The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #256 of 11,341
I'm looking forward to the comparisons with other headphones and mainly for the poetic wordings that will be used:
"They blow headphone X out of the water"
"They kill headphone X"
"They completely destroy headphone X".
"They schiit all over headphone X"

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #257 of 11,341
  Question: I see in the photos that the cable on the headphone end has a locking mechanism. Does this mean after market cables other than Kimber is not compatible? 

yes they already do make them for sony dual 3.5 eidolic universal plugs. 

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #258 of 11,341

yes they already do make them for sony dual 3.5 eidolic universal plugs. 

If the Z7 is any point of reference, then no.  Aftermarket cable makers use standard 3.5mm jacks and I have yet to hear complaints about loose connections.  But I do like how the cable plugs, then threads in place...

Thank you for the reply!

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #260 of 11,341
  Question: I see in the photos that the cable on the headphone end has a locking mechanism. Does this mean after market cables other than Kimber is not compatible? 

They are still compatible with our extended 3.5mm connectors.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Sep 3, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #261 of 11,341

http://www.phileweb.com/sp/news/d-av/201609/03/39489.html

more info and a vid of the exploded exhibit
(please use google translate)

To me they are nearly open cans by construction. The paper filter is very mysterious to me. This is for sure a very interesting method for dampening the resonances.

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #262 of 11,341
I have one major concern about the Z1R.

Since its earcup's entire rear baffle (or 'acoustic filter" as Sony calls it) is essentially made out of a thick paper, with only a open-mesh screen protecting it, if any liquid were to accidentally get on the outside of the filter, it seems like they could easily be pretty much ruined! 
eek.gif
  And can you even clean something like this?!  And will they begin to biodegrade (fall apart) over time?!?

I can only hope the filters are user replaceable (but I'm guessing they're not).
redface.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #263 of 11,341

Since its earcup's entire rear baffle (or 'acoustic filter" as Sony calls it) is essentially made out of a thick paper, with only a open-mesh screen protecting it, if any liquid were to accidentally get on the outside of the filter, it seems like they could easily be pretty much ruined! 
eek.gif
  And can you even clean something like this?!

I can only hope the filters are user replaceable (but I'm guessing they're not).
redface.gif

Technically any open headphone would have that same issue. Spill liquid onto a HD800S and the driver would be ruined.

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #264 of 11,341

Since its earcup's entire rear baffle (or 'acoustic filter" as Sony calls it) is essentially made out of a thick paper, with only a open-mesh screen protecting it, if any liquid were to accidentally get on the outside of the filter, it seems like they could easily be pretty much ruined!  :eek:   And can you even clean something like this?!  And will they begin to biodegrade (fall apart) over time?!?

I can only hope the filters are user replaceable (but I'm guessing they're not). :xf_eek:  

Nothing is perfect :D, your question should be "how long will Sony keep up with providing replacement parts ? For this model". Can you fix it up 15 years down the road ?

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #265 of 11,341
Nothing is perfect
biggrin.gif
, your question should be "how long will Sony keep up with providing replacement parts ? For this model". Can you fix it up 15 years down the road ?

I agree.  Nothing lasts forever.  But it would be a shame if the paper acoustic filters were to become a problem down the road.

Still love this headphone, though. 

Just a little concerned, mainly because such a potentially fragile material like this has never been used before in a headphone.

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #267 of 11,341
any one know what happened with the older technical team, that someone mentioned would be apart of the model after z7, as this seem to be their new release?

as some people are saying here, there will hopefully be a lot of details, still the price point is quite large, seems almost like a girl that wants to buy a genuine gucci-bag

wondering how much pressure these can handle, because of the structure, and if there will be any bass-amount to talk about?
they seem to sell it with the idea of 120 khz, and it seems that even though it may well produce a very satisfying bass response, it may lack something in the full-spectrum

not sure if they really got it all right, the z7 was not that overally exciting for a lot of people, searching for a more broader spectrum, that could satify more people 

any one that think, that these,will not sell that, good because of the price - performance ratio? (may after a price drop to 1200 euro's)

have to say, that i'm not overally excited about the aluminium coating, and the magnesium seem to be a bit dull
still its the driver that makes the sound, seem to be quite similar to the z7, even though it may be thinner

there is no titanium in the driver what i know of but just as a side note: titanium a bit too harsh

hope they will release something better with a good price for the performance 1 year or less, after this release, still it would still be quite of an experience to listen to this headphone

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #269 of 11,341
good 'ole sony....wonder how they'll sound compared to my sony 7520
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758138-REG/Sony_MDR_7520_MDR_7520_Professional_Studio_Headphones.html

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #270 of 11,341
  good 'ole sony....wonder how they'll sound compared to my sony 7520
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758138-REG/Sony_MDR_7520_MDR_7520_Professional_Studio_Headphones.html

thats a great headphone with a lot of resolution held back by what is to date the most closed in soundstage I have ever heard. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back