The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 16, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #4,786 of 5,761
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/kiats.340584/

It’s unique maybe? But one of the coolest pieces I have had the opportunity to obtain. Simply sounds great and offers a lot for what it is. Somehow it plays every IEM and headphones great? Also I use the cradle 1A/1Z combo to send files to it with the AQCarbon USB. It offers a silky smooth window into my music.........never letting me down with every input and output imaginable. I leave DSD Remastering, Phase Linearizer and DSEE HX on all the time.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #4,787 of 5,761
Thanks! I am really looking forward to Sony Singapore sending me one of the last TA-ZH1ES. If it needs a week or so, I suspect it will be stock from Sony Japan itself. I am just glad that I managed to secure one. Fingers crossed until it arrives. :)
Congrats mate, holding thumbs for you! The only (small) issue I have is not with the Taz, but with the WM1Z, which won't allow me to input LDAC while it's connected to the Taz, so I can't 'stream' to it from my phone. It's a shame, because now I need to hook up my phone to the Taz if I want to use streaming with it. Such a small tweak would have made a huge usability difference for me. The other option is to buy an external streamer and connect it to the Taz, but I'd really prefer not to do that. #simpleisbest

May 16, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #4,788 of 5,761
Congrats mate, holding thumbs for you! The only (small) issue I have is not with the Taz, but with the WM1Z, which won't allow me to input LDAC while it's connected to the Taz, so I can't 'stream' to it from my phone. It's a shame, because now I need to hook up my phone to the Taz if I want to use streaming with it. Such a small tweak would have made a huge usability difference for me. The other option is to buy an external streamer and connect it to the Taz, but I'd really prefer not to do that. #simpleisbest
Not quite decided how I am going to use it as yet. I suspect one way is to have it as a USB DAC from the MacMini. Because it would be such a shame not to use the Sony DAC. :)

May 16, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #4,789 of 5,761
Not quite decided how I am going to use it as yet. I suspect one way is to have it as a USB DAC from the MacMini. Because it would be such a shame not to use the Sony DAC. :)
I use mine with an Auralic Aries Mini streamer (with a build in 4TB ssd and integrated Tidal client) connected via usb and an optical connection from my TV

May 16, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #4,790 of 5,761
I don't stream music so never considered bluetooth but realised I could take advantage of the TA's fine sound qualities for movies. I too prefer a simple all in one set up and was disappointed I couldn't output the streamed LDAC to the TA using the 1Z. I got myself a Fiio BTA30 which was one of lowest priced options and it does a fine job, perhaps a step up might be the iFi version.

May 16, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #4,791 of 5,761
I don't stream music so never considered bluetooth but realised I could take advantage of the TA's fine sound qualities for movies. I too prefer a simple all in one set up and was disappointed I couldn't output the streamed LDAC to the TA using the 1Z. I got myself a Fiio BTA30 which was one of lowest priced options and it does a fine job, perhaps a step up might be the iFi version.
Was thinking of this. How do you have them connected? And how's the quality?

May 16, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #4,792 of 5,761
Was thinking of this. How do you have them connected? And how's the quality?
To be honest I have been a bit lazy to research the best method - my Nvidia Shield outputs LLDAC so I think I'm not losing anything using optical? It also has coax and line out.
As I have only used with movies I'm satisfied with the results but couldn't give you a critical opinion of the quality with music and if I could achieve better with the different outputs. When I have some time I can try some music but as I don't stream I might not be able to compare to other methods. The TA does such a good job I think you wouldn't be disappointed. Before I got the BTA30 I tried my BTR5 using the 3.5mm output into the TA and it still sounded decent.

May 16, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #4,793 of 5,761
I use mine with an Auralic Aries Mini streamer (with a build in 4TB ssd and integrated Tidal client) connected via usb and an optical connection from my TV
I used to use the Auralic Aries. And then Tidal stopped working on the Aries. Does it work again? Anyway, the reason I started using the MacMini was as a Roon Core. Which does the same thing: my music in my Melco NAS and tidal. Alternative for me is to connect thru the the Melco NAS which is Roon Ready. But I already use that to stream Roon into the DMP. 🙊 You can tell it is getting a wee bit crowded around here. :)

May 16, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #4,794 of 5,761
To be honest I have been a bit lazy to research the best method - my Nvidia Shield outputs LLDAC so I think I'm not losing anything using optical? It also has coax and line out.
As I have only used with movies I'm satisfied with the results but couldn't give you a critical opinion of the quality with music and if I could achieve better with the different outputs. When I have some time I can try some music but as I don't stream I might not be able to compare to other methods. The TA does such a good job I think you wouldn't be disappointed. Before I got the BTA30 I tried my BTR5 using the 3.5mm output into the TA and it still sounded decent.
Fascinating! So, the BTA30 works well and its with BT LDAC? How do you connect from the BTA30 into the TAZ? I see there is even a BTA30 Pro now… :)

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #4,795 of 5,761
Fascinating! So, the BTA30 works well and its with BT LDAC? How do you connect from the BTA30 into the TAZ? I see there is even a BTA30 Pro now… :)
Using COAX.

I connect my TA-ZH1ES using an COAX cable directly to my Bluray Player which i also use for YouTube, Prime Video and so on.

You have to remember that the TA-ZH1ES is from 2016, i think the use case for streaming with LDAC was tiny as Bluetooth Sender/Receiver were very very rare and pretty much exclusively from Sony.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #4,796 of 5,761
I used to use the Auralic Aries. And then Tidal stopped working on the Aries. Does it work again? Anyway, the reason I started using the MacMini was as a Roon Core. Which does the same thing: my music in my Melco NAS and tidal. Alternative for me is to connect thru the the Melco NAS which is Roon Ready. But I already use that to stream Roon into the DMP. 🙊 You can tell it is getting a wee bit crowded around here. :)
Yes for some time over 50% of Tidal tracks would not play through the Aries but it seems to work again now, the last week I’ve been playing several Tidal albums with no problems

May 16, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #4,797 of 5,761
But i would love to Stream to the TA-ZH1ES directly from my Notebook via LDAC, that'd be awesome. Right now i always have to use the USB Cable which is okay too but way less comfortable.

So if there is going to be an successor, i hope it will have LDAC

May 16, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #4,798 of 5,761
I use the optical connection. My TV only seems to do SBC but my Nvidia Shield does LDAC. I bought the last of the original BTA30 before the Pro version was released as covid and shipping was going to push the prices up, I don't know in real world use what the differences are.
I didn't want to spend a lot of money so it was a great low price option, my next choice would have been the iFi one but I actually prefer the smaller size of the Fiio.

May 16, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #4,799 of 5,761
Yes for some time over 50% of Tidal tracks would not play through the Aries but it seems to work again now, the last week I’ve been playing several Tidal albums with no problems
Nice! With software unfolding of MQA and all?

May 16, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #4,800 of 5,761
But i would love to Stream to the TA-ZH1ES directly from my Notebook via LDAC, that'd be awesome. Right now i always have to use the USB Cable which is okay too but way less comfortable.

So if there is going to be an successor, i hope it will have LDAC
Looking at the DMP, I think that would be likely. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back