The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #289 of 11,341
http://www.precious-piece.com/products/products_sizing.html

Architectural and industrial washi has long been available in water/humidity repellent form, and like paper cones in loudspeakers, they last. (my pair of jbl monitors were inherited from my grand dad, he bought them in the late 60s, tweeters, midranges, woofers, all made of paper, lasted 5 relocations, from Asia to North America now back in Asia).

Washi in audio applications
http://rincrossing.smrj.go.jp/en/story/story48.php

Washi uses long interlaced fibre and is closer to papyrus than it is to photocopy paper. Washi has been used to make clothes, reusable plates, architectural screens etc.

http://www.aisf.or.jp/%7Ejaanus/deta/w/washi.htm

good to know. i'm also wondering how resilient the design will be overall. hopefully, the mesh covering the paper filters will be able to withstand the pressure and bumps that can occur with handling without becoming misshapen.

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #291 of 11,341
To the person who stated he can now listen to SACDs, you could have done that with the QUALIA010 120 kHz and SA5000 110 kHz back in the day.

Sorry about your wallet.
Happy listening!

Too true, and I am gladly to have SA5000 in my collection. It has similar paper cups and frequency up to 100,000 kHz as well as the Nano composite drivers

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #294 of 11,341
In the right corner beryllium and in the left corner washi paper. We want a fair fight, no hitting below the belt, come out of your corners fighting.

Now while the exotic mineral from France looks on the surface to have the advantage in toughness the bigger transducer from Japan has his opponent in reach. Should be an interesting match up.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #295 of 11,341
Well, I just placed a Pre-Order on this, saw them with around -10% off the MSRP (Europe).
Delivery date listed is October 10th, pretty much five weeks away.

Not my thing to order without listening, especially at these prices, but I have some hopes that it will allow me to finally move on from the CD3K.
Also, it's possible to cancel the preorder (and even return them) so the risk isn't that high. Not that I think Sony might have a lemon here, but...

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #296 of 11,341
Just want someone to tell me who to give my money to, Sony or Focal.

Thanks

Sorry bout me wallet

Welcome to head-fi

PS...these look good too, also coming from Sony....

1000X Noise Cancelling Bluetooth® Headphones

MDR-1000X

....but that is for an entirely different thread.

Looks like Sony has awakened and is battling for all fronts.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #297 of 11,341
  Well, I just placed a Pre-Order on this, saw them with around -10% off the MSRP (Europe).
Delivery date listed is October 10th, pretty much five weeks away.

Not my thing to order without listening, especially at these prices, but I have some hopes that it will allow me to finally move on from the CD3K.
Also, it's possible to cancel the preorder (and even return them) so the risk isn't that high.

Curious where you saw them for 10 percent off...only saw them for preorder on amazon(US) but no such discount, last I checked. 

Congrats on getting the order in...your in for some happy Holidays!

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #299 of 11,341
Just want someone to tell me who to give my money to, Sony or Focal.

Thanks

Sorry bout me wallet

Welcome to head-fi

PS...these look good too, also coming from Sony....

1000X Noise Cancelling Bluetooth® Headphones

MDR-1000X

....but that is for an entirely different thread.

Looks like Sony has awakened and is battling for all fronts.

I have one on me....let's play with it on the flight back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back