The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Nov 27, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #466 of 1,278
I have to go against the grain and say more powerful dedicated amps don’t give better sound. Also I don’t think IE800S and mojo is bassy heavy, mojo is mid centric to my ears. I’d like add that chords DACs extract the most detail without sounding anylitical followed by Astell and Kern.

Not exactly what I wrote or it came out like this it's not what I meant. I mean they do scale up to better source, and particularly ones that do provide enough current, not necessarily dedicated amp. Also said to keep the gain low :)

As for Mojo pairing, it's a good pairing but in my opinion bass is less defined and articulate than dX200 and to my taste the lower mids stronger presence has a significant influence on the overall presentation. As I said earlier YMMV, just personal taste. DX200 has leaner bass with the S (which actually is not my "default" taste) but it fits the overall balanced signature. I sure will still enjoy IE800S out of Mojo occasionally because of the fuller signature. One thing for sure whichever source the IE800S baseline will be there : great separation and detail, fast dynamic driver, striking timbre for instruments and vocals, very good soundstage and imaging.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #467 of 1,278
Speaking of bassheads... @Kunlun I might be the only person interested in this, but any quick thoughts in relation to Future Sonics G10? I'd just grab MG5Pro but not into customs.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #468 of 1,278
I have to go against the grain and say more powerful dedicated amps don’t give better sound. Also I don’t think IE800S and mojo is bassy heavy, mojo is mid centric to my ears. I’d like add that chords DACs extract the most detail without sounding anylitical followed by Astell and Kern.

I'm going to have to do some blind tests, or maybe my desktop amp is a coloured sound. I never felt like this with my ie80's or sony iem's, and my expectation bias is towards no difference. That's why i said i am surprised that it seems that the 800S sounded better to be from the powerful amp. Or maybe it's because your daps are more powerful than mine, meaning there is still performance that can be gained for me, but not for you?
I will setup a few of my amps sometime this week, use the same dac with all of them for some blind testing.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #469 of 1,278
That's why i said i am surprised that it seems that the 800S sounded better to be from the powerful amp. Or maybe it's because your daps are more powerful than mine, meaning there is still performance that can be gained for me, but not for you?
I will setup a few of my amps sometime this week, use the same dac with all of them for some blind testing.

That's what I meant when I said the S scale up, power is not the only variable with better sources, although it plays a role especially on headroom and dynamics. I am not knowledgeable enough to give further explanations on amp designs but I do notice the signature varies and (IMHO) benefits from higher output, voltage swing etc...

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #470 of 1,278
Sennheiser IE 800 S is the successor to the mighty IE 800!

What do we know so far:

- Successor to the mighty ie800
- Price: 1000$

The best thing about the IE800 S is that you can now buy the IE800 for $579.99 from B&H. Personally, I prefer my original IE800. Imaging is better, due I have no doubt, to what many experience as "peakiness". Beyond that the difference are very subtle, and is (IMHO) a matter of "seasoning". Hardly a way to justify $400. To be fair, my tastes also hew toward the original HD800 over the newer HD800 S. If you already own the IE800, I'd recommend the AKG K3003 as an interesting contrast worthy of your $1000. Certainly not better....just different in a complimentary way.

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #471 of 1,278
The best thing about the IE800 S is that you can now buy the IE800 for $579.99 from B&H. Personally, I prefer my original IE800. Imaging is better, due I have no doubt, to what many experience as "peakiness". Beyond that the difference are very subtle, and is (IMHO) a matter of "seasoning". Hardly a way to justify $400. To be fair, my tastes also hew toward the original HD800 over the newer HD800 S. If you already own the IE800, I'd recommend the AKG K3003 as an interesting contrast worthy of your $1000. Certainly not better....just different in a complimentary way.

It ain’t subtle to my ears, well worth the extra cash :beerchug:

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #472 of 1,278
It ain’t subtle to my ears, well worth the extra cash :beerchug:

Well, one can argue that the S is mainly a fine tuning upgrade with the added bonus of being able to enjoy balanced with either of the two current on the go options. Like you I think it's a big difference as tuning is really more refined and elegant, and balanced is no small addition as it pushes soundstage and imaging further but then again I understand how someone would want the raw diamond, uncut. Matter of taste. I know the original IE800 was fatiguing, the S is not.

But if you go down the pricing angle, IE800S is a bargain as it's competitive against TOTL IEMs and god knows those prices have gone up big time lately...
I did some Vega vs IE800S comparative listening and aside from different tuning I don't see them as competing in different categories.

Tuning wise, both are dynamic and engaging IEMs with great resolution.

The Vega have more body, weight and impact... bass sound thunderous and big compared to the S (speaker like, @flinkenick is to be credited for coining them as such) and treble have more weight. Lower mids are more forward.

The IE800S on their end have more air, wider soundstage, mids are more detailed and lively with great timbre for instruments and vocals alike there is a realism that is such a treat. Higher mids are smoother than the orginal IE800. Treble are thinner but perceived detail and air are greater (smoother than original IE800). Depending on source the S can have more body and weight (Mojo) which is quite enjoyable but depending ont the musical genre you loose some air & soundstage as well as overall balanced signature you get with the DX200/amp3. You can't have it all at the same time :p

For me the form factor that can be perceived as a flaw (no detachable cable, not designed to be worn over ear) is one distinctive big plus as you totally forget they're here given their crazy small footprint (granted to need the shirt clip or over ear on the move because of the weight of that Y split and microphonics).

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #474 of 1,278
Just ordered the IE800S, looking forward to trying them with my Sony WM1A - good to hear encouraging reports here :)

Since I owned the WM1A before DX200... I think it's going to be a great pairing with IE800S :)

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #475 of 1,278
Sennheiser's own RCS800 should still work with the "S" even though it's 2.5 mm plug has an extra ring for balanced output.
I have it. It doesn't seem to work.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #477 of 1,278
Just some functions or not at all?....regardless the RCS800 is a pricey accessory for what it does but necessary for some...maybe a 3rd party alternative?
It doesnt work at all and they're not bringing a new one yet.
Haven't seen anything with a remote for that model yet.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #478 of 1,278
After further amp rolling with the DX200, and spent quality time with amp2 (organic and musical amp) it's much better than my initial impressions. Might be burn-in (brain or driver, or both), but anyway for late night listen I'll pick amp2, less dynamic range, detail and air but more weight, depth and texture.

I really enjoy the S, so much so that I am not sure I'll keep the Vega or the low footprint Flares PRO as the S has even a lower footpring and sounds quite good out of the iPhone which means I can avoid taking too much pricey audio gear while traveling. I would probably pick a BA IEM to compliment the S down the line :p

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #479 of 1,278
After further amp rolling with the DX200, and spent quality time with amp2 (organic and musical amp) it's much better than my initial impressions. Might be burn-in (brain or driver, or both), but anyway for late night listen I'll pick amp2, less dynamic range, detail and air but more weight, depth and texture.

I really enjoy the S, so much so that I am not sure I'll keep the Vega or the low footprint Flares PRO as the S has even a lower footpring and sounds quite good out of the iPhone which means I can't avoid taking too much pricey audio gear while traveling. I would probably pick a BA IEM to compliment the S down the line :p

That's my thoughts on the Flare Pro's as well, can't see me keeping them after using the Senn's.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #480 of 1,278
Just some functions or not at all?....regardless the RCS800 is a pricey accessory for what it does but necessary for some...maybe a 3rd party alternative?

Contacted Senn....no ie800s mic cable in the works yet...contacted various 3rd party custom cable companies, no as well.

I think 3rd parties won't make it, probably because #1: ie800s terminates at the Y and not the earpiece so cables would have to be completely redesigned and #2. remote mics are not that easy to make if they want to be compatible with iOS/Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back