The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 29, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #78 of 5,766
Should be, and it does native DSD and also upconverted anything into DSD
biggrin.gif

That sounds quite interesting. Sony was the first company to upconvert lossy and lossless files into 24-bit tracks, and now they've taken this technology to the next level.
  Does anyone know the Australian release date for this? Or pricing for aus stock

Has Sony ever hinted as to when the amplifier will be released in Asia?

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #79 of 5,766

That sounds quite interesting. Sony was the first company to upconvert lossy and lossless files into 24-bit tracks, and now they've taken this technology to the next level.

Has Sony ever hinted as to when the amplifier will be released in Asia?

Japan is October 29th along with the headphones and Walkmans. Hopefully it will release at the same time as the other products in the rest of Asia too.

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #80 of 5,766
  Does the ampifier do native DSD? I'm considering to buy this amp instead of a WM Walkman. The sound quality should be much better, right? Especially when I use the ZX2 as a digital source.

This amp should also charge the Walkman / Xperia device when using them as transport. Which means it'd be a perfect match for you.

I'm considering this too because a DAC/amp is what fits my needs. Can't be bothered with two blocks(DAC + amp) of metal sitting on top of my desk.

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #81 of 5,766
Review from Hongkong. Surprisingly the reviewer seems to be praising the WM1Z sound quality as it is real value of money

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//unwire.hk/2016/09/30/sony-ta-zh1es/review-2/

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #82 of 5,766
Review from Hongkong. Surprisingly the reviewer seems to be praising the WM1Z sound quality as it is real value of money

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//unwire.hk/2016/09/30/sony-ta-zh1es/review-2/

No they just said WM1Z is a bit too gooey (too warm), when driving the Z1R and WM1A is a bit too neutral.

They also tested Philips Fidelio X2 and Oppo PM3 from the 6.5 and 3.5 unbalanced output and enjoyed them. It'd be very nice of Sony to not cripple the unbalanced output.

It's not an audiophile site so I'd say this is like those Cnet reviews: "this amp is expensive and it sounds good"

At least it's not one of those reviews that suggest ZH1ES is not driving Z1R well... if a co-developed synergy amp is not driving Z1R well then I don't know what will.

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #83 of 5,766
I personally look forward to pairing it with HD800s, the sony own headphone appears to be in lust to be paired with a SABRE based than anything. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #84 of 5,766
  I personally look forward to pairing it with HD800s, the sony own headphone appears to be in lust to be paired with a SABRE based than anything. 

If you have HD800s, you should pair with something else I think.  I can't second ECP audio DSHA-2 high enough.  The ZH1ES is after all likely a companion amplifier to the Z1R so its tonal balanced may not work out with something like the HD800s.

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #85 of 5,766
Does anyone know the Australian release date for this? Or pricing for aus stock?

$2899 for the price in Australia, no eta quite yet but there on order :)

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #86 of 5,766
Couldn't find prices for the UK.

The MDR-Z1R was launched there substantially cheaper than in the other EU countries (around 2000e instead of 2200). So I'm wondering if the same will happen with this amp.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #87 of 5,766
  Couldn't find prices for the UK.

The MDR-Z1R was launched there substantially cheaper than in the other EU countries (around 2000e instead of 2200). So I'm wondering if the same will happen with this amp.

Z1R and ZH1ES bundle costs about 4194 USD in China, and Sony also throws in a MUC-B20SB1(cost about 250USD?) if you order now ;p

Guess we're getting a good deal.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #88 of 5,766
  Z1R and ZH1ES bundle costs about 4194 USD in China, and Sony also throws in a MUC-B20SB1(cost about 250USD?) if you order now ;p

Guess we're getting a good deal.

That's not a bad deal because of the cable.

I got the Z1R for 1900 EUR ($2089) and it was the cheapest I could find. Given the high sales tax in Europe, it's hard to find better.
The TA-ZH1ES I haven't seen on sale yet, but I doubt it will cost less than 2000 at best, so 4090 EUR ($4500) is probably as low as it will go here, with zero freebies.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #89 of 5,766

That's not a bad deal because of the cable.

I got the Z1R for 1900 EUR ($2089) and it was the cheapest I could find. Given the high sales tax in Europe, it's hard to find better.
The TA-ZH1ES I haven't seen on sale yet, but I doubt it will cost less than 2000 at best, so 4090 EUR ($4500) is probably as low as it will go here, with zero freebies.

Yes, electronics are often expensive in Europe given the sales tax situation.

I'm not a big believer in amplifier and DACs, unless we're talking about tube rolling ;p I think most amps are powerful enough for headphones, unless we're talking about electrostatics.

ZH1ES has some nice features that I think makes it future proof: ultra-high sample rate PCM & DSD, DSEE HX, FPGA solution and Frame-beam construction.

Some may say all DSPs are bad, but my UDA-1 does wonders with Youtube videos and other compressed formats, so I welcome the addition of DSEE HX to ToTL DAC/Amp models. Unlike ClearAudio, it doesn't create drastic sound signature changes, and DSEE is hardware based.

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #90 of 5,766

Yes, electronics are often expensive in Europe given the sales tax situation.

I'm not a big believer in amplifier and DACs, unless we're talking about tube rolling ;p I think most amps are powerful enough for headphones, unless we're talking about electrostatics.

ZH1ES has some nice features that I think makes it future proof: ultra-high sample rate PCM & DSD, DSEE HX, FPGA solution and Frame-beam construction.

Some may say all DSPs are bad, but my UDA-1 does wonders with Youtube videos and other compressed formats, so I welcome the addition of DSEE HX to ToTL DAC/Amp models. Unlike ClearAudio, it doesn't create drastic sound signature changes, and DSEE is hardware based.

I somewhat agree with you regarding amplifier/DACs, going beyond the point of diminishing returns is usually not for me. I also add burn-in and [most] cabling to the topic. But those views aren't always popular here, obviously, which is normal, you don't go preach veganism at barbecue restaurant. :)

The TA-ZH1ES seems very well built however and the specs are nice. I can see it being something to age well and like you said be reasonably future-proof. Don't feel like getting one as I just took a hit with the MDR-Z1R, but will definitely keep an eye on it.
Most likely the Z1R are very easy to drive anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back