The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jul 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,458 of 5,761
If anyone is interested, I am currently selling my beloved TA-ZH1ES headphone amplifier over in the Amplification for Sale/Trade forum. Might be especially interesting
for potential buyers in Europe. Hope it is ok that I post this here.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,461 of 5,761
I listened a little too loud for a little too long to music with headphones, which is why I now have a tiny tinnitus in my right ear (nothing dramatic, though). That is why I simply switch from headphones to speakers. I really enjoyed this amplifier with my Fostex TH900.

Sorry to hear that. I have it a little, when i'm aware of it. I'll have to try & be more sensible with my listening volumes, when i receive my TA. No doubt, i'll be cranking it up !! ?

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #1,463 of 5,761
Can anyone tell me if the ZH1ES works in balanced mode when one uses the line in jacks?

It is balanced if you use a balanced headphone and single ended if you use a single ended headphone.

The analog line in signal is immediately converted to digital.

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,465 of 5,761
Received my TA-ZH1ES earlier this evening. I've connected my Sony ZX2 Walkman. At first i thought, i prefer the sound signature of my Walkman, on it's own, but after some concentrated listening, i'm loving it. Not at all fatigueing or distortion, just crystal clear. ( & i'm not using balanced or listening to DSD. )
Talking of balanced headphone connection, excuse my ignorance, but am i right in assuming that my TRRS cable has to be plugged into unbalanced connection ?

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,467 of 5,761
Could someone kindly explain how i use pre out on the TA please. What can i actually do with it ? I want to get sound to speakers. Sorry for my ignorance !

The pre-out can be a fixed output for connection to a preamp or integrated amp, like any standard DAC. You can also set it to be controlled by the TA's internal volume control for conmection to a power amp or active speakers.

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,468 of 5,761
The pre-out can be a fixed output for connection to a preamp or integrated amp, like any standard DAC. You can also set it to be controlled by the TA's internal volume control for conmection to a power amp or active speakers.

And it needs to be actively enabled in the menu for it to be available as an output

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #1,469 of 5,761

And it needs to be actively enabled in the menu for it to be available as an output

Thanks for replies, guys. Excuse my ignorance, it's embarrassing !!....but a pre-amp, or integrated amp, is not a bog standard, AVR ? ( I've got a Sony STR-DN1080 amp.

What i'm trying to figure out is ( & i'm not even sure myself, at this point ! ? ) how can i make more use of the TA, other than using it as an headphone amp, i.e. sound through speakers, connected to a source ?

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #1,470 of 5,761
Thanks for replies, guys. Excuse my ignorance, it's embarrassing !!....but a pre-amp, or integrated amp, is not a bog standard, AVR ? ( I've got a Sony STR-DN1080 amp.

What i'm trying to figure out is ( & i'm not even sure myself, at this point ! ? ) how can i make more use of the TA, other than using it as an headphone amp, i.e. sound through speakers, connected to a source ?

The main point of the pre out (or line out) is when you use the Sony as a dac from a pc or other digital source and want to get the sound via a power amp to speakers (or directly to powered speakers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back