The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 1, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 5,761
I thought this is a hybrid digital/analog amp.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 5,761
  It is.  D w/ error correction from an analog A amp.

I assume you mean Class-D and Class-A.

If so, this sounds similar to how the Divialet amplifies work, except in reverse.

Very interesting....
cool.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 5,761
  Correction I'm getting mixed up lemme see.  It's getting really late now lol/

Get some sleep, bro. 
biggrin.gif

Great job so far.  Thanks again.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 5,761
Quote:
  DSD --> DSD remastering engine --> S-Master HX --> Amp section

We're trying to figure out what the S-Master does exactly.

The world may never know....

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #23 of 5,761
S-Master HX

"Sony's digital amplifier technology, uniquely developed for Hi-Resolution Audio to reduce distortion and noise at wider frequency ranges. Because S-Master amplifies digital signals directly – rather than converting them to analogue signals first – it maintains the purity of the original signal for more faithful reproduction." - Sony FAQ

technical deets on the tech pages 4-15
https://docs.sony.com/release/ES_STR_05_Final.pdf

seems to be a digital "gain" stage (or more likely attenuation stage) driving an analogue output stage (mosfet?)

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #26 of 5,761
  It is.   D w/ error correction from an analog A amp.

I don't really understand why you need an analog A amp correction unless you feeding an analog signal.  I have the Audio-Technica DHA-3000.  That amp, released in 2002, is a pure digital headphone amplifier.  It is a great look unit too.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #27 of 5,761
  I don't really understand why you need an analog A amp correction unless you feeding an analog signal.  I have the Audio-Technica DHA-3000.  That amp, released in 2002, is a pure digital headphone amplifier.  It is a great look unit too.

Let me try and pull up the diagram later...

On a related note, here's our technical interview.

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #29 of 5,761
From sony china the close up images show an Altera cyclone IV FPGA, and two analog device ADSP 21488, seems the S master HX and DSD remaster engine are implemented in the FPGA that also handle the decode of source audio format, and the DSP handle further audio processing. Chord also used FPGA to implement their own decoder in mojo, which also have no on the shelf DAC chips on board.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #30 of 5,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back