The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #271 of 11,341
Remember, we're not supposed to copy and paste lengthy posts and add them to our posts for a one sentence reply. It's the same as collecting the neighbors garbage and putting at our own curb.
Keep it simple. This is a forum, not a trash heap.

Thanks for adding to the trash heap..

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #272 of 11,341
I'm actually quite excited about these headphones as are the engineers, producers and artists that I've auditioned them for.  

For clarification, my system is Duntech Princess with Krell FBP300 amps in a Walters-Storyk designed room.  This system is hardly bright.  I doubt you have ever been in this room listening to music because if you have, this would not be your comment.

We have many different manufacturers and models of headphones at Battery and use them all.  Including Stax.  Please do the comparison for yourself, I think you will be impressed.

I feel you should give the Z1R's an audition before making comments like this.  What went into the design is very impressive to me and my participation was only a small part of the overall finished product.

LOL!

If only life were like this!!

http://youtu.be/sXJ8tKRlW3E

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #273 of 11,341
AFAIK, the Dharma uses a Wagami based paper driver... No issues there either 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #275 of 11,341
After 5h listening to the MDR-CD3000 and the HD 800 S today, what I want to know now is... when and where can I order? If this thing sounds like a CD3K, with titanium and lambskin, I'm in. If it sounds better as it should, I'm running there even missing a kidney (and probably an 800S)...

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #276 of 11,341
  good 'ole sony....wonder how they'll sound compared to my sony 7520
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758138-REG/Sony_MDR_7520_MDR_7520_Professional_Studio_Headphones.html

Good as these are for the money the Z1R will probably make you re-valuate owning your 7520's once you've heard them. 
This is what Im guessing will happen when I listen to them and I've had my 7520's modded to both cups with Whiplash Hybrid cable.

I'm hoping so anyway as Z1R want to sound considerably better when they are £1700 to 7520's £300. 

good 'ole sony....wonder how they'll sound compared to my sony 7520
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758138-REG/Sony_MDR_7520_MDR_7520_Professional_Studio_Headphones.html

thats a great headphone with a lot of resolution held back by what is to date the most closed in soundstage I have ever heard. 

Agree there, although the Beyer velour pads helped with this a bit but compared to other cans they still are restricted in this area which is it's only real let down as it feels like the music is been a bit stiffled at times and not allowed to breath with a natural spatial sound staging.

Although this has not stopped me from enjoying my pair of 7520's thoroughly for last two+ years now. 

Just don't listen to the Ether C for sound stage compared to the 7520's! 

If the Z1R has the Ether C sound stage then could be icing on the cake if the rest of the sound lives up to expectations...

This could be what kills my love affair with the 7520's! 

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #277 of 11,341
had to read this for work, was kinda surprised that this forum wasn't cited as a textbook case of the following:-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215706/

and btw, did anyone in Beijing managed to audition the system over the weekend?

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #278 of 11,341
  AFAIK, the Dharma uses a Wagami based paper driver... No issues there either 
smily_headphones1.gif

It's definitely too early to tell as far as the Dharma's are concerned.

My biggest concern is mainly about the long-term longevity of the acoustic filter's material over many years of use.

I just got a PM from thatonenoob, and he said he is going to try to find out more about the filters from the engineers.

Although I highly doubt the designers would decide to use a material that would begin to noticeably degrade well before any other part of the headphone did, things like that have happened in the past with other premium products.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #280 of 11,341
I have one major concern about the Z1R.

Since its earcup's entire rear baffle (or 'acoustic filter" as Sony calls it) is essentially made out of a thick paper, with only a open-mesh screen protecting it, if any liquid were to accidentally get on the outside of the filter, it seems like they could easily be pretty much ruined!  :eek:   And can you even clean something like this?!  And will they begin to biodegrade (fall apart) over time?!?

I can only hope the filters are user replaceable (but I'm guessing they're not). :xf_eek:  

i was thinking along the same lines. a humid environment could be problematic for this design. luv the look tho.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #281 of 11,341
i was thinking along the same lines. a humid environment could be problematic for this design. luv the look tho.

http://www.precious-piece.com/products/products_sizing.html

Architectural and industrial washi has long been available in water/humidity repellent form, and like paper cones in loudspeakers, they last. (my pair of jbl monitors were inherited from my grand dad, he bought them in the late 60s, tweeters, midranges, woofers, all made of paper, lasted 5 relocations, from Asia to North America now back in Asia).

Washi in audio applications
http://rincrossing.smrj.go.jp/en/story/story48.php

Washi uses long interlaced fibre and is closer to papyrus than it is to photocopy paper. Washi has been used to make clothes, reusable plates, architectural screens etc.

http://www.aisf.or.jp/%7Ejaanus/deta/w/washi.htm

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #282 of 11,341
  I'm actually quite excited about these headphones as are the engineers, producers and artists that I've auditioned them for.  

For clarification, my system is Duntech Princess with Krell FBP300 amps in a Walters-Storyk designed room.  This system is hardly bright.  I doubt you have ever been in this room listening to music because if you have, this would not be your comment.

We have many different manufacturers and models of headphones at Battery and use them all.  Including Stax.  Please do the comparison for yourself, I think you will be impressed.

I feel you should give the Z1R's an audition before making comments like this.  What went into the design is very impressive to me and my participation was only a small part of the overall finished product.

This post by a contributor to the Z1R's sound tuning, has me more excited than all the posts and pics on this thread, I think.  Oh, and his other post shortly after.
I missed the R10, Qualia, and CD3k...if this is "the one", I will not miss this.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #283 of 11,341

Definitely OT, but I just wanted to bless this thread with my 777th post! 
biggrin.gif

Hellelujah, Sony!

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #285 of 11,341
The ear cup design of the Z1R follows that of the assymetric shape design of the R10. That's a very good start for minimizing resonnance.

Personnally I think the paper filter is just a gimmick less sonically significant compares to the cup shape. All dynamic drivers headphones from Audio Technica to Grado to Sennheiser all use some sort of paper filter behind the driver diaphragms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back