The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #10,231 of 11,341
I would say some people there hearing aren't that good rather than mine being sensitive since what I heard last year pretty much exactly reflect the measurements.

I have a documented dip in my hearing in the 6-10KHZ range from an explosion in my youth so don't notice any peaks

Jun 11, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #10,232 of 11,341
I would say some people there hearing aren't that good rather than mine being sensitive since what I heard last year pretty much exactly reflect the measurements.

You can't use yourself as a baseline to compare others against. You could actually be sensitive. A potential problem with measurements is that measureable and effectively audible aren't always a linear thing, there is always some degree of individual variation. You see measurements frequently that find differences, but the magnitude of the difference is still relatively speaking minimal, but nonetheless there. If many people don't find the 10kHz spike as bothersome as you do, it doesn't matter that it is indeed measureable, nobody is disputing that, but you can't simply assume that it is the other people who have poor hearing and you are not sensitive. That is called a non-falsifiable argument and isn't valid. It is possible you are correct, but you shouldn't simply assume it.

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #10,237 of 11,341
Ugh, that was some dialogue.
But honestly, I am occasionally guilty of looking at the charts, thanks to Tyll and the early days of HeadRoom, crude and suspect as charts may be.
Biggest reason for not putting too much value in the charts is that I don't listen to single tones or tone sweeps that often.
Maybe, when I am using a tone generator for my own purposes, but not really.
When I hear someone say it sounds exactly like the chart, I always appreciate how much they sacrifice for science, listening to tone sweeps that is.
Joking, no offense intended, but reality check required here.

What I do appreciate is when someone says how it actually sounds like a human voice, or a string instrument, or a concert hall, or a track recorded in a sound booth.
Whatever, has to have some relationship to actual soundscapes we encounter and wish to reproduce.

On another of the recent OT tracks, a little appreciation for Tyll and his contribution to our obsession, though many of us may not know it.
Using the Internet Archive WayBack Machine, here is a listing of Tyll's headphone amp offerings in March 2005, just before he redesigned the lineup.
From $149 to $3880. More than 30 offerings, some just feature variations, but at least a dozen different designs:
https://web.archive.org/web/2005030...one.com:80/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=27

The subsequent designs were presented on different web pages rather than a single list, you can follow the links:
https://web.archive.org/web/2005070...com:80/products/headphone-amps/headroom-amps/

Here's a the list of just the miniature desktops:
https://web.archive.org/web/2005070...eadphone-amps/headroom-amps/the-desktop-line/

"Tyll’s business plan was simple: do a good job selling headphones, and make killer amps to go along with them."
https://web.archive.org/web/2005030...one.com:80/layout.php?topicID=7&subTopicID=73

Thanks, Tyll, for all of that. And all those freaking charts!

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #10,238 of 11,341
Who says I was doing tone sweeps? I was simply using them normally and it was quite obvious what the Z1R was doing.

It was that easy to hear.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #10,240 of 11,341
I received my Z1R's yesterday. My first impression was to be expected, they where just ok. After only 24 hours of burn they are opening up very nicely. They are very comfortable, very light weight, and sexy as hell. Sound stage is about as wide as my TH900s, and have for more depth. Early this year I sold most of my HP equipment, LCD3f HE1000v1, and the Audio GD Master11. I know that I may get banned for saying this, but I am using my Creative sound card as my source for now. Yggy and Ragg will be here in a few weeks for proper listening. Oh and I am listening with my ears, and not a graph like some like to do.

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #10,241 of 11,341
(Mod Comment)
General warning - getting some posts recently from members who are disagreeing about how they hear things.

Please reference our rules:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/articles/posting-guidelines.14048/

Specifically these:
Curb any urge you may have to flippantly dismiss someone's opinion. (Examples: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" or "That's bull****"). Don't take comments personally. Just as music tastes are subjective, so is the equipment used.
Avoid getting personal. Do not make personal attacks, even veiled or generalised ones, such as "All people who believe X are deluded.", "All people who can't hear the difference must be deaf.", "This will be fine for people without hearing problems." etc. If you disagree with someone's opinion, discuss the opinion, not the person.

I hope this thread can get back on track and avoid any senseless bickering. I quoted above two rules because if certain members continue - we'll remove them from the thread. We would prefer not to intervene.

Jun 11, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #10,242 of 11,341
Isn't it interesting how some of the $300-$400 headphones are very satisfying and have little to gripe about. Is it possible that many of the expensive flagships are trying too hard to "reinvent the wheel"?

Today, I finally gave in and upgraded my iPhone6 to 7, (proud to have restrained myself from getting the 6s) and came across something totally unexpected. You know, the white iPhone earbuds that come with the phone... since there is no earphone jack anymore to make the phones water resistant, they plug into the lightning jack. So, out of curiosity tried them instead of throwing them in the drawer along with bunch of other white iPhone earbuds from previous iPhones that I never used. I was completely surprised at how good they sounded! The bass was awesome and had a nice rumble and clarity. They still don't fit or seal well, but unlike some of the high end items that do not sound right unless there is a nice seal, these sounded awesome! I am not going to feel sorry for them anymore whenever I see someone listening to white apple earbuds. They are close to 90% there already. I am just trying to get that last 10%.

Jun 11, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #10,244 of 11,341
My Z1Rs are connected to Yggy and Rag ... they scale up beautifully!! You will love them I am sure. Just about everything sounds amazing, including my iems and near field speakers. Classical and jazz especially sound more impressive than others. Congrats, very excited for you!

Jun 11, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #10,245 of 11,341
My Z1Rs are connected to Yggy and Rag ... they scale up beautifully!! You will love them I am sure. Just about everything sounds amazing, including my iems and near field speakers. Classical and jazz especially sound more impressive than others. Congrats, very excited for you!

Glad you trust your own ears and enjoy this fantastic sounding headphone! If you have access to Tidal for instance, listen the the album Anian by 9Bach. The first three tracks will really showcase quite a bit that makes the Z1R special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back