The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Dec 20, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #601 of 1,278
I disagree, that treble extension is one of its biggest strengths. Why not get SE846, Xelento or another Smooth high-end IEM if you prefer less treble?

Well the IE800 is a smooth sounding enough IEM already in my book, it's neither hot nor fatiguing to listen, even loud, due to a rather massive dip at 7/8khz, treble is not just only the 10khz band. After being quite impressed by it initially, I have come to rather dislike the kind of "refined" sawtooth shaped treble the IE800 and many others do and when I want bright I much prefer IEMs with more linear treble such as the Panasonic RP-HDE10 I currently have in my sig.

You think every iem should be rolled off and no choice for those that want an iem where cymbals sound like they do live? Why do you think the ie800 has sold as many as it has?

I didn't say that treble should be rolled off in every IEM or that people shouldn't have choices... I just said that the IE800 isolated and exaggeratedly high top end could be considered a weakness by some just as other consider it a strength. And cymbals certainly don't sound like they sound live with the IE800 IMHO. As for why it sells so much, it's open to debate whether its qualities alone account for it. Senn's brand name along with their massive distribution network and advertising might account for quite a good portion of that.

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #602 of 1,278
Well the IE800 is a smooth sounding enough IEM already in my book, it's neither hot nor fatiguing to listen, even loud, due to a rather massive dip at 7/8khz, treble is not just only the 10khz band. After being quite impressed by it initially, I have come to rather dislike the kind of "refined" sawtooth shaped treble the IE800 and many others do and when I want bright I much prefer IEMs with more linear treble such as the Panasonic RP-HDE10 I currently have in my sig.

I didn't say that treble should be rolled off in every IEM or that people shouldn't have choices... I just said that the IE800 isolated and exaggeratedly high top end could be considered a weakness by some just as other consider it a strength. And cymbals certainly don't sound like they sound live with the IE800 IMHO. As for why it sells so much, it's open to debate whether its qualities alone account for it. Senn's brand name along with their massive distribution network and advertising might account for quite a good portion of that.

Welp, I doubht anybody buys it without hearing it, it is a 700$ investment after all...

As for the live cymbal, this is as close as it gets, nothing comes closer from what I heard.

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #603 of 1,278

You are missing the point that many don't agree the top end is exaggerated. That is your opinion, which you are entitled to, but it's certainly not a fact.

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #604 of 1,278
Welp, I doubht anybody buys it without hearing it, it is a 700$ investment after all...

As for the live cymbal, this is as close as it gets, nothing comes closer from what I heard.

You'd be surprised at how much some people send on expensive stuff just for the social status it gives them and lets them can brag at how much they spend on it at the office round here... Sennheiser is perfectly positioned for getting a nice slice of those IMO.

And we'll have to agree we completely disagree on cymbals I guess then. IMO you get some aspect of cymbals sounds better than others but not all of it whereas others may not be as good on those aspects butr sound more natural and preferable to me as a whole.

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #605 of 1,278
You are missing the point that many don't agree the top end is exaggerated. That is your opinion, which you are entitled to, but it's certainly not a fact.

Well many people have treble hearing issues due to ageing so it makes sense that many can say that, but OK let's say the top end is not exaggerated, let's say it's only isolated which makes it feel exaggerated to me and the many others who think the same. :wink:

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #606 of 1,278
Well many people have treble hearing issues due to ageing so it makes sense that many can say that, but OK let's say the top end is not exaggerated, let's say it's only isolated which makes it feel exaggerated to me and the many others who think the same. :wink:

I would advise you to ignore the ie800S then, as i find a very similar top end, with just a slightly filled out midrange and better integration. But be surprised if anyone not liking the original model would like these.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #607 of 1,278

Oh hey, another Panasonic Rp-HDE-10-S fan! Really solid neutralish warmish sig on those- though I have found them very tip/source dependant. Very poor fit for me unfortunately, but the combo w/ my Shozy Alien for some reason sounds magical.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #608 of 1,278
Oh hey, another Panasonic Rp-HDE-10-S fan! Really solid neutralish warmish sig on those- though I have found them very tip/source dependant. Very poor fit for me unfortunately, but the combo w/ my Shozy Alien for some reason sounds magical.
I view them as neutral/bright with moderately elevated and non bleeding but deep, tight and impactful bass and so far the more I listen to them the more I like them. I agree with the fit, being a closed design it's quite hard to get and maintain an optimal fit/seal but it's very much worth the effort/pain IMO. I am hoping to find a similarly tuned and technically at least as good dynamic driver IEM with vented design some day, perhaps the Dunu Falcon-S, waiting for reviews on that one.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #610 of 1,278
Got the new ie800S yesterday.

Sound =beautiful, very balanced, no fatiguing treble peaks, wonderfully revealing and spacious soundstage

They are so tiny!

Never had the previous iteration so can't comment on refinements.

Congrats! I love the tiny design of the 800/800S.

Dec 21, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #611 of 1,278
Congrats! I love the tiny design of the 800/800S.

It's astonishing how stealth they are - seriously, the medium silicone they came fitted with just fit me perfectly and they are so comfortable, they just disappear in my ears.

It's a head-fi cliche, of course, but i am listening to all my fave tracks again and am in awe of how effortlessly and beautifully these Senns shine a light on the music, without being harsh or clinical. Smooth and enveloping is the watchword.

I was torn between the IE800S and the Shure Se846 - impossible to know if I made the right decision but I'm not regretting it.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #612 of 1,278
It's astonishing how stealth they are - seriously, the medium silicone they came fitted with just fit me perfectly and they are so comfortable, they just disappear in my ears.
It's a head-fi cliche, of course, but i am listening to all my fave tracks again and am in awe of how effortlessly and beautifully these Senns shine a light on the music, without being harsh or clinical. Smooth and enveloping is the watchword. I was torn between the IE800S and the Shure Se846 - impossible to know if I made the right decision but I'm not regretting it.

Yep the small footprint is definitely one of the big selling point IMHO. It's non fatiguing that way, you completely forget them ! If only microphonics was not plaguing when worn down... I am ok using them over ear on the move no microphonics issue then.

I can tell you one thing as I owned both SE846 and the original IE800 at one time : from memory IE800 had greater soundstage, much more clarity and transparency as well as extension but the original IE800 could be harsh and fatiguing at times (maybe it's because I have different sources now though but I feel the S is more balanced, smooth). On the other end the SE846 was more intimate and smooth, so much so I ended up using the white filter a lot (the "brightest" of the three). The sub bass of the SE846 is something but I always felt the IE800 has more bass detail, control and impact overall.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #614 of 1,278
Man, I just upgraded my HTC10 and got the new LG V30.

Holy **** the IE800S sound utterly magnificent through this phone.

I am not surprised, enjoy!

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #615 of 1,278
My IE800S review is up!!! Soon to be published on HF, but for now you can check it out here: https://twister6.com/2017/12/25/sennheiser-ie800s/

senns_ie800s_27.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back