The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,746 of 11,341
  I do agree with this.  I spent some time with the HD800, T1.1 and the like...and I'll be darned if the T1.1 isn't the best value for money flagship at this point in time.  It punches hard and in fact shows up some of the other more expensive headphones I've tried.  May be an "oldie" but it's got more than a couple of tricks up its sleeve.

But that Beyer sizzle signature can be hard to listen to for any extended length. I used to love my DT 880, but I wonder how I would handle that emphasized top-end now? Saying that I do remember how when the right track came on and the 880 was well driven it was pretty special so I assume the T1 can do that, but even more. I just can't spend that kind of money on a "brighter" signature. I actually found the 800S very well balanced and the top-end not near as pronounced as I expected, the treble was actually quite nice. How does the T1 compare to the 800S?

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #2,747 of 11,341
  But that Beyer sizzle signature can be hard to listen to for any extended length. I used to love my DT 880, but I wonder how I would handle that emphasized top-end now? Saying that I do remember how when the right track came on and the 880 was well driven it was pretty special so I assume the T1 can do that, but even more. I just can't spend that kind of money on a "brighter" signature. I actually found the 800S very well balanced and the top-end not near as pronounced as I expected, the treble was actually quite nice. How does the T1 compare to the 800S?

Well, just have a good linear phase EQ VST plug-in installed in your J-River player and lower 3db at 8.5kHz with the T1.1, and save USD1000.

If one needed a close can, the late production T5p 1st generation is also extremely good in value. I acquired a slightly used (< 20 hours of usage) T5p at 1/4 cost of the Z1R last week.

I was seriously considered getting a Z1R during my next trip to Taiwan in Dec. The Taiwan Sony Store sells the Z1R at NTD55,900, equivalent to USD1,746 at current exchange rate, and I can get further VAT refund at the airport.

But then I realized I was so spoiled by the excellent imaging of my T1.1 and could hardly accept anything less. And if I want to experience the "live like" bass reproduction of the Z1R, I can achieve that by listening to my speaker setup. I know it is apple-orange comparison, but USD1700 is quite a lot of money just for "live like" bass experience. I can probably buy concert tickets for my and my wife 5 times with that amount of money.

So I did bargain hunting on all auction sites and luckily I scored my T5p from yahoo auction Japan.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,749 of 11,341

Well, just have a good linear phase EQ VST plug-in installed in your J-River player and lower 3db at 8.5kHz with the T1.1, and save USD1000.

So you got to spend enough time listening to the Z1R I take it? If not, ultimately you can't be sure the T1 is at all an equivalent experience even after the EQ you adjustment you have suggested. It is never that simple in my experience.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,750 of 11,341

I see your point. My apologies. :)

beerchug.gif
 Sorry if I sounded harsh.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #2,753 of 11,341

And that 1000 bucks would then end up going to getting a desktop amp to drive the 600ohm T1 you've just bought for cheap. 
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #2,754 of 11,341
  So you got to spend enough time listening to the Z1R I take it? If not, ultimately you can't be sure the T1 is at all an equivalent experience even after the EQ you adjustment you have suggested. It is never that simple in my experience.

Sure you have your point. To me the T1 will NEVER provide a Z1R equivalent experience. On the other hand, the Z1R also will not provide a T1 equivalent experience. So to me they are rated equal and so shall be sold at similar price.

I personally believe no headphone on the market today, given their sonic performance, shall be sold at over USD1,000. Above that price level, one shall get much better value for spending on a speaker setup.

But it is just me. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2,755 of 11,341
By HiFiGuy528...
"My recommendation for Z7 owners is not to audition Z1R unless you're ready to buy it. You won't enjoy your Z7 anymore after Z1R. You can't unhear it..."
That sounds like some pretty good advice.- coming from a Z7 owner. Oh, but what comfort...

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,756 of 11,341
Completely agree.

On a side note, can I just say, after doing my comparisons and listening tests etc, I realised my opinions have a remarkable correlation with your own. How you found and described the T1.1's, Audeze cans, the Z1R's etc, I think I agree with you on so many points, and would describe their properties in a very similar way, and that is rare. Much of the time I find myself disagreeing with many of the impressions on these forums or on other sites, especially from those who basically always think the newest version of a can is always the best, and perfect, until the next improvement is released and then suddenly they're happy to talk about the previous cans failings again lol.

It's great in the sense that I feel I finally have a reviewer I can more confidently rely on to have tastes more in tune with my own. Please don't ever sell yourself out though. Eg if manufacturers offer you free cans, discounts and incentives, please don't turn in to one of those hype masters that always relentlessly hype the next new thing, and are so quick to diminish and defend all it's failings. We desperately need more objectivity in this hobby, even when it comes to how we compare and represent our subjective preferences. 

Sorry for the late reply...very busy lately. Yes it is gratifying to know that we have similar tastes. It's difficult to find many T1 owners these days.

I do try my best to be objective. But I am biased, and I will not tell you otherwise as that would just be unrealistic. Such is the undeniable dilemma of being involved in reviewing.

Instead, I try to pick my reviews carefully, with companies I feel are professional. I clarify if these are samples or loans, etc. I provide metrics where I can, and allow readers to draw respective conclusions. I provide comparisons to the extent possible, and in cases also mention my known biases.

Most importantly, I write whatever I want to write. That's half the fun anyways.

Regarding T1...I will post more thoughts when I get home.

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,757 of 11,341
Sorry for the late reply...very busy lately. Yes it is gratifying to know that we have similar tastes. It's difficult to find many T1 owners these days.

I do try my best to be objective. But I am biased, and I will not tell you otherwise as that would just be unrealistic. Such is the undeniable dilemma of being involved in reviewing.

Instead, I try to pick my reviews carefully, with companies I feel are professional. I clarify if these are samples or loans, etc. I provide metrics where I can, and allow readers to draw respective conclusions. I provide comparisons to the extent possible, and in cases also mention my known biases.

Most importantly, I write whatever I want to write. That's half the fun anyways.

This just arrived with the balanced kimber cable for Z1R. Gonna see if it improves the Z1R even more.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #2,759 of 11,341

This just arrived with the balanced kimber cable for Z1R. Gonna see if it improves the Z1R even more.

wow! congrats!

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #2,760 of 11,341
My Z1R has just been dispatched with delivery Friday... Here we go then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back