The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 10, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #1,411 of 5,760
In a few months I plan an upgrade: Sony WM1Z or Sony TA-ZH1ES. At the Moment I have Sony WM1A + Sennheiser HD800S balanced! Does WM1a + TA more improvement than WM1Z direct to Sennheiser? Thanks for help

May 11, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #1,412 of 5,760
Windows 10 detects a suitable audio device and loads its own drivers for it. From Microsoft "The driver is automatically enabled when a compatible device is attached to the system. However, if a third-party driver exists on the system or Windows Update, that driver will be installed and override the class driver." I'm not sure if he MS class driver can support something like DSD512

So the trick is to connect the TA-ZH1ES and let Windows load the drivers itself, then install the Sony ASIO drivers. The Sony ASIO drivers will have to be reinstalled if Windows update decides to override that setting. Maybe Microsoft will get it right one day. An alternative is to use Win2016, where the class drivers are not installed.

For Win 2016 installs, use the Windows compatibility checker for Win 8 and it will install no problems. The ASIO driver is far preferable to the WASAPI driver rolled into Windows.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,415 of 5,760
I've been thinking of buying this since it came out, but there doesn't appear to be any price drops anymore ? ( Not that i've noticed many ! ) I think the lowest price i saw was £1.400 + not too long after it was released.
Hi! I bought mine in a spanish local store: http://www.supersonido.es/p/sony-tazh1es. It's a relly good price!

May 21, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1,417 of 5,760
DSC09072.jpg
Could anyone help me point where I can buy the usb cable connecting walkman and TA-ZH1ES as shown in the pic?

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,418 of 5,760
Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've been reading reviews about the TA-ZH1ES and am interested. Wondering though if anyone can chime in on the performance of the DAC-section when connected via RCA to a stereo amp. I'm looking to upgrade my IFI IDSD Micro and most of my listening is done through my speakers (Dynaudio Emit 10) but I wouldn't mind the excellent headphone amp. I am also considering the Chord Qutest which I presume would be a better dac, but has no headphone amp. Is the DAC in the TA-ZH1ES is a significant improvement over the IFI IDSD Micro and have you maybe compared it to other DACS you have for listening through speakers? Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,420 of 5,760
Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've been reading reviews about the TA-ZH1ES and am interested. Wondering though if anyone can chime in on the performance of the DAC-section when connected via RCA to a stereo amp. I'm looking to upgrade my IFI IDSD Micro and most of my listening is done through my speakers (Dynaudio Emit 10) but I wouldn't mind the excellent headphone amp. I am also considering the Chord Qutest which I presume would be a better dac, but has no headphone amp. Is the DAC in the TA-ZH1ES is a significant improvement over the IFI IDSD Micro and have you maybe compared it to other DACS you have for listening through speakers? Thanks in advance for your replies :)

I recently compared the micro dsd black with the zh1es - the sony is a massive improvement, so much so I won't even look at the micro again. The sony has a smooth,analogue, wide and super low distortion sound - it's amazing. Also beats similarly priced chord DACs which I find a bit clinical sounding. the sony has a romantic sound, like a good vinyl setup - if this is your cup of tea then highly recommended.. although I would also consider the woo audio wa8 then - has anyone had a chance to compare the two?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,421 of 5,760
Hi Folks,

After a few weeks listening to the Sony as a DAC using the preout, theres a niggly low level distortion that I can’t remove. The USB chain consists of two ifi micro usb and Icron ranger extender, and on a regular DAC , MPD-3, the distortion is not there.

Maybe the USB chain needs something different, but am unwilling to try at this stage. Maybe the pre out is the culprit.

For now, the Sony’s input is the analog RCA from the preamp to balanced HD800s and in this role the Sony does very well indeed.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #1,422 of 5,760
Thank you One and a Half and Emilsoft for your feedback. I will probably order later today. I`ve read quite few reviews about the TA-ZH1ES but have not come across the niggly low lever distortion mentioned so I am assuming it`s not a common problem. I have heard some other Sony Signature stuff at the Sony store and was well impressed; Emilsoft, the sound you describe sounds just what I heard and exactly what I`m after. I will not have the TA in my main system for another six weeks as I will be traveling but looking forward to using it as a headphone amp in the meantime.

Thanks again for your feedback :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #1,423 of 5,760
I am also thinking getting Sony TA-ZH1ES for my desktop setup. Anyone else tried using with Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered CIEM?? is there any hissing sound?? Cos from time to time, i like switching between headphone and IEM with my desktop setup.. So far my current desktop amp/DAC, M9XX, has no issues with both headphone and IEM.

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,424 of 5,760
Can someone please explain (or point to a link that does) how you connect the dock to the TA? I've been searching and can't find which connections and what cable I need. I'll be using my WM1A and Z1R with TA when they get here.

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,425 of 5,760
Can someone please explain (or point to a link that does) how you connect the dock to the TA? I've been searching and can't find which connections and what cable I need. I'll be using my WM1A and Z1R with TA when they get here.

Standard A-B usb cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back