The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Nov 3, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #106 of 5,761
DSEE HX makes a big difference when using a phone with the PHA-3. I never turn it off "Gimmick" or not. 

I can see that with real Hi res on this it would probably not be used. You can't even use it with the PHA-3 when it's in Hi-Res mode. 

But DSD Remastering I am interested in. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #108 of 5,761
   I think it's only available for demo. Actual shipping will happen in December? 

You can definitely buy them in Japan and Hong Kong now. 

EDIT: someone's already sold theirs to the shops
https://twitter.com/janpara_jsb/status/794793708084310016

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #109 of 5,761
Still curious when it will be available in the States.  

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #110 of 5,761
They're now listed at Amazon.co.uk at a painful €1836 in today's brexited exchange rate.
Amazon France and Italy seem confused, listing them for a whopping €3326
Amazon Germany lists the €1999, which if I'm not mistaken is the MSRP. "Dispatched in 1 to 3 months", although the same happened with the Z1R and they shipped a lot sooner Guess they don't have final dates yet.

I was tempted earlier, but considering there's the possibility of having lost the CD3000 sale (still wondering if it is a scam - a dispute is ongoing at PayPal), perhaps it is better to leave the wallet alone. The winds of luck don't seem to be blowing this way at the moment.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #111 of 5,761
  They're now listed at Amazon.co.uk at a painful €1836.
Amazon France and Italy seem confused, listing them for  €3326
Amazon Germany lists the €1999, which if I'm not mistaken is the MSRP. "Dispatched in 1 to 3 months", although the same happened with the Z1R and they shipped a lot earlier. Guess they don't have final dates yet.

I was tempted earlier, but considering there's the possibility of having lost the CD3000 sale (still wondering if it is a scam - a dispute is ongoing at PayPal), perhaps it is better to leave the wallet alone. The winds of luck don't seem to be blowing the right way.

Deweet!

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #112 of 5,761
Hi Folks
can someone from UK please reconfirm what the voltage for the units sold in the UK is. If by any chance it is 110-240, I would like to purchase one right away as the prices in UK are much better than the US.

I checked the sony website and it does mention 220-240V but just in case ....

Sanjay

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #113 of 5,761
Hi Folks
can someone from UK please reconfirm what the voltage for the units sold in the UK is. If by any chance it is 110-240, I would like to purchase one right away as the prices in UK are much better than the US.

I checked the sony website and it does mention 220-240V but just in case ....

Sanjay

Nope, it will be regional as Sony love doing that and it will be 220-240

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #114 of 5,761

Mine has arrived. Will be trying it out later today. Will try out SE846/EX1000/Z1R(Balanced & Unbalanced) on this.

Any feature(non audio quality ones) want to be tested out? I'll see if there are any kinks regarding the DSD Remastering Engine and DSEE HX.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #115 of 5,761

Mine has arrived. Will be trying it out later today. Will try out SE846/EX1000/Z1R(Balanced & Unbalanced) on this.

Any feature(non audio quality ones) want to be tested out? I'll see if there are any kinks regarding the DSD Remastering Engine and DSEE HX.

Any finding at all will help, of course :D

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #116 of 5,761
Any finding at all will help, of course
biggrin.gif

Well the volume knob is click-less like the aperture/iris ring on a cinema lens. Volume level is directly shown on the screen and therefore there's no stop when you've reached infinity. This design is a bit idiosyncratic.

Of course the knob magically rotates when you use the remote : )  Always loved this feature.

The gap on the top is see-through. I can foresee serious problems with dusty environment. I don't know why Sony chose to have the amplifier to be so open. Their S-Master HX is pretty energy efficient. That being said, there's still a Class-A amp circuit inside working as error correction to the Class-D amp, maybe that one can get hot. After running the ZH1ES for a while the top plate is a little warm. Very hard to tell since the chassis metal feels like leather... could be just the tactile feedback tricking my brain.

Buttons don't feel nice. Well... it is Sony that we're talking about and I feel like this is the same button mechanism they used for their Alpha cameras... plasticky and hard to tap.

The menu is huge. You can adjust DSEE HX, DSD Remaster Engine, DC Phase Linearizer and various pre-out, L/R balance settings and such.

And you'll need to download Sony's driver for Windows. Otherwise an easy setup.

Overall this thing looks gorgeous. The build quality is impeccable. The weight is very substantial and my only complaint would be the lackluster button tactility. Did I mention the metal feels like leather? Very nice finish.

I'll need some more time with the amplifier to talk about the sound since... amp improvements are very subtle.

But it's quite noticeable that a balanced Z1R is on a different level from the single ended unbalanced Z1R. Bass is more detailed, this is probably part Z1R and part ZH1ES.

Don't have any other summit-fi headphone lying around so it'd be tricky to test out the pairings...

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #118 of 5,761
Originally Posted by thanatosguan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well the volume knob is click-less like the aperture/iris ring on a cinema lens. Volume level is directly shown on the screen and therefore there's no stop when you've reached infinity. This design is a bit idiosyncratic.

Of course the knob magically rotates when you use the remote : )  Always loved this feature.

The gap on the top is see-through. I can foresee serious problems with dusty environment. I don't know why Sony chose to have the amplifier to be so open. Their S-Master HX is pretty energy efficient. That being said, there's still a Class-A amp circuit inside working as error correction to the Class-D amp, maybe that one can get hot. After running the ZH1ES for a while the top plate is a little warm. Very hard to tell since the chassis metal feels like leather... could be just the tactile feedback tricking my brain.

Buttons don't feel nice. Well... it is Sony that we're talking about and I feel like this is the same button mechanism they used for their Alpha cameras... plasticky and hard to tap.

The menu is huge. You can adjust DSEE HX, DSD Remaster Engine, DC Phase Linearizer and various pre-out, L/R balance settings and such.

Overall this thing looks gorgeous. The build quality is impeccable. The weight is very substantial and my only complaint would be the lackluster button tactility. Did I mention the metal feels like leather? Very nice finish.

I'll need some more time with the amplifier to talk about the sound since... amp improvements are very subtle.

But it's quite noticeable that a balanced Z1R is on a different level from the single ended unbalanced Z1R. Bass is more detailed, this is probably part Z1R and part ZH1ES.

Don't have any other summit-fi headphone lying around so it'd be tricky to test out the pairings...

Does it have EQ setting?

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #119 of 5,761

Do you use android phone as a transporter?

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #120 of 5,761

I'm mostly curious about the behaviour with the Z1R, compared to good mid-fi gear. I've become more and more cable/source agnostic these past years and started hating spending a single $ unless I can hear the difference beyond placebo-range. I'm tempted to try this, but my current cheap stack works fine and well, Sony already ripped me off once with the Z1R pricing (and drop). Don't want to go for the amp unless it is epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back