The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
Jul 22, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #526 of 666
Then the word isn't that. Can be then that you rig is the problem, or some of the music that you listen (have overwhelming bass). Or if you play games, can be the bass in them is overwhelming/very strong. but isn't the fault of the headphones.
But if you are used to the bass of headphones with less midbass and highbass (as the DT880 '05, because the DT880 '03 is a bassless.....), then the DT990 can appear to be overwhelming...
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The latest 990. I don't know if muddy is the best way to describe the 990 but the bass was overwhelming and coloring the midrange compared to the 880 and 325i on the same rig.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #527 of 666
Good for you if you find bliss in the 990.

I've forwarded your advise to my friend with the 990. Maybe he'll ditch his Larvy 10 source for a HP notebook to give his 990 a second chance...

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #528 of 666
Quote:

Maybe he'll ditch his Larvy 10 source for a HP notebook to give his 990 a second chance...

*Lavry

Though yes, the DT990 is quite colored.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #529 of 666
Not bliss at all (it needs a better and powerfull amp for that...), it isn't perfect but near. They excell in many things where others are lacking.... And they are better that many headphones out there, in my honest opinion.

Quote:

Good for you if you find bliss in the 990.

I've forwarded your advise to my friend with the 990. Maybe he'll ditch his Larvy 10 source for a HP notebook to give his 990 a second chance...

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #531 of 666
Maybe that a better DAC [when i refer to a better DAC, i refer to a one very powerful...(as a Keces, a Zero DAC, or Zhaolu (or as it be written) for example (but these are very big to consider and expensive (well not much the zero))) and not a portable (that will be no good for nothing...)] can help with the sound [More bass extension, more output current/voltage, a bigger soundstage/headstage, more mids, better separation/image, More treble extension (i known all these blah, blah, blah...)] in general, but it's no good, if i can't use the funtions that my DAC/DSP have, and that are indispensable for me, you see?.
And my DAC/DSP is portable and self-sufficient (it doesn't need batteries) and sound very good, clear and clean enough for me and with it, i can use a microphone, a portable player, etc.
For example, with another DAC i can't decode and view multichannel movies/anime/music; i lost the decode capability that my DAC/DSP have for any x.1 sound formats, and another caracteristics that i love.... You understand that i refer?
Have another thing extra in my desk, is not the best (My desk is already full...). At least with an appropiate amp (i can get that benefits of an very good DAC) and i can sell my other amp or put it away.
As i said before, my DAC is good enough in bare quality to consider another (i don't have the need to...).
Quote:

Instead of more power, a good DAC/amp running off your notebook will be more helpful for evaluating quality cans.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #533 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrosis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure e2c.

I have them and don't even bother to list them. Don't hate someone enough to give them away. Great for consuming drawer space though.

I agree. Compared to the current SE### line, the E2c and E3c both suffered from a seriously rolled-off top end - and the E2c also sounds too dark for my tastes (the audio balance on the E2c leans towards the bass, all right, but the bass has little to no impact, leading to the impression of overall muddiness to the sound).

Also, I feel that the Audio Technica headphones - the ATH-A### series and my recently purchased ATH-ES7 - are a bit overrated: The mids on those headphones sounded a little funky.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #537 of 666
AKG K701 - Boring and lifeless. No particular fault (although the lack of bass compared to other phones is noticeable), but no special qualities either, sort of the 'Toyota Camry' of headphones.

Sony CD3000 - Got sibilance? My ears hurt after 10 minutes of using these phones. Sold without hesitation.

Grado RS-1 - Sibilant and uncomfortable. Not much of a soundstage either. I can sort of understand their appeal with certain music, but I feel they are waaay overpriced for what they offer.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #539 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K701 - Boring and lifeless. No particular fault (although the lack of bass compared to other phones is noticeable), but no special qualities either, sort of the 'Toyota Camry' of headphones.

Do you have the K701?
Or just A....

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #540 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the K701?
Or just A....

Owned them for about 2 months and tried to enjoy them, but couldn't. They weren't fully burned in, but then again, I really doubt that hitting the 'magic 400 hour' (or what is it, 600 now
wink.gif
) mark would have made much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back