The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,201 of 5,796
I just talked on the Z1R thread about the TA-ZH1ES, and think its a perfect combo... I first listened to it with the HD800 (how I like to listen to all gear first) and from that had a bias that the TA-ZH1ES would be too warm for the Z1R. I then listen to that combo and pretty much said "wow" in my head. That amp really pulls everything out of the Z1R. For me it was perfect synergy. There is another synergistic combo that it reminded me of a lot but since we don't sell the whole combo I am not at liberty to say what it is lol.

Now the HD800s is something that I cant remember now how I felt about it. It really all comes down to personal preference exactly as @TSAVJason said! I wish we still had our demo of it. We have since sold it, and not sure what we have left. Pittsburgh foot traffic for a piece like that is not what its like in other areas. It is easily worth demoing though if you can find a place near you!

Pittsburgh needs to wake up and drop by Music To My Ear to audition gear and develop a relationship with a great customer service based retailer.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 19, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,202 of 5,796
I just talked on the Z1R thread about the TA-ZH1ES, and think its a perfect combo... I first listened to it with the HD800 (how I like to listen to all gear first) and from that had a bias that the TA-ZH1ES would be too warm for the Z1R. I then listen to that combo and pretty much said "wow" in my head. That amp really pulls everything out of the Z1R. For me it was perfect synergy. There is another synergistic combo that it reminded me of a lot but since we don't sell the whole combo I am not at liberty to say what it is lol.

Now the HD800s is something that I cant remember now how I felt about it. It really all comes down to personal preference exactly as @TSAVJason said! I wish we still had our demo of it. We have since sold it, and not sure what we have left. Pittsburgh foot traffic for a piece like that is not what its like in other areas. It is easily worth demoing though if you can find a place near you!
We have the same sentiment, initially i felt that ZH1ES and Z1R is tad too warm and too laid back, but after more hours, i do understand what sony is trying to achieve with their signature series, which i really appreciate.
the sony combo never harsh and just fun, engaging, not tiring.

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,203 of 5,796
Yes for just enjoying and listening to the music rather than listening to the gear or analyzing the music

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,204 of 5,796
As a relative newcomer to Headfi, I have been trying to decide on an amp and or amp/dac for my Utopia headphones.
Is the Sony considered an excellent solution for the Utopias? I think I would prefer solid state as I don't want to deal with tubes but want the best sound quality I can get.

Unfortunately, I have little available locally to audition.

Reading through this discussion, It seems many folks like the Sony.
Appreciate your thoughts.

Uncle Mike

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,205 of 5,796
I'm considering selling my TA-ZH1ES. I am looking for a more analogue/lively sound. The Sony sounds pretty dull with my A8X monitors, and I have been eyeing a Multibit balanced Schiit for years. My source music is almost never DSD, but plenty of hi-res stuff. I have no idea what I am going to use for a HP amp in its place. I have small power requirements, but I want to stay balanced and keep a large soundstage. I am not in love with the idea of tubes, but I have looked into a Mjolnir 2. Any thoughts from you all?

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,206 of 5,796
I'm considering selling my TA-ZH1ES. I am looking for a more analogue/lively sound. The Sony sounds pretty dull with my A8X monitors, and I have been eyeing a Multibit balanced Schiit for years. My source music is almost never DSD, but plenty of hi-res stuff. I have no idea what I am going to use for a HP amp in its place. I have small power requirements, but I want to stay balanced and keep a large soundstage. I am not in love with the idea of tubes, but I have looked into a Mjolnir 2. Any thoughts from you all?

The Holo Spring DAC might be just what you're looking for, and it has R2R ladders for both PCM and DSD. If you don't need DSD it looks like Holo will be releasing a mid-range model that only does PCM and has a built-in headphone amp. Details on the last page of that thread. I had the Spring in house for a month or so and 'analog and lively' is almost exactly how I would describe the sound.

Oct 27, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #1,208 of 5,796
Just ordered the H1. Currently have pha 3 and Z7 with UAPP on my Pixel XL. What can I expect?
Great sound of course. However, the ZH1ES deserves a much better headphones than th Z7. You probably can't go back to the PHA-3 afterward.

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #1,210 of 5,796
Im aware that the Z7 is not on the H1's level. I have to upgrade on piece at a time. H1 vs Pha 3?

As great the PHA3 is, it is still a portable device so space is limited for good parts. The ZH1ES is a solid mid highend DAC/AMP combo and a very good one at that. The jump between the PHA3 to ZH1ES will be substantial in all sonic departments. The ZH1ES's best quality is its very smooth and holographic presentation. Bass is textured and go very deep. The only drawback is that it can be overly smooth and lack dynamic punch some times. Still, it offers a very refined presentation in one very gorgeous package..

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #1,211 of 5,796
Wow! Just wow.

3EB1FF65-C7BB-41E8-9554-7E1841644383.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #1,214 of 5,796
Well, I've got the WM1A and the Z1R arrived today, now all I need is the Signature amp!

A question though - If I connect the TA-ZH1ES to my laptop with USB, can I just use MediaGo to play tracks into the amp without having to go through complex setup procedures?

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,215 of 5,796
Well, I've got the WM1A and the Z1R arrived today, now all I need is the Signature amp!

A question though - If I connect the TA-ZH1ES to my laptop with USB, can I just use MediaGo to play tracks into the amp without having to go through complex setup procedures?
Sure you can use MediaGo. To enhance performance you can choose bit perfect playback from settings. I don't remember where exactly it is but if you can't find it, message me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back