The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #10,246 of 11,341
Glad you trust your own ears and enjoy this fantastic sounding headphone! If you have access to Tidal for instance, listen the the album Anian by 9Bach. The first three tracks will really showcase quite a bit that makes the Z1R special.
I did and you were right :) Always like music suggestions that lead me to something new. (Edit) wow, Pa Le? from 9Bach's other album was brilliant as well. Now I am late for work sigh!!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #10,247 of 11,341
I did and you were right :) Always like music suggestions that lead me to something new. (Edit) wow, Pa Le? from 9Bach's other album was brilliant as well. Now I am late for work sigh!!

Glad you liked the suggestion. I have to listen to the 9Bach album you are referencing so in turn, thanks for the heads up.

Jun 11, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #10,249 of 11,341
4/
1'
My Z1Rs are connected to Yggy and Rag ... they scale up beautifully!! You will love them I am sure. Just about everything sounds amazing, including my iems and near field speakers. Classical and jazz especially sound more impressive than others. Congrats, very excited for you!

the yiggy does interest me...as does the hugo2...i want to upgrade my tt dac (currently is ifi micro idsd)
but the psa direct stream dac (?) is too pricey ...so both the yiggy and hugo 2 interest me.

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #10,250 of 11,341
oh, disagreement over a review,
going a bit apesh*t...(that guy in pic does a bit resemble Ty....lol)
wasnt' deliberate, lol
so some rebellion and outcry, lol...
just the usual on a Friday afternoon

quoted for hilarity

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #10,251 of 11,341
The mids of these cans are all but forward. The mids are very laid back, which makes male vocals and guitars sound rather thin. Some may like that kind of sound signature, but not me.

I disagree with Tyll's statement that I'd rather listen to the M50x, because those were really terrible.

The Z1R would be really nice desktop headphones if they cost 600 bucks.

I think Sony is on a strange path currently. They're like "premium at any cost", using esoteric materials, constructs and production techniques just to make an appearance in the premium price category.

Unfortunately, that's all they deliver. Don't get me wrong, Sony's TOTL products are really fine. I took some time to listen to the stuff and compare a little. But their prices are just hilarious. Almost three and a half thousand for a DAP that sounds SLIGHTLY better than a Smartphone (V10, HTC 10, G5). Over two thousand bucks for a headphone that sounds like a SLIGHTLY more refined than a hundred fifty dollar B&O H6.

Sorry for the sudden rant. Wasn't planning to write that much and definitely don't intend to bash Sony here. Their products are really good. But instead of tinkering around with expensive materials and other "revolutionary" stuff, they should focus on sound quality and features that are actually useful.

Cheers

One of the things i hate most is that someone says this hp's are bad at this and that, and i don't like them, but for X price they were really nice option.

If you don't like them, what does it matter how much they cost? I'm pretty sure you're not in the position to say what is the msrp should be for any headphone. i think a more reasonable price for the focal utopia should not be more than 2K, and the senns 800S should be 1200 tops, but it's irrelevant what i think in that regard.
if someone heard them and fell in love with them and they make him feel good if having the budget he would probably buy them for a full price, and if not he wouldn't invest a single penny in them.

so your take on how they sound is really important to hear, and good to know, but you price tagging them doesn't really interest anyone and is irrelevant.

Plus you don't really know the actual manufacturing costs and the development costs, if it's 2 times higher than let's say a th900, then the price is just right is it not? or the price should be based on your opinion on how they sound..

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #10,252 of 11,341
One of the things i hate most is that someone says this hp's are bad at this and that, and i don't like them, but for X price they were really nice option.

If you don't like them, what does it matter how much they cost? I'm pretty sure you're not in the position to say what is the msrp should be for any headphone. i think a more reasonable price for the focal utopia should not be more than 2K, and the senns 800S should be 1200 tops, but it's irrelevant what i think in that regard.
if someone heard them and fell in love with them and they make him feel good if having the budget he would probably buy them for a full price, and if not he wouldn't invest a single penny in them.

so your take on how they sound is really important to hear, and good to know, but you price tagging them doesn't really interest anyone and is irrelevant.

Plus you don't really know the actual manufacturing costs and the development costs, if it's 2 times higher than let's say a th900, then the price is just right is it not? or the price should be based on your opinion on how they sound..
Because the more one reads the more one questions. They dont know what they like.

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #10,253 of 11,341

All I am doing is sharing my impressions and thoughts here, just like anyone else. Yes, my post was kind of a rant. But anyway. People are reading these threads for buying advice. And the price is an important criterion for making a buying decision. Not everyone can spontaneously shell out 2000 bucks for a headphone, but many are willing to save that money to do so.
And just to throw that in: I think the Z1R sound great. But above a certain price tag, competition is extraordinarily stiff. So the examination of strength and weaknesses will be eventually harsh and critical.
When I'm saying "this hp would be a nice option at 600", I'm primarily trying to give undecided buyers the hint that there may be equally well performing options at this price tag.
I know, most people in this thread heavily disagree with my statement. And that's really fine. A variety of different opinions makes a discussion lively, interesting and in the end, helps other people to make a decision.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #10,254 of 11,341
All I am doing is sharing my impressions and thoughts here, just like anyone else. Yes, my post was kind of a rant. But anyway. People are reading these threads for buying advice. And the price is an important criterion for making a buying decision. Not everyone can spontaneously shell out 2000 bucks for a headphone, but many are willing to save that money to do so.
And just to throw that in: I think the Z1R sound great. But above a certain price tag, competition is extraordinarily stiff. So the examination of strength and weaknesses will be eventually harsh and critical.
When I'm saying "this hp would be a nice option at 600", I'm primarily trying to give undecided buyers the hint that there may be equally well performing options at this price tag.
I know, most people in this thread heavily disagree with my statement. And that's really fine. A variety of different opinions makes a discussion lively, interesting and in the end, helps other people to make a decision.

Again, i have no problem with your impressions and thoughts on these, it's good as any other, but because sound is subjective, and build wise these are incredible, i personally think a person should address the relevant thing's which is how he thinks they sound, comfort, build and all the rest without tagging the sound with price.

Really don't want to sound too dramatic but i see this happens from time to time and i personally don't like that.

but it's only me.. :)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #10,255 of 11,341

I completely agree with you that the Z1R is not worth its asking prize but that goes with most headphones above 500-600 usd. Way too many headphones are overpriced including the Utopia in my opinion, but people are buying them anyway so I don't think we will see a price drop, probably more the opposite.

But I don't think you can find a closed-back headphone for less than 1000 usd with approximately the same signature and quality. If so please let me know :) The aeon do not have the Z1Rs bass and the warm natural tone as far as I know. I don't know any.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #10,256 of 11,341
Jun 12, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #10,257 of 11,341
I heard the Utopia, HD800 and Sony mdr z1r side by side and though I prefer them in the order I listed, I still find the Sony interesting and enjoyable. Certainly not bright.

They're all nice, IMO, but in very different ways.

Sorry guys, I've been in Alaska for a month, making sure to get myself into various life-and-death situations every week (or biweekly). Obviously, no 4G,3G, or what G.

Glad to see you survived. Don't think Head-Fi'ers are all that tasty to the wildlife there.

What's going on.

Not all that much, except for Tyll dousing a Z1R with gasoline and setting it on fire. Sort of.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #10,258 of 11,341
Glad you trust your own ears and enjoy this fantastic sounding headphone! If you have access to Tidal for instance, listen the the album Anian by 9Bach. The first three tracks will really showcase quite a bit that makes the Z1R special.

Thanks for the recommendation! Lisa Jen is a talented lady with very distinctive and attractive voice you don't hear often. The album sounds awesome with the Z1Rs.:thumbsup:

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #10,259 of 11,341
4/
1'

the yiggy does interest me...as does the hugo2...i want to upgrade my tt dac (currently is ifi micro idsd)
but the psa direct stream dac (?) is too pricey ...so both the yiggy and hugo 2 interest me.

I am interested in the hugo2 as well. So far, not many reviews but the few that are out seem very positive. The yggy was an upgrade from hdvd800 and very happy with the decision so far. I listen to classical quite a bit and started noticing there are so many well known conductors that make noise while conducting... some of them sing or grunt through certain passages which is kind of annoying. If you do get the hugo2, please let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back