The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Oct 23, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #91 of 5,760
I'm not really agreeing with what you folks are saying in the thread, being a PHA-3 owner. A good DAC/amp is everything - and it makes headphones way better than they are without amping. This amp is very special, having all kinds of balanced and unbalanced connections, a hybrid amp design, DSD generation on the fly, DSEE HX which is great on the PHA-3... as soon as it is widely available I'm buying. This is something you can have for 10 years. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #93 of 5,760
I agree about the part that it can last for 10 years...hell, even longer than that. However, Upscaling features are all gimmicks, and I down vote it. We need more details and info on the unit by the way

True. Sony's gotta stop with their DSD thing. PCM to DSD creates so much quantization noise... Luckily we can turn that off.

I'm more interested in how the D.A. Hybrid circuit would work and its advantages against traditional designs.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #95 of 5,760
  Now showing available late November, Sony U.K. for £1.649 ( pre-order. )

That's 1843 EUR at today's rate. A bit less than the retail 2000 EUR for most of Europe.
Still a lot of money, at least for my use case, and especially considering how good the MDR-Z1R already sounds with a much cheaper DAC/amp.

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #96 of 5,760
Folks, Do the European Amp units have any issue like Volume Cap etc, like it is for the Walkmans ? Sincerely appreciate response. If the units are same as in the US, Would pick up the unit in Europe on my next trip as the prices seems to be getting better in UK (Due to exchange).

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #97 of 5,760
Folks, Do the European Amp units have any issue like Volume Cap etc, like it is for the Walkmans ? Sincerely appreciate response. If the units are same as in the US, Would pick up the unit in Europe on my next trip as the prices seems to be getting better in UK (Due to exchange).

It is only capped due to the law for portable devices , I don't think this amp is portable device at all

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #98 of 5,760

Hi Whitigir.... Thanks much. That does make sense. Now it is just a matter of finding the reason for the trip 
smile.gif

Funny how things go in life. UK was probably the most expensive and now with the Brexit induced currency moves, has become cheapest ( at least for the stuff we are interested in ).

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #99 of 5,760
Hi Whitigir.... Thanks much. That does make sense. Now it is just a matter of finding the reason for the trip :smile: .

Funny how things go in life. UK was probably the most expensive and now with the Brexit induced currency moves, has become cheapest ( at least for the stuff we are interested in ).

Do pay attention though, UK uses 220-240 V, we are 110-120 in US

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #100 of 5,760

Well pointed. The ZH1ES might be 110-220 due to lack of switch or indications on the back panel, but that's definitely something to check.

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #101 of 5,760

And in the past, it is very region specific in term of voltage.  Knowing Sony love of using R-Core transformer, I doubt that it has a switching PSU inside.

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #102 of 5,760
And in the past, it is very region specific in term of voltage.  Knowing Sony love of using R-Core transformer, I doubt that it has a switching PSU inside.

I also seriously doubt it too, and Sony also will always stick to their regionals thing. Even, pricing is regional as well...lol. I seriously believe the ES Amp will be Regional

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #103 of 5,760

It doesn't. I was reading the spec sheet for Japan and Hong Kong and it says Japan is 100V 50/60Hz only and Hong Kong is 220-240V 50/60Hz. If you live in the states you can safely import a Japanese unit without worrying about voltage differences, but in general it's a hassle without a switching PSU for me and the big reason I ended up giving up on the idea of purchasing one (along with the WM1A). 

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #105 of 5,760
  Why is this thing not widely available yet, anyone know ? Is it not going to hit the mass market ? 

It's widely available in Asian region, but not many people bought it as most went for the Walkmans instead.  Plus obviously Sony is rolling them out in stages. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back