The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Sep 1, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,201 of 1,278
Is the new one as microphonic?
Anyone able to compare to Technics eah-Tz700?
Is there driver flex or microphonics? Still don’t understand why the cable isn’t detachable the earphone though for that price

To me, microphonics is the same. Which is, poor. You essentially have to sit still when using them. But that's not a problem for me. I have true wireless buds if I'm going to be moving.

The cable probably isn't detachable because how small the housings are. Now, did Senn have to make them that small? I dunno. Though something has to be said for the size vs fidelity you get. These are super easy to travel with (fit in the coin pocket of my jeans).

I actually had driver flex with the left earpiece of my IE 800 S. Interestingly, it has gone away. My IE 800 had no driver flex whatsoever. From my research online, a few have reported it with the IE 800 S, but not the majority. I would've hit up Senn for a warranty replacement if I had bought the thing (mine is a review unit). There shouldn't be driver flex.

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #1,203 of 1,278
I know this is an IE800S thread, but I'm on the fence right now between picking this up or the Final Audio E5000. I'm able to the IE800S for about $600USD where I am, and while there's still a fairly significant price difference, I'm a little torn as to which one I'd like more.

Any thoughts or recommendations on getting the IE800S? Would it be a big difference in sound quality?

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #1,204 of 1,278
I know this is an IE800S thread, but I'm on the fence right now between picking this up or the Final Audio E5000. I'm able to the IE800S for about $600USD where I am, and while there's still a fairly significant price difference, I'm a little torn as to which one I'd like more.

Any thoughts or recommendations on getting the IE800S? Would it be a big difference in sound quality?
IE800s at $600USD would be a steal in my opinion. While I haven't had a E5000, I've been tempted many times but I don't lean towards warm sound signatures. The IE800s to my ears have a near balanced signature (slightly V shape).

Fit wise the E5000 is better, able to cable swap, and tip swap (easier at least).
However sound wise I believe it doesn't have the level of detail the IE800s have.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,205 of 1,278
IE800s at $600USD would be a steal in my opinion. While I haven't had a E5000, I've been tempted many times but I don't lean towards warm sound signatures. The IE800s to my ears have a near balanced signature (slightly V shape).

Fit wise the E5000 is better, able to cable swap, and tip swap (easier at least).
However sound wise I believe it doesn't have the level of detail the IE800s have.

Indeed! This is where I struggle with. My only other Senns I’ve owned are the TW first gens and I really enjoyed the tune of those. So I’m really interested in what the IE800S would be like.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,207 of 1,278
Indeed! This is where I struggle with. My only other Senns I’ve owned are the TW first gens and I really enjoyed the tune of those. So I’m really interested in what the IE800S would be like.
If you enjoyed their TW IEMs I think you'll enjoy the IE800s more. To me the IE800s is also a better all-around when it comes to genres. It plays them all very well.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,208 of 1,278
If you enjoyed their TW IEMs I think you'll enjoy the IE800s more. To me the IE800s is also a better all-around when it comes to genres. It plays them all very well.

To add to this, maybe it's a bit cliché to say it, but to me the IE800S (and IE800 with slightly more sparkle) are the only IEMs that are acceptable if one values the sound signature of the HD600 or even 650/660S. It's not the HD600, of course, but it has that same natural sound.

I had cases recently in working from home where I needed to quickly change from the HD-600 or 660S to the IE800S and I didn't cringe at the change in sound quality.

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,209 of 1,278
To add to this, maybe it's a bit cliché to say it, but to me the IE800S (and IE800 with slightly more sparkle) are the only IEMs that are acceptable if one values the sound signature of the HD600 or even 650/660S. It's not the HD600, of course, but it has that same natural sound.

I had cases recently in working from home where I needed to quickly change from the HD-600 or 660S to the IE800S and I didn't cringe at the change in sound quality.

I like how Senn has a consistent flavor throughout. I personally didn't care for the HD6XX when I tried it, but can easily see how it comes from the same company compared to the IE 800 S. I actually have the HD 820 and to my ears the IE 800 S sounds like a mini version of that, which I adore. The IE 800 S is what I keep by my bedside (wouldn't dare try the 820's in bed, haha)

I would use the IE 800 S exclusively for travel but it's isolation is poor. Comply tips didn't help a ton for me. So I use my Shure earphones on the go. Would like to see Senn improve on isolation in a successor. Shure runs circles around them when it comes to isolation.

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,210 of 1,278

Be aware the Finals are power monsters and require a bit of current to come alive. Some daps struggle a bit with their demands, so i’d see on either the Final topic or one for your dap to see if anyone is running the same combo as you. This isn’t an issue with the Senns.

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,211 of 1,278

E5000 has a very natural and relaxed sound signature.
The bass is a lot more impactful than the IE800S, the sub-bass extension is awsome.
Enjoyable and clear vocals, almost ideal highs - not bright or piercing, having details and body.

But the E5000 have 2 major drawbacks:
- they are extremely hard to drive;
- sound leakage is huge, almost impossible to use in quiet places with other people being present.

The IE800S is a more complete IEM, having a more detailed and refined sound with a rich midrange, sounding more opened then the E5000, which is somehow dark.

If the E5000 wouldn't have the 2 drawbacks and if I'd have to choose between the 2, listening to them for the first time, I would choose the Final, no doubt, given the price performance.

However, after using the IE800S for some time, I must say there is something special in their sound which always makes me to come back.

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #1,212 of 1,278
E5000 has a very natural and relaxed sound signature.
The bass is a lot more impactful than the IE800S, the sub-bass extension is awsome.
Enjoyable and clear vocals, almost ideal highs - not bright or piercing, having details and body.

But the E5000 have 2 major drawbacks:
- they are extremely hard to drive;
- sound leakage is huge, almost impossible to use in quiet places with other people being present.

The IE800S is a more complete IEM, having a more detailed and refined sound with a rich midrange, sounding more opened then the E5000, which is somehow dark.

If the E5000 wouldn't have the 2 drawbacks and if I'd have to choose between the 2, listening to them for the first time, I would choose the Final, no doubt, given the price performance.

However, after using the IE800S for some time, I must say there is something special in their sound which always makes me to come back.

love your breakdown and separation between the two IEM’s.

Thanks for all the responses, I think I’ll go and pick up the IE800S!

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,214 of 1,278
Does the IE800S has the same sound signature as the HD800S?

It's warmer, like the 820 would be to the 800S. But the 800S would have better midrange, and wider stage/imaging, obviously

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #1,215 of 1,278
Hi Alan,

In any other case I would be all over this trade, but I'm trying to gather some cash for a new DAC I have my eyes on.

Best,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back