The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #1,441 of 5,761
Hi folks, can anyone comment on using this seemingly awesome Sony unit with sensitive IEMs around 10ohms? I can't seem to find the output inpedance spec and the Headfonia review mentioned some "hiss." Maybe on the Shure SE846 or something, but this should be virtually black background with balanced IEMs at 10+ ohms right?

Really looking to consolidate and if I get this, my huge Audio-GD Master-11 can go to a better home.

-Collin-

No hiss with my SE846. Not sure about the output impedance, but the bass on the SE846 is without question several dB greater than it is out of most of my other devices with known <1 output impedance. That's usually my indication of a high(er) output impedance with the SE846, but it could just be the signature of the amp.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,442 of 5,761
Hi folks, can anyone comment on using this seemingly awesome Sony unit with sensitive IEMs around 10ohms? I can't seem to find the output inpedance spec and the Headfonia review mentioned some "hiss." Maybe on the Shure SE846 or something, but this should be virtually black background with balanced IEMs at 10+ ohms right?

Really looking to consolidate and if I get this, my huge Audio-GD Master-11 can go to a better home.

-Collin-
Dead silent with Campfire Andromeda (12.8 Ohms).

Others have had an issue with hiss when using them with other DAPs/AMPs.

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,443 of 5,761
That's great news on the silent noise floor! I went ahead and ordered one to replace three of my other DAC/amps :) Can't wait! Thank you folks for the help.

-Collin-

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,444 of 5,761
So I've had only a day with the Sony, but I love it. First, the packaging, wow. I forgot that when Sony pulls out the stops and puts their mind to their premium product line, they're capable of QUITE high standards and luxury. You can tell the build quality on this thing is shooting for the moon and the accessories, packaging, design, all match. It's so easy to use, had it up and running in 10 minutes or less and it works as expected.

Sound is special. It's so refined, so controlled, but not "boring." I wouldn't call it a totally uncolored sound, but it is incredibly clean. Very easy sound to love, no complaints whatsoever. I'm using DSEE HX in "standard" mode, Phase Linear-thingy-flux-capacitor off and I think DSD upsampling is off because I cannot hear a difference with it on.

The only thing I guess I'm less than thrilled with is running it at -25dB in low gain mode for nearly all my IEMs. It's dead silent in the background and very clean sound, but I didn't expect to need 75% of the volume on IEMs. It's not quite as powerful as I thought, but I haven't had to use high-gain so I don't think it matters. Can't wait for my 4.4mm cables to arrive, but for now using the 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter all is well. I think I have finally found the small footprint "all in one" desktop device I have been in search of.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180715103419303_COVER.jpg

-Collin-

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,445 of 5,761
So I've had only a day with the Sony, but I love it. First, the packaging, wow. I forgot that when Sony pulls out the stops and puts their mind to their premium product line, they're capable of QUITE high standards and luxury. You can tell the build quality on this thing is shooting for the moon and the accessories, packaging, design, all match. It's so easy to use, had it up and running in 10 minutes or less and it works as expected.

Sound is special. It's so refined, so controlled, but not "boring." I wouldn't call it a totally uncolored sound, but it is incredibly clean. Very easy sound to love, no complaints whatsoever. I'm using DSEE HX in "standard" mode, Phase Linear-thingy-flux-capacitor off and I think DSD upsampling is off because I cannot hear a difference with it on.

The only thing I guess I'm less than thrilled with is running it at -25dB in low gain mode for nearly all my IEMs. It's dead silent in the background and very clean sound, but I didn't expect to need 75% of the volume on IEMs. It's not quite as powerful as I thought, but I haven't had to use high-gain so I don't think it matters. Can't wait for my 4.4mm cables to arrive, but for now using the 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter all is well. I think I have finally found the small footprint "all in one" desktop device I have been in search of.

-Collin-

I've noticed that my volume settings are very similar even for headphones of very different sensitivities.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #1,447 of 5,761
I experience the same thing.
Even the unbalanced 6.3 mm output, which is listed with lower power output than the balanced ones, the volume setting is pretty much the same.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,449 of 5,761
Kimber AXIOS-Cu

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #1,451 of 5,761
If you want any all silver cable and can afford it the AXIOS-Ag is supposed to be awesome but so is it's price, $3,100 for a 4 foot cable!

I prefer the AXIOS-Ag as it improved the bass and mid-range without sacrificing any of the high end.

Listening to the Z1R with AXIOS-Cu on the ZH1ES is like listening to a great pair of speakers. It's so easy to get lost in the sound.

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #1,452 of 5,761

-Collin-

Hi there, are you continuing to be impressed ? I've been considering to buy for a long time. I just wish the price would come down a little more.

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,453 of 5,761
Hi there, are you continuing to be impressed ? I've been considering to buy for a long time. I just wish the price would come down a little more.

Definitely impressed and now my mind is at ease with the volume/power issue of having to crank it up. Sounds like a fine tuned cohesive sound, no complaints. I might be a Sony fan boy now, I bought a PHA-2A for work!

-Collin-

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,454 of 5,761
Definitely impressed and now my mind is at ease with the volume/power issue of having to crank it up. Sounds like a fine tuned cohesive sound, no complaints. I might be a Sony fan boy now, I bought a PHA-2A for work!

-Collin-

Thanks for your further feedback. I assume you have a Sony Hi Res Walkman ? If so, how would you compare any improvement in sound, connected to the TA ? Is it a "night & day" impression ?

( I have a Sony ZX2....which i love, using TRRS. )

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,455 of 5,761
Thanks for your further feedback. I assume you have a Sony Hi Res Walkman ? If so, how would you compare any improvement in sound, connected to the TA ? Is it a "night & day" impression ?

( I have a Sony ZX2....which i love, using TRRS. )

No hi-res Walkman here, sorry. I only use Tidal and Sony refuses to put any effort whatsoever into the Android DAPs and make them work with Tidal :frowning2:

Okay I guess I am not a Sony fanboy after all LOL

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back