The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 12, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #61 of 5,761
Oh BTW.... ACUPWR makes some pretty good Step Up/ Down trafos.... My Luxman is made in/ for Japanese market so I bought a 500 watt step down. Small enough to travel here to there, but stout enough that it gives me some peace of mind that a $40 Amazon unit won't provide.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #63 of 5,761
Interested in in this DAP... Especially the amp part. 
How can we have a chance to audit?
Feels it's hard to have a chance in southeastern part.

I am sure Magnolia Hifi will carry it. They have zx2, z7 as well as the HAP-Z1ES and TA-1AES.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #65 of 5,761
After reading up on the architecture of the amp (S-Master), it looks like the analogue input is converted to digital and then back to analog again. Does anyone have experience using an S-Mater equipped amp with analog signals? Wondering what sort of impact this has on sound quality.

I expect the existing DAC in my home system will outperform the Sony so I would use the analog inputs, and I don't really want to deal with different USB DACs for speakers and headphones anyway.

But I still want this amp 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #66 of 5,761
After reading up on the architecture of the amp (S-Master), it looks like the analogue input is converted to digital and then back to analog again. Does anyone have experience using an S-Mater equipped amp with analog signals? Wondering what sort of impact this has on sound quality.

I expect the existing DAC in my home system will outperform the Sony so I would use the analog inputs, and I don't really want to deal with different USB DACs for speakers and headphones anyway.

But I still want this amp :D  

Yes I have and it doesn't sound as good as digital input. I once ran an analog output from my modified Sony dvd-9100es into my STR-DA9000es and it was clearly a step down in term of fidelity compared to digital input. The 9100es does sound quite good by itself though.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #67 of 5,761
Yes I have and it doesn't sound as good as digital input. I once ran an analog input from my modified Sony dvd-9100es into my STR-DA9000es and it was clearly a step down in term of fidelity compared to digital input. The 9100es does sound quite good too.

Thanks for the experiences, Purk.

In another sense, this amp is recommended using as Digital input only ? :D. That would be one function short eh ?

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #68 of 5,761
  Did you mean the Magnolia Home Theater? Any of them works?
I'll be very appreciated if you can send me an address... Seems that we are in the same area.
Thanks!

There are 2 kinds of Best Buy-Magnolia stores.

The more common ones are called Magnolia Home Theater.  They sell mainly mid-fi crap.

Then there are what's called the Magnolia Design Center.  They have all the higher end products, but there are only a few of them around.

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #69 of 5,761

There are 2 kinds of Best Buy-Magnolia stores.

The more common ones are called Magnolia Home Theater.  They sell mainly mid-fi crap.

Then there are what's called the Magnolia Design Center.  They have all the higher end products, but there are only a few of them around.

Thanks for your info! I might visit one of them during the weekend!

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #70 of 5,761
  Thanks for your info! I might visit one of them during the weekend!

The one at Northpoint sure have some nice stuffs.  Go check it out.  The ZX2 & ZX100 and Z7 are there.  They have Mcintosh headphones amp too.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #72 of 5,761

Forgot to repost this from the other threads (sorry folks)...So I've been invited to the Singapore country release event.  I think this will be the last time chance we have to ask the engineers (in this case Mr. Nageno) about these products.  Ladies and gentlemen, time to have your questions answered.  Event will be going on at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Oct 1st, 12PM -5PM.  

PS: For any Singaporean Head-Fi'ers who would like to come (and anyone who can make it), please do PM me!

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #73 of 5,761
  Forgot to repost this from the other threads (sorry folks)...So I've been invited to the Singapore country release event.  I think this will be the last time chance we have to ask the engineers (in this case Mr. Nageno) about these products.  Ladies and gentlemen, time to have your questions answered.  Event will be going on at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Oct 1st, 12PM -5PM. 

OK, my questions. TA-ZH1ES has two USB ports, one at the back (USB-B) and one at the side (microUSB labeled Walkman). And now:
1. Can we use both ports for mobile devices?
2. Can non-Sony Android and iOS mobile devices be connected?
3. Is powered USB hub required for mobile devices?
4. Is OTG cable required for Android devices and CCK cable for iOS devices?
5. Is simultaneous mobile device charging possible from USB port?
Additionaly:
1. Can two pairs of headphones be used at the same time?

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #74 of 5,761
The Shenzen Audio Facebook has some nice pics of this, including a disassembled view:

https://www.facebook.com/audiofans?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

I certainly want to hear more about this unit.

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #75 of 5,761
Does the ampifier do native DSD? I'm considering to buy this amp instead of a WM Walkman. The sound quality should be much better, right? Especially when I use the ZX2 as a digital source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back