The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #2,716 of 11,341
I don't know if anyone remember this, but since I discovered USB cables do bring changes and improvements into the chain, I DIY some USB cables together with analog headphones cables.

I always had the question why did these guys at Sony used upgraded USB cables and not Kimber cables on the Z1R.

So I went and did some testing, converted my stock SE cables into XLR 4 out of Oppo HA-1. First thing first, Ha-1 has amazing synergy with Z1R, it complement the Z1R bass and warmth very well due to itself being more neutral and lean.

I tried, USB copper cables, silver/gold and pure silver cables.

I found out that for the Z1R specially, using Pure silver cables in USB and stock cables to Balanced to Ha-1 to provide the best synergy. I don't know why, but this is the best combinations, and suddenly I love stock cables from Z1R now :D

Good locking mechanism, comfortable, flexible, and nice sound quality

So instead of looking for upgrade cables to Z1R, just look for good quality pure silver USB cables and you are set :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #2,717 of 11,341
I think the pre-order pricing expires on the 18th so consider that. I doubt we will see any discounting here. Amazon.ca is already and has been showing the Z1R at $2999 Canadian for a little while. Only going to get worse for us north of the border after the trade problems start so I'm glad I bought mine already!

Another thing to consider is if you wait and approach a US seller, contact them privately and ask for their best price. some won't budge, but perhaps you will find one that might. None will publically want to advertise lower prices so even if you see full retail advertised can't hurt to ask.

So it's for sure that the Amazon UK price is part of a promotion? Also, where did you find out the pricing may return to msrp on the 18th? If both things are true I may have to order the z1r sooner rather than later.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #2,718 of 11,341
So it's for sure that the Amazon UK price is part of a promotion? Also, where did you find out the pricing may return to msrp on the 18th? If both things are true I may have to order the z1r sooner rather than later.

Well, when I was on the Amazon UK page for the Z1R there was a message in the top right corner area that said promotional pricing ends November 18th. Is that not still on the page? Maybe it happens once you go into the cart. I went right to the point of one click away to purchase so I could see the full total. I was making an educated guess/assumption that the price would at that point return to full retail, but I don't know that for sure. I guess we'll know tomorrow.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #2,719 of 11,341
  Well, when I was on the Amazon UK page for the Z1R there was a message in the top right corner area that said promotional pricing ends November 18th. Is that not still on the page? Maybe it happens once you go into the cart. I went right to the point of one click away to purchase so I could see the full total. I was making an educated guess/assumption that the price would at that point return to full retail, but I don't know that for sure. I guess we'll know tomorrow.

I just checked, and what appears under the Promotion Message is:

"Pre-order Price Guarantee: order now and if the Amazon.co.uk price decreases between the time you place your order and the release date, you'll be charged the lowest price."

Hopefully this means the price will stay around it's current value. I hope it does, because right now is not exactly a good time for me to be making any large purchases. I was instead planning to purchase sometime early next year. But, as you say, we'll find out tomorrow. I hope I won't be kicking myself haha :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #2,721 of 11,341
I don't know if anyone remember this, but since I discovered USB cables do bring changes and improvements into the chain, I DIY some USB cables together with analog headphones cables.

I always had the question why did these guys at Sony used upgraded USB cables and not Kimber cables on the Z1R.

That cable looks like the Supra- http://amzn.to/2gqoXGr

Good cable for the price, made in Sweden, it's what I use and also recommended by Uptone audio.

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #2,725 of 11,341
I'm glad I kept #0026 after all. There has been some bonding. Comfort on these things is still sublime.

I still think I love the design even more than the sound. I love minimalist approaches and solving problems with as few pieces as necessary. The Z1R feel efficient that way. The headband looks super boring and simple, and yet, shape weight distribution and comfort is perfect. Simple works. Except for the case. For the case you want something simple looking but still fu@#$g over the top and with all that woody, leathery satin-ish feeling you don't really need but still smile at because it is unique.

Something good to lighten the day after the sad w.cd news. Thank you Z1R, thank you...

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,726 of 11,341
I'm finding the sound to have a nice musicality, all these years I've wanted Sony to release totl stuff and I believe they've pulled it off with the Z1R and xba-z5. Btw, the Z1R and Z5 share more similarities than one thinks..

I've also got those cable ends coming in and will fit my litz cable with them. Looking forward to hearing them with "audiophile" cables.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,728 of 11,341
  I'm finding the sound to have a nice musicality

I've been Head-Fi'ing for... hmm... about 14 or 15 years now and the Z1R are the set that gives me a stronger sense of that "musicality" feeling. Or let's simplify it, fun, just pure fun with your ear muffs. Foot-tapping, waist-shaking fun even if it's not a technically perfect sound; It's not accurate, it's not a good measurement tool, but it makes you happy. That might be the point when you spit out $1.5-2.5K.

Now is it perfect? No. And that bloody annoys me because it was super expensive and I really really like the case and build quality. It would have been absolutely epic if they were flawless. But it's not. Sigh..there are a few issues. Still, for the money... this is good, this is very good. I'm keeping them.

It's a bit of a birthday to me.
Around 1999-2000, everyone thought the CD3000 were kinda crappy and Head-Fi was silly "it's just headphones man! Why talk about it!!. And now, hmm, the first are worth 3-4x what they cost back then and Head-Fi is a place where even more people discuss... just headphones. :)

For Jazz and Z1R lovers, try Duke Ellington , Live at the Blue Note, Pie Eye's Blues. Listen for acoustic setting, timbre and swing.
No headphone does it better!

I'm getting it @Kamil21. That frequency chart a couple of dozen posts ago was a good find and this might be another one. :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #2,729 of 11,341

I've been Head-Fi'ing for... hmm... about 14 or 15 years now and the Z1R are the set that gives me a stronger sense of that "musicality" feeling. Or let's simplify it, fun, just pure fun with your ear muffs. Foot-tapping, waist-shaking fun even if it's not a technically perfect sound; It's not accurate, it's not a good measurement tool, but it makes you happy. That might be the point when you spit out $1.5-2.5K.

Now is it perfect? No. And that bloody annoys me because it was super expensive and I really really like the case and build quality. It would have been absolutely epic if they were flawless. But it's not. Sigh..there are a few issues. Still, for the money... this is good, this is very good. I'm keeping them.

It's a bit of a birthday to me.
Around 1999-2000, everyone thought the CD3000 were kinda crappy and Head-Fi was silly "it's just headphones man! Why talk about it!!. And now, hmm, the first are worth 3-4x what they cost back then and Head-Fi is a places where even more people discuss just headphones. :)

I'm getting it @Kamil21. That frequency chart a couple of dozen posts ago was a good find and this might be another one. :)

Even though I purchased this I'm still curious with the ZMF Eikon. They use bio drivers as well and seems tuning can be the Z1R's alley. I hates this hobby though

Rockin out on the Z1R to some Deep Purple as I type, fittingly -- Made In Japan

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,730 of 11,341
Ok, so I've poured enough hours in to these cans to finally offer some sort of opinion, my initial feelings are.....I love them. Which to be honest, is bad news, because now I'm going to end up being poorer for it. Ultimately though, whilst still not perfect (nothing ever is lol) they are pretty much what I was after, and fit my criteria so well it's almost perplexing.

I essentially wanted a musical, more bassier accompaniment to my HD800 and T1, but closed, and without sacrificing too much detail and soundstage, and the MDR-Z1R offers basically exactly that. I initially tried the LCD-2.1's, but found them too dark, and too laid back in terms of detailing, to the point that to me they sounded quite claustrophobic, bloated and lacking sparkle. I'm not quite sure why they received the incredible hype they did, because to me they were the BEATS by Dre of the audiophile world, eg having a bit too much emphasis on bass presence over articulation. Then again, BEATS headphones are super popular too lol. 

Then the LCD-XC's I auditioned fixed all that, but instead had at times a slightly coarse, and oft thin or hot sounding top end. Almost like the highs sometimes felt artificially broadened, just to make up for the bass impact. Plus I read about QC issues across their different product lines, and that soured my interest.

Then I gave the T1 2nd Generation a go, but whatever they did to it, just didn't sound as good as the originals. They lost the detailing and dynamism of the T1.1's, and the difference in bass impact was negligible, so the trade off's were no way worth it.

I can honestly say that for me, the MDR-Z1R's strike a better balance than the aforementioned Audeze cans, at least for me. The MDR-1ZR's have all that low end drama and emotion, whilst still having a very refined, smooth, but highly detailed top end, with remarkably competent imagining performance, and plenty of still natural sounding sparkle. Even the soundstage is much bigger and more holographic than I imagined it would be, especially given these are closed cans. The soundstage is obviously still not on the level of the German rivals. Bass prominence and musicality often comes at a cost, luckily the cost here is a worthwhile one, at least to me.

Whilst I would switch between my LCD2.1's and the T1's and think, do you know what, no, I'm sacrificing too much soundstage, separation and detailing for that bass. I don't have that same feeling A/B'ing with the Z1R's. I hear similar differences, but the musicality, highs and imaging of Z1R's is potent enough to compensate. It doesn't sound as congested either.

Don't get me wrong, they do sound very different to the T1's and HD800's. The HD800 is the soundstage king, I mean, it puts you right in the middle of some massive auditorium and lets your mind explore it, but I feel that comes at the cost of some engagement, body and sweetness. The sonic presentation is a tad too cold and clinical for a lot of music, and the bass impact is tepid. Then you have the T1's, mine at least offer a sweeter package, with more liquid highs, punchy mid bass, and better imaging, but at the cost of some of the HD800's epic soundstage. Detail retrieval however is still bonkers, and easily comparable to the HD800, but ultimately they still lack some of that sub bass goodness, which is perhaps the T.1's only weakness. Then come the MDR-Z1R, which offer a much more engaging and emotional overall sound compared to the others. It feels weighty, powerful and impactful. Where the T1's sometimes make you feel like you're listening to a pristine studio recording, the MDR-Z1R's comparatively often give you the feeling of being stuck in a small club or venue, listening to a live performance. Both mostly sound realistic, fluid and honest in their portrayals, they just go about it slightly differently, 

With the T1's, it's incredibly easy to separate instruments, and shift your focus from all the different layers and elements within a track. The immense imaging and airy soundstage allows that. The Z1R also allows you to do that, you just have to work a bit harder for it. All the same sounds and details are still there and present, it's just they have more of a bassy foundation and background to it all. An atmospheric thickness so to speak. As a result the Z1R's often times sound a tad on the dark side, especially if a particular track has a constant sub bass presence, and especially in comparison to the German cans, but the mids, detailing and highs are excellently balanced enough to punch above the bass presence without sounding remotely hot or artificial like some other bassier cans, to the point where you don't feel like you're missing out in exchange for that gorgeous bass. What you're left with is a pair of headphones that strike a beautiful balance between engagement and overt technical proficiency.

Having that incredible bass impact, and stunning sub bass detail and presence (probably better than in any other headphone I've ever tested), with what is a mostly very natural sounding overall presentation across the board, whilst at the same time retaining copious amounts of detail, makes for some truly addictive listening.

In any case, I'll offer more impressions soon. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back