The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2,731 of 11,341

Even though I purchased this I'm still curious with the ZMF Eikon. They use bio drivers as well and seems tuning can be the Z1R's alley. I hates this hobby though

OHH YES. Erhm, I mean, Oh yes, I have been very curious about the ZMFs too, but, it's just because it's biocel. And biocel reminds me of the R10 and CD3000 and other epic drivers that you could buy for $450 years ago but now you'll be very lucky if you find anything even removely similar for twice that much.

Indeed, inflation and time flow fast. But anyway, I'm quite curious about ZMF and their drivers.

Ok, so I've poured enough hours in to these cans to finally offer some sort of opinion, my initial feelings are.....I love them. Which to be honest, is bad news, because now I'm going to end up being poorer for it. Ultimately though, whilst still not perfect (nothing ever is lol) they are pretty much what I was after, and fit my criteria so well it's almost perplexing.

I essentially wanted a musical, more bassier accompaniment to my HD800 and T1, but closed, and without sacrificing too much detail and soundstage, and the MDR-Z1R offers basically exactly that

I can honestly say that for me, the MDR-Z1R's strike a better balance than the aforementioned Audeze cans. The MDR-1ZR's have all that low end drama and emotion, whilst still having a very refined, smooth, but highly detailed top end, with remarkably competent imagining performance, and plenty of still natural sounding sparkle. Even the soundstage is much bigger and more holographic than I imagined it would be, especially given these are closed cans.

Don't get me wrong, they do sound very different to the T1's and HD800's. The HD800 is the soundstage king, I mean, it puts you right in the middle of some massive auditorium and lets your mind explore it, but I feel that comes at the cost of some engagement, body and sweetness. The sonic presentation is a tad too cold and clinical for a lot of music, and the bass impact is tepid.

I read all your impressions with great eagerness and think I exactly know what you mean. The Z1R is indeed weird. I felt guild getting rid of the HD800 S because it sounded so airy, so holographic, so sharp on the high end even smoothed out from the original 800...

Still, the Z1R was a total explosion of pure fun!... a lot darker (which I typically hate), less grainy, but with stronger mids and a tighter low-end. Yes. Tight but not HD800/S grade... it is indeed... a bit softer, not muddy and super slow, but well, the huge drivers have a price to pay. Bass can get a bit slower sometimes.

In a good way? YES! They're not technically awesome but they're bloody fun. It's like the CD3000 that everyone hated in 1997 because they were "too sibilant" but now are just grainy and detailed and worth 3x the original cost.

The Z1R are good, very good. MSRP good? Hmm no. (that sucks because I bought them at MSRP), Still, they are good.

Just buy them if the price is right, ear-test and return if unworthy. And you need closed cans of course, it gets tiring reading comparisons of the Z1R righting open cans in areas light soundstage and overall air.

And you like more presence in the lower mids/bass and slightly softer/less fatiguing mids don't you? 

Oh they're good... damn, I feel as if I'm being paid by Sony to post this. I'm not. Sony sucks, the 1000X creaks of plastic a lot Z1R pricing is ridiculous, but still... the Z1R... ohhh so good... I want Sony stock for all this positive whining...

It looks so awesome....and sounds better. Damn you Sony. Gimme my money back, Amazon is selling the Z1R a lot cheaper now...

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,732 of 11,341
Few other random quick points.

1. These headphones are aesthetically absolutely beautiful.
  2. They are probably the most comfortable headphones I've used.
  3. The build quality is superlative.
  4. They are extremely light.
  5. They are extremely easy to drive. Easier than my T1's, HD800's, Fostex T50RP's (modded) and about the same as my AKG K545's and K550's, at least with respect to volume.
  6. They still sound really good straight out of an iPhone or Galaxy, and get plenty loud too. Of course they do sound even better amped and properly DAC'd.
  7. Those of you using PowerAmp with the S7 Edge, switch off EQ, Tone, Limit and DVC for the best sound, with louder volumes. Unless of course you want to EQ.
  8. Those of you using Amarra, turn off Amarra mode for these cans. I find Amarra adds a touch of additional sub bass and peakier highs, which are unnecessary.
  9. How these cans are positioned on your head makes little difference to overall sound, unlike my other cans which in some instances sound dramatically different depending on positioning.
  10. Just like every other can I've used, they are not ideally suited to all tracks, and all vocals. Some will sound better or worse, or more or less realistic than others.
  11. As someone who enjoys racing games (simulation and arcade alike), I find these cans do vehicle sounds great justice. Exhaust and engine notes never sounded better.
  12. The cables they come with are extremely light and flexible.
  13. Despite my very positive impressions, like most hi-end audio equipment these days, I still feel they're overpriced, especially given the T1.1's are only £599 on Amazon UK presently.
  14. I find low volume listening isn't quite as effective on these as with my German cans.
  15. These are extremely inoffensive cans in the sense that they are not remotely fatiguing, and show up barely any sibilance. At least in testing at my listening volume levels anyway.
  16. The sound proofing on the cups is very good. The outside world will hear very little out of your cans, even when you're listening at moderate volumes.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #2,733 of 11,341
OHH YES. Erhm, I mean, Oh yes, I have been very curious about the ZMFs too, but, it's just because it's biocel. And biocel reminds me of the R10 and CD3000 and other epic drivers that you could buy for $450 years ago but now you'll be very lucky if you find anything even removely similar for twice that much.

Indeed, inflation and time flow fast. But anyway, I'm quite curious about ZMF and their drivers.

I read all your impressions with great eagerness and think I exactly know what you mean. The Z1R is indeed weird. I felt guild getting rid of the HD800 S because it sounded so airy, so holographic, so sharp on the high end even smoothed out from the original 800...

Still, the Z1R was a total explosion of pure fun!... a lot darker (which I typically hate), less grainy, but with stronger mids and a tighter low-end. Yes. Tight but not HD800/S grade... it is indeed... a bit softer, not muddy and super slow, but well, the huge drivers have a price to pay. Bass can get a bit slower sometimes.

In a good way? YES! They're not technically awesome but they're bloody fun. It's like the CD3000 that everyone hated in 1997 because they were "too sibilant" but now are just grainy and detailed and worth 3x the original cost.

The Z1R are good, very good. MSRP good? Hmm no. (that sucks because I bought them at MSRP), Still, they are good.

Just buy them if the price is right, ear-test and return if unworthy. And you need closed cans of course, it gets tiring reading comparisons of the Z1R righting open cans in areas light soundstage and overall air.

And you like more presence in the lower mids/bass and slightly softer/less fatiguing mids don't you? 

Oh they're good... damn, I feel as if I'm being paid by Sony to post this. I'm not. Sony sucks, the 1000X creaks of plastic a lot Z1R pricing is ridiculous, but still... the Z1R... ohhh so good... I want Sony stock for all this positive whining...

It looks so awesome....and sounds better. Damn you Sony. Gimme my money back, Amazon is selling the Z1R a lot cheaper now...

If you bought the headphones using a premium level credit card, you might be able to get some of your money back. Many offer their own "price adjustments" up to a certain amount.

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #2,734 of 11,341

• These headphones are aesthetically absolutely beautiful.
  • They are probably the most comfortable headphones I've used.
  • The build quality is superlative.
  • They are extremely light.
  • They are extremely easy to drive. Easier than my T1's, HD800's, Fostex T50RP's (modded) and about the same as my AKG K545's and K550's, at least with respect to volume.
  • They still sound really good straight out of an iPhone or Galaxy, and get plenty loud too. Of course they do sound even better amped and properly DAC'd.
  • Those of you using PowerAmp with the S7 Edge, switch off EQ, Tone, Limit and DVC for the best sound, with louder volumes. Unless of course you want to EQ.
  • Those of you using Amarra, turn off Amarra mode for these cans. I find Amarra adds a touch of additional sub bass and peakier highs, which are unnecessary.
  • How these cans are positioned on your head makes little difference to overall sound, unlike my other cans which in some instances sound dramatically different depending on positioning.
  • Just like every other can I've used, they are not ideally suited to all tracks, and all vocals. Some will sound better or worse, or more or less realistic than others.
  • As someone who enjoys racing games (simulation and arcade alike), I find these cans do vehicle sounds great justice. Exhaust and engine notes never sounded better.
  • The cables they come with are extremely light and flexible.
  • Despite my very positive impressions, like most hi-end audio equipment these days, I still feel they're overpriced, especially given the T1.1's are only £599 on Amazon UK presently.
  • I find low volume listening isn't quite as effective on these as with my German cans.
  • These are extremely inoffensive cans in the sense that they are not remotely fatiguing, and show up barely any sibilance. At least in testing at my listening volume levels anyway.
  • The sound proofing on the cups is very good. The outside world will hear very little out of your cans, even when you're listening at moderate volumes.

They are also very easy to drive with mobile phones. I am constantly amazed with the sound I am getting from my iPhone 6s Plus..

Despite owning the Chord Mojo and others, I keep on plugging it directly into the iPhone headphone socket for musicality.

IPhone 6s Plus + Sony MDR-Z1R + Sony-Kimber cable ...
Try it and you will see.

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #2,735 of 11,341
  1. Despite my very positive impressions, like most hi-end audio equipment these days, I still feel they're overpriced, especially given the T1.1's are only £599 on Amazon UK presently.

I do agree with this.  I spent some time with the HD800, T1.1 and the like...and I'll be darned if the T1.1 isn't the best value for money flagship at this point in time.  It punches hard and in fact shows up some of the other more expensive headphones I've tried.  May be an "oldie" but it's got more than a couple of tricks up its sleeve.

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #2,736 of 11,341
  I do agree with this.  I spent some time with the HD800, T1.1 and the like...and I'll be darned if the T1.1 isn't the best value for money flagship at this point in time.  It punches hard and in fact shows up some of the other more expensive headphones I've tried.  May be an "oldie" but it's got more than a couple of tricks up its sleeve.

Completely agree.

On a side note, can I just say, after doing my comparisons and listening tests etc, I realised my opinions have a remarkable correlation with your own. How you found and described the T1.1's, Audeze cans, the Z1R's etc, I think I agree with you on so many points, and would describe their properties in a very similar way, and that is rare. Much of the time I find myself disagreeing with many of the impressions on these forums or on other sites, especially from those who basically always think the newest version of a can is always the best, and perfect, until the next improvement is released and then suddenly they're happy to talk about the previous cans failings again lol.

It's great in the sense that I feel I finally have a reviewer I can more confidently rely on to have tastes more in tune with my own. Please don't ever sell yourself out though. Eg if manufacturers offer you free cans, discounts and incentives, please don't turn in to one of those hype masters that always relentlessly hype the next new thing, and are so quick to diminish and defend all it's failings. We desperately need more objectivity in this hobby, even when it comes to how we compare and represent our subjective preferences. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #2,737 of 11,341

Completely agree.

...Please don't ever sell yourself out though. Eg if manufacturers offer you free cans, discounts and incentives, please don't turn in to one of those hype masters that always relentlessly hype the next new thing, and are so quick to diminish and defend all it's failings. We desperately need more objectivity in this hobby, even when it comes to how we compare and represent our subjective preferences. 

While I would be a fool to suggest that I think this isn't a valid concern, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater so quickly. There are some reviewers that even if they receive free components to review, they still remain properly objective and provide a legitimate review due to their ethics and values. But yes, your point is still valid and it is never bad when any reviewer has no sense of being ingratiated to the people who provided them the review sample.

Nov 19, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,738 of 11,341
Dang it, this is the first time I have to admit that Sony stock cables is good......when reterminate to XLR balanced VS my UPOCC copper cables which is also XLR. The stock cables shows better transparency and details where the UPOCC introduce an even more warmth to Z1R. This is when I use them both with my Silver USB cables.

The stock cables is no slouch when reterminated. Especially that special 4.4mm balanced cables, which will go a long long way :D

The only bad thing is that the stock cables as SPC ...still has that harsh edges where treble is powerful and complex....but as far as if anyone want to use stock locking mechanism....I guess there is no way to use true silver or other materials and re-using stock plugs, it is almost impossible.

Of course there are better materials wires for upgrade out there, but there is 0 locking 3.5mm that do what the stock cables do (hold the wires and cables securely) without being rolled around when plugged

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #2,739 of 11,341
Dang it, this is the first time I have to admit that Sony stock cables is good......when reterminate to XLR balanced VS my UPOCC copper cables which is also XLR. The stock cables shows better transparency and details where the UPOCC introduce an even more warmth to Z1R. This is when I use them both with my Silver USB cables.

The stock cables is no slouch when reterminated. Especially that special 4.4mm balanced cables, which will go a long long way
biggrin.gif

The only bad thing is that the stock cables as SPC ...still has that harsh edges where treble is powerful and complex....but as far as if anyone want to use stock locking mechanism....I guess there is no way to use true silver or other materials and re-using stock plugs, it is almost impossible.

Of course there are better materials wires for upgrade out there, but there is 0 locking 3.5mm that do what the stock cables do (hold the wires and cables securely) without being rolled around when plugged

I thought those pearstone screw-in connector will fit snugly and screwed in well?

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #2,740 of 11,341
I thought those pearstone screw-in connector will fit snugly and screwed in well?

They screw in well, a little tight, but they don't hold the wires securely to avoid it rolling around in it sockets like the stock screws on plugs

The stock has 3 features:

1/ o-ring as a retainer
2/ sculpted body of plastic that compress on the bottom shell of the plug once screwed in
3/ the outer body for identification and the screwing mechanism that compress tighter onto the sculpted plastic body as the tighter you go onto the headphones.

They result in a secured lock that you can neither yank your the cables nor rolling it around...there is no cables or plugs or connectors on the market ATM to offer this. I never tried Sony Kimber, but I think it would offer this mechanism too.

Beside going to salvage these connectors and sculpture your own body wires ? I don't see any other options. However, you can always go for something else that is flexible enough to avoid it rolling around in the socket.

From the above statements, in conclusion...the Pearstone locking mechanism only do 1/2...that is locking it in place....to me, that is useless

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #2,741 of 11,341

Small price for a little fame :p Nice heavyweights

I think i realized why i like the look so much they kinda look like boobs

and i'm not being cheeky

as Italian car designs incorporate many female lines

ofc if there are ladies reading this : sorry?

Nov 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #2,742 of 11,341
The Ibasso dx50 is good with the 1z at quiet noise floor listening, actually a nice spacial sound that's very captivating in warmth and clarity.

The x3ii, while a good match sonically, doesn't have the amp to push three 1z even at quiet levels.

Coming Monday will be a chord Hugo which i presume with its musicality tone while keeping the treble details and air, should have great synergy. The walkman will have to wait which is probably best to let the selling price settle. Plus i was at rice and fish budget and now in ramen mode (with egg drop though).

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #2,743 of 11,341
Small price for a little fame :p Nice heavyweights

I think i realized why i like the look so much they kinda look like boobs

and i'm not being cheeky

as Italian car designs incorporate many female lines

ofc if there are ladies reading this : sorry?

*sigh* Was it really necessary to quote THE WHOLE FRIKKIN' POST for this piece of invaluable insight? smh.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #2,744 of 11,341
So I've been continuing to back and forth between lots of tracks with the Z1R's, T1's and HD800's, and whilst they're all excellent cans, it does seem like they're also all better at different things. I would say that the T1's and Z1R's come out as more enjoyable listens with the majority of music I personally listen to, though when the HD800's get it right, they do stun (eg classical music). The Z1R's so far for me, seem to be doing a better job with the majority of more modern style music I have, eg Hip Hop, RnB, Electronica (that the T1 also very much excels in), dubstep, dance, pop etc, whereas the T1's tend to do better with indie rock, alternative, OST's, also large swaths of pop and electronica, as well as other genres too. Essentially they're constantly trading blows, even within the genre's each typically does best in. I suppose that is always going to be the case irrespective of the quality of the headphones you use, because there isn't one signature that is perfect for everything.

The Z1R's un-doing in certain tracks, is that sometimes it has a touch too much darkness, whereas in so many other tracks, it's that moody darkness and added lushness that actually elevates it. It's one of those situations where if you never had the other cans on hand to compare with, you'd likely not even know you desired much, if any different, but when you're A/B'ing between the cans, the differences are unmasked, immediate and further highlighted.

I used to think the T1's were the bee's knee's for this track; Matilda - Stateless, but now I listen to it with the Z1R's, the sense of atmosphere, the realism of the strings, the presence and bellow of the bass, it all just sounds that little bit more engaging on the Z1R's, at least to my ears. It's still stunning on the T1's, so detailed and layered, but also bit more clean and lucid, everything sounds just a tad crisper and thinner, and doesn't quite have the same emotive feel. The HD800's for this track are a bit too spacious and clinical.

Give it a listen. It's a super rich and layered track, with lots going on to test your headphones with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34LHR5en1jc

Then there's this new track; Speed - Lance Skiiwalker, that isn't even available in very good quality yet, and which on my other cans just sounds a tiny bit busy and hot. Funnily enough it's the same situation in my car with my Harmon Kardon set up. On pretty much everything else I listen to this track on (bar my games room main speaker set up), there's too much up top, and the sub bass foundation isn't enough to let the rest sing. At first I thought it was just due to the quality of the file/recording, but it's a completely different story with the Z1R's, which have enough of that lower end foundation to gel the entire track together, and let the other components oddly enough, stand out more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q1wEN6mqx4

It's a semi similar situation with this other (rather unusual) track; Vine mirele - Argatu`. That extra presence down low coupled with the well balanced detail elsewhere, just gives the whole thing that little bit more musicality, drama and weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxOxZI17K7I

There are other tracks where the sub bass decay can detract from a track though, for example in Bahnhof Rumble - Chemical Brothers, that initial bassy heartbeat esque warble just sounds cleaner, more detailed and vivid on the T1's and HD800's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFNT90irWdc

Anyway, just some random musings from literally the last 20 minute listening session lol.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2,745 of 11,341

both T1 and HD 800 of either vintage are great vfm on their own, provided you need to have sympathetic source(s) and amplification, which in an of itself levels the playing field somewhat unless you already have synergistic equipment on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back