The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 20, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #2,371 of 5,761
My only experience of totally maxing out the TA and still lacking both power and control was when I first got it with HE-6 but then that was no surprise

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,372 of 5,761
I think you're right. No proper test yet, but I don't recall the HD600 sounding this good before. If nothing else, the TA will be a nice experiment in "audiophile psychology". :)

I've had a TA for a few months, primarily using it with my IER-Z1R. Out of curiousity I plugged in an pair of HD598s which I used on an older integrated amp. On the TA's high gain, the 598s really opened up with a nice wow factor. Really enjoying the broad sound staging and smooth delivery of the TA.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,373 of 5,761
Since buying my Sony MDR-Z1R's i haven't really been using my Sony 1AM2's with my TA & i thought i'd go back to them for awhile & i'm enjoying them so much ! I think they sound great, a little bass heavy, but i don't mind that. I think they're great value, for the price too. ( I bought mine nearly two years ago, for £150. )
I won't be giving up on my Z1R's, of course !

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #2,374 of 5,761
Hello all!
I’m thinking of adding a TA to my setup, which in this case consists of a MacBook Pro, WM1Z and MDR Z1R.
I have been using the WM1Z as a DAC and it’s been great. However, of course , I am looking at the TA to step it up a bit.
Could any WM1 series/TA and MDRZ1R owners chime in on how much of a change there would be ?
Thanks in advance!

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #2,375 of 5,761
Hello all!
I’m thinking of adding a TA to my setup, which in this case consists of a MacBook Pro, WM1Z and MDR Z1R.
I have been using the WM1Z as a DAC and it’s been great. However, of course , I am looking at the TA to step it up a bit.
Could any WM1 series/TA and MDRZ1R owners chime in on how much of a change there would be ?
Thanks in advance!

It’s the last smidge of quality which is actually there but maybe quantifiable to 10% more? Though this may depend on someone’s hearing as well as how much volume they use. The 1Z can only go so far, especially with full-size headphones. It’s the TA DSD upsampling and extra damping factor over the 1Z. To me there was more of a difference with the 1Z having a treble boost, though after updating the TA firmware to 1.03 it became a tad brighter which I felt was great. The other aspects that add to the quality upgrade is a blackness of background and slight wider soundstage and added imaging.

Obviously there will be soundstage differences, but the greatest change for me happens in the lower midrange and bass department. The TA gets everything to a better pace and clarity which adds PRaT. IMO

It’s all how important that last 10% is worth, as to some it’s priceless then there of course is getting the DMP-Z1...........which I can guess is again another level.

You can experiment but some of us felt using the 1Z as a source was better than a laptop. If you do notice (it’s better sounding than a laptop)......using your 1Z connected to the TA with the side connection; then there is always the Cradle and AQCarbon upgrade.

The funny part about the extra 10% is that if you really do focus on it, it seems to get bigger?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #2,376 of 5,761
It’s the last smidge of quality which is actually there but maybe quantifiable to 10% more? Though this may depend on someone’s hearing as well as how much volume they use. The 1Z can only go so far, especially with full-size headphones. It’s the TA DSD upsampling and extra damping factor over the 1Z. To me there was more of a difference with the 1Z having a treble boost, though after updating the TA firmware to 1.03 it became a tad brighter which I felt was great. The other aspects that add to the quality upgrade is a blackness of background and slight wider soundstage and added imaging.

Obviously there will be soundstage differences, but the greatest change for me happens in the lower midrange and bass department. The TA gets everything to a better pace and clarity which adds PRaT. IMO

It’s all how important that last 10% is worth, as to some it’s priceless then there of course is getting the DMP-Z1...........which I can guess is again another level.
I'm not ready to comment on the TA myself, but I just want to point out that 10% is not "a smidge" by most people's definition. If you were 10% taller, people would notice. :)

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #2,377 of 5,761
I'm not ready to comment on the TA myself, but I just want to point out that 10% is not "a smidge" by most people's definition. If you were 10% taller, people would notice. :)

That’s the crazy part of audiophiledom where there is a side like gambling; where your brain asks curiosity questions. What if? How about? If I could? And at how much money?

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #2,378 of 5,761
Hello all!
Thanks in advance!

I have the Sony ZX300 & a Sony ZX2 Walkman....i do & have used them, but my main use is the Sony HAP-S1 player, which sounds excellent & what isn't highlighted enough about the TA, is the use of "pre-out" for speaker listening. For me, this is enough reason alone to purchase the TA, alone. ( Obviously, you can also have your Walkman's through pre-out too. )

Of course, i love the MDR - Z1R usage too. ( I've only tried laptop usuage once, very briefly, so can't really comment on that, but i'm sure it sounded fine. )

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a TA, it's so versatile....even though i'd love to hear a DMP-Z1 !.....wouldn't we ALL !!

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,382 of 5,761

Congratulations.

There are some funny little things I like about the TA, other than the sound. There are LED lights that are on inside that are simply part of the operation process way down inside the on the circuit board. Just being able to look inside when all the room lights are off and see them is cool. Also the RCA connects (even though I don’t use them) are built like a tank. I’ve never seen as nice RCA connections in 40 years of audio?

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #2,383 of 5,761
Congratulations.

There are some funny little things I like about the TA, other than the sound. There are LED lights that are on inside that are simply part of the operation process way down inside the on the circuit board. Just being able to look inside when all the room lights are off and see them is cool.

I've never noticed that.....must look tonight.....perhaps i'll think "ALIENS" have landed ! lol ( You really MUST use your RCA's ! ?? )

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #2,384 of 5,761
I've never noticed that.....must look tonight.....perhaps i'll think "ALIENS" have landed ! lol ( You really MUST use your RCA's ! ?? )

The LED IS green, and I did guess that maybe not everyone knows. It’s at about a 45 degree angle looking inside from the right side......and you need total room darkness to see em. :)

Must have been over a year till I noticed them.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #2,385 of 5,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back