The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
Feb 4, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #586 of 666
All headphones buy speakers the only advantage of headphones is that you can listen music without disturbing the others the sound is very unrealistic on a headphone better buy speakers you save your hearing and the sound is natural and good .

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #587 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOgdncrsti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All headphones buy speakers the only advantage of headphones is that you can listen music without disturbing the others the sound is very unrealistic on a headphone better buy speakers you save your hearing and the sound is natural and good .

What headphones have you actually used?

I certainly love speakers as well but I just have to see some more detail on some of this.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #589 of 666
Quote:

have many from cheap to 400 $ with amp they cant make you feel like your listen to speakers with a subwoofer They don t deserve the money considering what speakers you can buy .

$400 can't get you off the ground with speakers if you want anything of quality whatsoever.

You have to do better than this.

Obviously I think everyone would agree that, yes, if you have the speakers and sound system cranking that headphones can't duplicate that or what it feels like.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #590 of 666
Quote:

have many from cheap to 400 $ with amp they cant make you feel like your listen to speakers with a subwoofer They don t deserve the money considering what speakers you can buy .

Absolutely and adamantly disagree. I can't find a speaker setup with the level detail as my headphone setup.

I would love a speaker setup with the same level of quality and details as my headphone, but its well beyond my budget.

I completely disagree with you.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #591 of 666
Quote:

Quote:

Flawed reasoning.

Firstly, those used at home are mostly open or semi-open - they definitely disturb others (e.g. all Grados). Sound is not unrealistic at all, in fact it will cost you an arm and a leg to get a surround system that can get the clarity and timbre that headphones like the HD600 can provide.

Also, headphones have added advantage of being closer to you - with speakers the air and the surroundings affect the music too much, means more money to put things like Echo Busters and foam to absorb/reflect sound.
A beyer DT880 will be much better than say, Bose Configuration 3, for the same price.

And $400 (is that USD?) won't ever get you a decent 5.1 speaker system. The clarity will be ugh - the only advantage home systems really have would be the "visceral bone-thumping bass" and the true-to-life soundstaging. If that is your take on "realistic sound" I think you're missing out on a lot.
And that's not counting the many other miscellaneous accesories you have to get to correct the sound!

Otherwise, to save your wallet for certain bleeding, headphones > speaker systems in bang for buck and functionality. No arguments on that.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #592 of 666
I have to say car audio is the best bang for your buck, albeit the most risky as my entire car setup has been stolen twice. I used to have a subwoofer setup that vibrated my larynx
icon10.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #593 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quitoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say car audio is the best bang for your buck, albeit the most risky as my entire car setup has been stolen twice. I used to have a subwoofer setup that vibrated my larynx
icon10.gif

Disagree, I have owned a car system over 5k but the road noise and metal definitely kill the sounds and not to mention speaker placement is not the best. A good headphone for less than a 1000 will kill any car stereo i have ever heard. A HD600 with Woo6 for example, the clarity and detail can not replicate in car stereo.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #594 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disagree, I have owned a car system over 5k but the road noise and metal definitely kill the sounds and not to mention speaker placement is not the best. A good headphone for less than a 1000 will kill any car stereo i have ever heard. A HD600 with Woo6 for example, the clarity and detail can not replicate in car stereo.

Well its all just opinion.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #597 of 666
The bass its to weak on a 400 usd $ than a 400 $ speaker system all the details all the ..... that are you say its an advantage its in vain if the bass its too boring and not like a speaker and its better for your ears with a headphone you can t listen long at very high volume with speakers you can listen at very high volumes and it crush a headphone at bass have detail have ... but the sound its to linear you can t feel the bass you only hear and this is very booring the sensation produced by a powerful subwoofer deserve all the money .

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #598 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

not to mention that you find more rattles in your car and have to sound proof it as you spend more and more money.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #599 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I get a good chuckle when I see people with Bose Quiet Comfort phones on airplanes, especially when they're stuggling to get the clunky case for them in and out of their briefcase or purse. I just pull tiny IEMs out of my pocket and smile.
icon10.gif

hah I do the same but not with IEMs i use my little cheap sennheiser earbuds or my hd280 PROs

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #600 of 666
Quote:

The bass its to weak on a 400 usd $ than a 400 $ speaker system all the details all the ..... that are you say its an advantage its in vain if the bass its too boring and not like a speaker and its better for your ears with a headphone you can t listen long at very high volume with speakers you can listen at very high volumes and it crush a headphone at bass have detail have ... but the sound its to linear you can t feel the bass you only hear and this is very booring the sensation produced by a powerful subwoofer deserve all the money .

What the hell are you talking about?

Bass is not all there is to audio. Well fine, you're entitled to your own opinion, but using "bone-thumping bass" to justify a lousy $400 speaker system? You've got to do better than that.

A $400 headphone on the other hand can deliver

1)Timbral accuracy
2)Good bass that doesn't rox your sox
3)Well-controlled throughout the frequency spectrum (won't say the same for speakers)
4)A lot more detail (because headphones are what, right next to your ears?)

A subwoofer deserves all that money? I don't think so.
I personally would choose timbre, good HMB(Highs, Mids and Bass) altogether and superb clarity over a home surround system that doesn't even come close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back