The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 16, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #4,801 of 5,761
May 16, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #4,802 of 5,761
I use the optical connection. My TV only seems to do SBC but my Nvidia Shield does LDAC. I bought the last of the original BTA30 before the Pro version was released as covid and shipping was going to push the prices up, I don't know in real world use what the differences are.
I didn't want to spend a lot of money so it was a great low price option, my next choice would have been the iFi one but I actually prefer the smaller size of the Fiio.
Which iFi one is this? The iFi Zen Blue?

May 16, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #4,803 of 5,761
I swear I feel the TA is so underrated and not appreciated enough. Nice to see this thread shows that there's lots of love for it.

May 16, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #4,804 of 5,761
I swear I feel the TA is so underrated and not appreciated enough. Nice to see this thread shows that there's lots of love for it.
Indeed… I am a bit late in the game but I am happy to have time now to look at this. And, fingers crossed, get to own a TAZ as well. :)

May 16, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #4,806 of 5,761
Congrats, I wish I could get a new TAZ as you did. I really wanted to fly to Singapore to order one.
Thanks! It was very much fortuitous. I am not sure where you are based, but I suspect that Sony is making one last push to run down the stock of the TAZ. Hence, it suddenly reappeared in its online store in Singapore after being out of stock for more than a year. So, you might want to keep your eye out that the local Sony may also offer the TAZ.

May 16, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #4,807 of 5,761
To be honest I have been a bit lazy to research the best method - my Nvidia Shield outputs LLDAC so I think I'm not losing anything using optical? It also has coax and line out.
As I have only used with movies I'm satisfied with the results but couldn't give you a critical opinion of the quality with music and if I could achieve better with the different outputs. When I have some time I can try some music but as I don't stream I might not be able to compare to other methods. The TA does such a good job I think you wouldn't be disappointed. Before I got the BTA30 I tried my BTR5 using the 3.5mm output into the TA and it still sounded decent.
Thank, just so we're on the same page, if I connect the BTA30 to the Taz via optical/coax, and send music to the BTA30 via LDAC, it will pass that through 'bitperfect' to the Taz via digital input, and the music will output from the Taz? The BTA30 won't do any digital processing itself? If so, that's a very workable solution...

May 16, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #4,808 of 5,761
Thanks! It was very much fortuitous. I am not sure where you are based, but I suspect that Sony is making one last push to run down the stock of the TAZ. Hence, it suddenly reappeared in its online store in Singapore after being out of stock for more than a year. So, you might want to keep your eye out that the local Sony may also offer the TAZ.
I may ask my friend who lives in SG & gets me one and let him keep it till my visit.......but I don't have a plan to travel there in the coming 6-9 months. It is really a rare opportunity and I don't want to miss the boat.

May 16, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #4,809 of 5,761
Indeed… I am a bit late in the game but I am happy to have time now to look at this. And, fingers crossed, get to own a TAZ as well. :)
I felt minor regret thinking I should have gotten the DMP-Z1. Then I see a bunch of people sell it off and I’m not active in the thread or the site for a couple of weeks and realized, I didn’t think about getting the DMP. From a practical standpoint, I just use mostly the 1Z/1A with my TA and wireless music is for my iPhone and A55. The damping factor in the TA is legit with the MDR-Z1R

May 16, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #4,810 of 5,761
I felt minor regret thinking I should have gotten the DMP-Z1. Then I see a bunch of people sell it off and I’m not active in the thread or the site for a couple of weeks and realized, I didn’t think about getting the DMP. From a practical standpoint, I just use mostly the 1Z/1A with my TA and wireless music is for my iPhone and A55. The damping factor in the TA is legit with the MDR-Z1R
That is true. I suspect in part it is due to the 1ZM2. I actually took over the DMP from someone who had it for a while. It is something else that is not easy here to get our hands on. Any regrets? No. Cos it is another special project from the Sony engineers. I use the DMP running the 2 microSD cards, streaming via LDAC as well as USB DAC to my Melco NAS as a Roon end point.

I have come to the conclusion for house sound, I do very much enjoy the Sony sound signature. The two other main makes I enjoy very much are Luxury & Precision and Shanling. I think with these pre-Android Sony products, at least I will not have to worry about whether they will be left behind by the new android versions. The TAZ and the DMP have their place in my desktop rig. :)

May 16, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #4,811 of 5,761
I think with these pre-Android Sony products, at least I will not have to worry about whether they will be left behind by the new android versions.
This is one of the reasons I decided to go all-in on the S-Master Signature Series players. I can now sit back and enjoy them for a good few years without ever having to worry about redundancy creeping in. If someone can figure out how to enable LDAC input during USB out for the WM1Z, it's be a virtually flawless system for my use case and sound preferences (paired with the Z1R twins).

May 16, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #4,812 of 5,761
That is true. I suspect in part it is due to the 1ZM2. I actually took over the DMP from someone who had it for a while. It is something else that is not easy here to get our hands on. Any regrets? No. Cos it is another special project from the Sony engineers. I use the DMP running the 2 microSD cards, streaming via LDAC as well as USB DAC to my Melco NAS as a Roon end point.

I have come to the conclusion for house sound, I do very much enjoy the Sony sound signature. The two other main makes I enjoy very much are Luxury & Precision and Shanling. I think with these pre-Android Sony products, at least I will not have to worry about whether they will be left behind by the new android versions. The TAZ and the DMP have their place in my desktop rig. :)
Oh do you mean if I have the TA the DMP isn’t quite a necessity?

May 16, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #4,813 of 5,761
Oh do you mean if I have the TA the DMP isn’t quite a necessity?
Haha! Not at all! I think each is built for different purposes. I have no intention of letting my DMP go, even when the TAZ comes In. Same reason why I will still have my original 1A and 1Z DAPs.

May 16, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #4,814 of 5,761
This is one of the reasons I decided to go all-in on the S-Master Signature Series players. I can now sit back and enjoy them for a good few years without ever having to worry about redundancy creeping in. If someone can figure out how to enable LDAC input during USB out for the WM1Z, it's be a virtually flawless system for my use case and sound preferences (paired with the Z1R twins).
Indeed. In the meantime i shall explore the FiiO BTA30 Pro and the iFi Blue v2. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back