Kimber AXIOS Cu is a great cable. As it restored the bass impact and smoothed out the highs. Otherwise I would look at the Sony Kimber or another pure copper cable.

Thanks for feedback. I do use balanced connection & do have pure copper cables, with the headphones i own.

( On a side note, finally sorted out connection, for use with speakers & have to say, ( Just like headphone use. ) i've never heard the detail like this before. ( Just another reason, to buy the TA, for those still sitting on the fence ? )

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,677 of 5,747
If you have a chance, try them out both and report back. My SDR modded HD800 sure won me over the Z1R on both the 1Z & TA-ZH1ES system.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,678 of 5,747

As long as you’re thinking of spending this amount of $$$$ on headphones, I’d also consider the Audeze line. I’ve got my TA paired with Audeze LCD-3’s, and it’s quite a marvelous sound. (From what I’ve read, I kind of suspect that the Sony ‘phones would sound more like the LCD-3’s than the Senns, but I could very well be totally wrong, as I’ve never heard the Sony’s. FWIW, I’ve never been enamoured by the Senns.)

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #1,679 of 5,747
When I was auditioning headphones I listened to the LCD-3 and LCD-4 alongside the Z1R on the TA. I found that the Sony had much better bass with details that equaled the Audeze. The only thing that the Audeze did better than the Sony was that it had a larger soundstage.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,680 of 5,747
As long as you’re thinking of spending this amount of $$$$ on headphones, I’d also consider the Audeze line. I’ve got my TA paired with Audeze LCD-3’s, and it’s quite a marvelous sound. (From what I’ve read, I kind of suspect that the Sony ‘phones would sound more like the LCD-3’s than the Senns, but I could very well be totally wrong, as I’ve never heard the Sony’s. FWIW, I’ve never been enamoured by the Senns.)

I know the most important thing is the sound, but the Audeze line of headphones, look extremely heavy, & i'd imagine uncomfortable to wear, besides a definite contender, of being the ugliest looking. ( Like two housebricks attached to your ears, except they're round. )

Not for me....and even more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back