The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #2,761 of 11,341
Does this Z1R sounds even better with Kimber?

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #2,762 of 11,341
Does this Z1R sounds even better with Kimber?

Z1R is on a different level when balanced. Bass becomes even more detailed. Ultra deep bass lines with double-bass or synthesizer is very easy to follow and track. This impression is of course just off the top of my head, the most noticeable difference when switching to balanced and TA-ZH1ES. Several variables at work here so I cannot be sure. Could be part balanced part ZH1ES.

But generally speaking Sony's new headphones benefits a lot from a balanced input.

Kimber or not, I would not know.

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #2,763 of 11,341
And that 1000 bucks would then end up going to getting a desktop amp to drive the 600ohm T1 you've just bought for cheap. :p  

Not necessary. Just buy an Objective2 amp from JDS for $129. You can even message him to let him know it's for the T1's and he'll tweak accordingly. If you need a DAC too, the Objective2+ODAC is only $279 (or get the JDS Element if you want better designed housing, for just $349). I've compared the first two with amps and DAC's orders of magnitude more expensive, and they perform just as well. In fact sometimes I actually prefer using my O2 to my Violectric V200, as I find the O2 is completely neutral, whilst the V200 is ever so slightly coloured (in a great way mind).

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #2,764 of 11,341
Z1R is on a different level when balanced. Bass becomes even more detailed. Ultra deep bass lines with double-bass or synthesizer is very easy to follow and track. This impression is of course just off the top of my head, the most noticeable difference when switching to balanced and TA-ZH1ES. Several variables at work here so I cannot be sure. Could be part balanced part ZH1ES.

But generally speaking Sony's new headphones benefits a lot from a balanced input.

Kimber or not, I would not know.

I agree as I also did XLR 4 balanced on my ha-1 and Z1R combo

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,765 of 11,341
Not necessary. Just buy an Objective2 amp from JDS for $129. 

Well I think mentioning of O2 is little risque on head-fi haha. However I do agree it's great value and I'm tempted to get one to pair with the T1, or just use as a good office setup.

Or I'll just experiment T1 with ZH1ES. @thatonenoob I don't know if you're getting a ZH1ES for review since it'd be nice to know whether it plays well with the T1.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #2,766 of 11,341

Well I think mentioning of O2 is little risque on head-fi haha. However I do agree it's great value and I'm tempted to get one to pair with the T1, or just use as a good office setup.

Or I'll just experiment T1 with ZH1ES. @thatonenoob I don't know if you're getting a ZH1ES for review since it'd be nice to know whether it plays well with the T1.

I don't know what's going on my end so it may be a while in the coming....shucks.  At any rate I'm completely overwhelmed review wise right now  
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #2,767 of 11,341
Can you buy a Z1R XLR balanced cable yet? Are they just the same ports as the 7Z's? Annoying that Sony included this random proprietary cable, but not an XLR one.

I don't want to spend an insane amount of money on one either, and I'm not really one who believes billion dollar cables add notable sound differences (not including the difference between switching from 3.5mm and balanced). I actually decided not to review cables because a few years ago when I was testing numerous different cables etc (some that were sent to me and worth hundreds), I didn't have the heart to mention the fact that after blind comparisons, I heard no discernible differences. Not exactly what they want to read given the implications.....

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,768 of 11,341
  Can you buy a Z1R XLR balanced cable yet? Are they just the same ports as the 7Z's? Annoying that Sony included this random proprietary cable, but not an XLR one.

I don't want to spend an insane amount of money on one either, and I'm not really one who believes billion dollar cables add notable sound differences (not including the difference between switching from 3.5mm and balanced). I actually decided not to review cables because a few years ago when I was testing numerous different cables etc (some that were sent to me and worth hundreds), I didn't have the heart to mention the fact that after blind comparisons, I heard no discernible differences. Not exactly what they want to read given the implications.....

Best is to build a 4.4 to XLR adaptor.  However, it's more or less impossible now, considering that e-earphone is more or less sold out on the good ol' 4.4.  You'll be competing with just about every IEM and cable manufacturer in the world to get your hands on some.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,769 of 11,341
  Best is to build a 4.4 to XLR adaptor.  However, it's more or less impossible now, considering that e-earphone is more or less sold out on the good ol' 4.4.  You'll be competing with just about every IEM and cable manufacturer in the world to get your hands on some.

I'm awful at modding lol. Is there not an adaptor that's available to buy anywhere on the web? Happy to pay someone to build me one as well.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2,772 of 11,341
Nov 21, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,773 of 11,341
About 2 weeks ago.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #2,774 of 11,341

4.4 is JEITA's standard for balanced so it's not proprietary. I think more products will roll out soon, especially from Japan. It's quite good for portable given XLR cannot rotate.

I agree the kinds of jacks existing now is a bit daunting. And count me in the cable agnostic camp. However Sony gives the Kimber balanced for free if one buys the amp and headphone bundle. Won't refuse that. All my Kimber Sony cables came with bundle purchases.

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #2,775 of 11,341
Hi, is JEITA stand for anything? I'm looking to make an adapter for the 4.4mm balanced to 4pin xlr and may be able to find the female connector better through JEITA search.
4.4 is JEITA's standard for balanced so it's not proprietary. I think more products will roll out soon, especially from Japan. It's quite good for portable given XLR cannot rotate.

I agree the kinds of jacks existing now is a bit daunting. And count me in the cable agnostic camp. However Sony gives the Kimber balanced for free if one buys the amp and headphone bundle. Won't refuse that. All my Kimber Sony cables came with bundle purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back